September 2015 Moms

Questions about introducing whole milk.

Remy will be 11 months old in just a few days which means we are just weeks away from introducing cows milk. I've tried to research online (I research everything, it's a thing with me lol) but the only information I've ever found has just talked about how to transition them to it... So a few questions for any second+ time moms or anyone with experience.

First.. Normally he gets his 8oz formula bottle when he gets up for the day/from a nap and then there is a good hour or two before he has a meal.. Would I just replace the formula bottle with a milk bottle? Or is he supposed to get milk with his meals?

also.. We travel quite a bit. How does one go about having whole milk when that's the case? Do you just buy some when you get to where you're going?

How long would a sippy cup of milk actually be if we took it with us to go out for the day?

i know some of these are kind of weird questions but up to this point he's been on powder formula which he's always drank at room temperature so those have never been issues that arise for me.

Re: Questions about introducing whole milk.

• With DD i kind of did cold turkey with her & switched her to cows milk once she didnt have formula. I know sounds mean but she took it right away, the first try.

With the boys right now they get 3 bottles a day now, with 3 meals. They wake up @ 7 & eat between 730 & 830 & i give them 4oz bottle about half an hour after. Lunch 1230 with a cup of water or apple juice. @ 230 a 4oz bottle. 530 dinner with a cup of water or apple juice & 745 pm an 8oz bottle. I plan to keep it that way once they switch to cows milk, giving them milk with meals or when they ask for it. Really up to them, DD got hooked on cows milk big time where i would have to buy 2-3 gallons of milk a week just for her.

We also travel a lot,to Mexico which is 10 hours. With DD i would fill 2 cups of milk for her before we left the house & would buy milk on the way. Just easier that way instead of carrying a damn cooler.

& i think it just depends on the weather. If its super hot then i wouldnt go too long with the same milk. Also depends on how much milk he'll be taking. If u know he'll chug  down that milk right away i dont think it should be something to worry about. 

Once u get there. I swear youll figure it out & find what works.
  • I'm following because I'm curious. I can still only give LO stage 2 or stage 3 in a tiny blinder, because he gags and instantly vomits if anything remotely solid hits his mouth. I'm worried. He's almost 11 months and there is NO WAY I will be able to take formula away at this rate...he doesn't eat real food yet because of the gag and vomit. I need to talk to his doctor about it at his 12 month check up. I can't really make a plan yet because of this. I figure we might be on formula a little longer just to make sure he's getting the nutrients he needs. 
  • Loading the player...
  • With both of mine I introduced a little bit of whole milk in sippy cups before they turned a year old. With DD#1, I gave her some with her evening snack. DD#2 gets some near bedtime (but not too close to her bottle) and often some with breakfast. In terms of storing the milk, if you have a cooler or an insulated bag or carrier, I'd use that. Not sure how long is safe, though. I don't travel with milk.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Anybody that did ebf have any tips? She takes a sippy fine but she doesn't get bottles, just nurses on demand, should I just start giving it to her a little at a time when she turns 1? I'm planning on weaning then anyways...  Don't want to hijack just wondering about this
  • @mrsmctaggart6 I dont EBF but yeah i think you should just do exactly what you said. Give it to her in her sippy cup little by little. I personally woudnt try giving her a bottle @ this point because that will just be something else you would have to wean her off of. Just give it to her in her cup the way u would water or ehatever you guve in her sippy cup. 
  • My first was on formula and we started with giving him some milk mixed with the bottle when he was almost a year. However, we basically decided to go right to cow's milk instead of increasing it in the bottles. He took right to it and we didn't have any issues. When we went out I just brought a sippy cup and bought the milk when we got places. He took really well to a sippy cup so we didn't have any issues. With my LO now she is EBF and doesn't have any interest in the sippy cup. I'm going to be trying to add whole milk to her breast milk once she's around 11 months and see how she takes to it.
  • Have you tried the straw style? I had to show LO how to use the straw a couple of times but now she's a pro and she can even use real straws in adult cups (she likes to steal daddy's water, it's more fun, lol)
  • How did you teach her to use a straw @mrsmctaggart6? My son hates the sippy cup and cries when he sees it. I've tried everything I can think of, but he hates it. We have the kind with a straw and the kind you just tilt back.
  • I would suck some into the straw and put my finger over the end so it wouldn't come out then let her drink out of the end, she caught on pretty quick, I had her trained by the end of the first day, that being said the other little girl I baby sit has a less challenging cup and she will go after that given half a chance because it is easier so I spend half of my day playing sippee cup referee. I also let her drink out of a normal straw in a big kid glass and she loves it cuz she feels like she's getting away with something, lmao
  • @Bellarose212  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X8BREJS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 we use this one because for the longest time my son refused to tilt his head back 
  • We have this one
  • I'm not a second time mom but we have started LO on soy milk at 10 1/2 months, with the Dr's approval. She quit drinking her formula, and would just dump it everywhere... We just replaced her 2 bottles a day with the milk, usually around 6 oz each. I do warm it up slightly since it's really cold after being in the fridge. The rest of the day she drinks water. When we go out I just bring her cup of water, I'm usually not out long enough for her to need milk. But for the days we are I have a lunch pail I put them in with a cold pack and her meals/snacks. They also make insulated bottle pods that you could use and would probably fit in your diaper bag easily.
  • @mrsmctaggart6 I have the same straw cups, just in pink and purple. LOVE them!

