September 2015 Moms

Why won't he sleep through the night?

BabyBugutskyBabyBugutsky member
edited August 2016 in September 2015 Moms
It's 3:25am. I'm lying in bed wide awake after waking up at 2:15 wit my LO who was put to bed sound asleep at 8:15. This is the fourth night in a row he hasn't slept through the night. I'm exhausted. He plays all day, runs around, crawls everywhere, eats three meals and has 4 8 oz bottles a day. 

We are away from home this week but he has a crib and his own room he has slept in since he was a baby. He does this at home too. We get two weeks of solid sleep, then two weeks of constant wake ups and not sleeping through the night. Pretty sure it's teething and it sucks! Any tips on how to help him get through it easier? I feel bad for the little guy but at least he goes back to sleep! Me on the other hand...

Re: Why won't he sleep through the night?

• So sorry to hear about the night time wake ups, not fun!!  Teething is definitely taking its toll in our house too...he is fine running around, playing and having fun, two seconds later full on screaming crying!  His eating has been poor lately too...basically wants to live off of puffs or dry cereal.  Just about refuses anything that comes towards his mouth!

We suspected he may have a little stomach bug or something because he was vomiting, so we took him to the doctor a few days ago, and everything looked great.  Doctor said he may have a little stomach bug he's trying to fight, but also noticed he has inflamed gums with more teeth on the way...including a molar, yikes!!!
  • I would suggest giving motrin at night and seeing if that helps at all, avoiding all foods that may be upsetting his stomach, and if he's gassy at night maybe giving gas drops before bed. Good luck and I hope things improve. My LO woke me up every hour last night, Yay one year molars  :s
  • Loading the player...
  • Same issues here. Good for a while then back to night time wakings. No advice just commiserating.  We have done it all and it never works for good because something is always changing, teeth, sickness, bug bites. Its one step forward and two back. Someday it will be better...I hope.
  • I ask myself this question every night. Jake is still yet to sleep a full night. Last night I was up 7 times, the night before 6. It's exhausting to say the least. He's teething, but I give him Calpol and a teething powder before bed; he still wakes up. 

Hope we can all get some proper rest soon. We need our energy to keep up with them in the day.
    Goodness! I seem to spend my life saying "nooooo" feel like doing a recording of my voice, as I'm so sick of saying it; as Jake tries to pull the fire guard off for the zillionth time that day. 
  • It's gotten better! He's sleeping through the night. But with teething I'm sure it will change again. 
  • @BabyBugutsky Sooo happy for you, but also a tad jealous! 

Well done, mama!  <3
  • Haha thanks @RobsMrs77! I'm sure it will change when more of his teeth start to come in! 
  • I'm glad I read this thread. I was starting to think I was the only one. My daughter wakes about 2-3 times a night. She slept all through the night for about a month when she was around 3 months. Thought we were golden! But ever since then ugh...sleep how I miss you! I'm hoping as we get closer to her first birthday it will magically happen, haha. She's a good eater so idk what it is. She wakes, nurses & goes right back to sleep!

Glad he's sleeping for you now @BabyBugutsky
  • @heft619 Same here. Ours slept through the night from age 2-4 months. Then we went on a road trip and broke our perfect sleeper. Ever since then it's at least 2 times every single night (more obviously when he's sick or teething). He's a great eater during the day and sucks it down at night and then cuddles back into his crib no problem. And since most of the time I'm hungry when he wakes up to feed, I figure he's gotta be legit hungry too so I'm not about to refuse. It's comforting to know that this is all still normal because the lack of sleep is seriously no joke.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • Hoping it gets better for all you ladies soon too! I'm sure when more teeth pop he will be up again. 

Hang on ladies!
  • Any updates ladies ?? Baby girl about to be 1 and for the past 4 weeks -NO SLEEP. So tired cuz I work full time too but all of a sudden she's up and jumping at night with a huge smile on her face and then she's body rocking back and forth while humming! She used to be a good sleeper ! Day time naps are pretty good 2 of them a day and naps from 1-2 hours each and bedtime at 730 but she's up at least 2-3 times a night !
    Just drinking lots of coffee to carry me through and hopefully nobody notices my sleep deprived delirious state at work ! 
    Please tell me this ends !!!
  • Any updates ladies ?? Baby girl about to be 1 and for the past 4 weeks -NO SLEEP. So tired cuz I work full time too but all of a sudden she's up and jumping at night with a huge smile on her face and then she's body rocking back and forth while humming! She used to be a good sleeper ! Day time naps are pretty good 2 of them a day and naps from 1-2 hours each and bedtime at 730 but she's up at least 2-3 times a night !
    Just drinking lots of coffee to carry me through and hopefully nobody notices my sleep deprived delirious state at work ! 
    Please tell me this ends !!!
    Whenever I have a happy baby MOTN I look at a possible schedule change.  Sleep needs change as LO gets older and too much day time sleep can lead to something like this.  Most babies this age will fall in between 12-14 total hours of sleep throughout a 24 hour period.  So if you are getting 3-4 hours of sleep during the day you are looking at 10 hours of sleep overnight tops.  If baby is in bed too long you can end up with split nights.  It may be time to push bed time back, extend wake times between naps or before bed or cap naps.  

Another cause of persistent split nights can be physical milestones though so another thing to consider. 
  • Thank you for the advice. I think if it doesn't correct in another few days I may have to either push bedtime back (although by 7pm she's done for the day, very cranky and yawning) or maybe consider second nap phasing out (she has been skipping the second nap all together every other day). Maybe she's consolidating to one nap a day sooner then expected? I lay her down around 130 and she's playing until 3 lol. But when that happens I assume I need an earlier bedtime. Not sure, hopefully this all works itself out tho! 
  • https://childsleepscience.wordpress.com/2014/09/09/the-split-night-why-some-babies-are-awake-for-hours-in-the-middle-of-the-night-and-how-to-change-it/

This link was really helpful to me in understanding some of the causes.  It might be worth a read especially if it continues.  We were getting them pretty consistently around 8 months which was solved by cutting out nap#3 completely.  

I frequently cap naps at this point and likely will continue to do so.  If DS isn't awake by 12 pm or 4 pm I go in and wake to preserve bedtime. 
  • I read the link and found it very helpful - described our exact situation so I'm implementing it tonight. Put her to bed a bit later then usual. Will continue to do so for the next week and let's see how it works out! 
    Thank you so much for giving me that perspective because when you are sleep derived you forget to think about the obvious issues going on!