@Bellarose212 I didn't "teach" my LO to use a straw, but whenever we went out I would get her a small glass of water and put my finger over the top of the straw and give her water that way. Then one day we went to eat with my grandmother and I was holding LO and my drink and she just bent down and took a drink with the straw! It was an awesome surprise! I think by watching and me giving her water with a straw she caught on to how it was used. She couldn't get the tilting back when using regular sippy cups so being able to use the straw ones is super nice. Maybe you could try it that way and see if it works? I think straws are easier than sippy cups because they already suck to drink using bottles/breasts.
  • I tried to introduce cow's milk this week. Let's just say Piper is less than impressed. She drank about half an oz of cold milk when I gave it to her in her sippy at lunch (instead of her usual 2-4 oz of juice). We tried it warmed in her bottle tonight, and she completely refused. I guess I'm going to keep trying at least once a day, cold, since she seemed to prefer it that way.
  • When I introduce milk I will probably mix it with his formula to start. I did that when I had to switch formula and he refused the new stuff. I did a quarter of new 3/4 old then went to half and half then 3/4 new and 1/4 old. Took a week for the full change but it worked well. I don't think he will do well cold turkey. 
    As for sippy cups. The little man is finally starting to get it! 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • So I just got LO a munchkin straw sippee cup and it's so hard to get anything out I'm barely able to- like the amount of suction is requires isn't human! So does the tommee tippee ones require a bunch of suctioned does anyone have any recommendations for straw type cups? I really want to transition to those when we get rid of formula.

@PinkPrincessPiper I would try mixing formula and whole milk. I just did it for the first time yesterday and LO took to it a lot better than when I tried just milk. He usually takes 8oz formula bottles so I mixed 4oz of formula then mixed that with 4oz of milk.
  • It requires a bit more suction than a normal straw but I don't thinks it's a crazy amount... I don't have any other sippy cups to compare it to though... 
  • I started whole cows milk with my breastfed baby at 9 months (as per the Canadian pediatric society guidelines); offering it in a straw sippy cup with meals. He's gradually increased his consumption over the last 2 months, but still nurses 4 times per day. We're also transitioning him to daycare, and he's happy to have cow's milk there. Because we only rarely used a bottle, he seems to have developed the strength to overcome the spill proof valve on our straw cup (munchkin). Before we introduced cows milk, we used the cheap take and toss straw cups for water. He caught on right away.
  • so we EBF and we just hit the year mark and doc told me since I am going to continue BF for now to just introduce cows milk at meals (3 x a day) nursing/breastmilk the rest of the time. My LO started with a sippycup a while ago we use the munchkin weighted straw cup. He started with water in it and then he started to refuse bottles at daycare so we tried putting the breastmilk in it cold (similar to the temp of water) and he took it! Ever since he now takes milk in sippy cups at daycare (bottle every once in a while when he sees the baby there take his - jealous :)).  We haven't started the milk yet... not sure why I am so nervous...maybe just because its another "getting older" step? otherwise besides the meals (3x a day) with cows milk (used to give water) we will still be nursing/breastmilk. (well that is when mommy gives in and finally gets it :( )
  • @shelbydd

We have the Munchkin straw cups too and I hate them, but I haven't found better ones. I did notice that if you really jam the straw into the valve then it becomes much easier to suck on and still seems to be relatively spill proof. We also have the spoutless sippys, which I prefer, but LO can't tip the cup up far enough yet to drink from it on her own and she refuses to take milk or formula from those at all right now. So I use a soft spout sippy for her milk, although I did put some holes in the spout because they are hard to suck on too. 
  • We use a Camelbak Eddy. We've tried about 7 different variations of sippy cups and just can't make them work. Now he just uses them as toys (he loves rattling them to see/hear the water, but good luck getting him to drink out of them). We've also started giving a small glass of water at mealtime too. Most of it just ends up running down his front - figuring out how to tip it back just enough to get a little water without letting it come out too fast is super hard - and he's starting to figure it out. I think we'll end up just skipping the sippy cup stage.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • We've actually started just getting her bendy straws and a normal cup, she loves it!