November 2016 Moms

Mom needs?

hey ladies! 
In my frantic list making of everything I need for baby I realized that there are some things mama needs too! 
Couple quesrions! 

1. Best place to buy nursing bras?! And how many do I need? 

2. BTDT and extra prepared moms, what else should we be adding to this list of things WE need before baby comes? 

Re: Mom needs?

• I've only bought one nursing bra in my life so I feel I cant answer this question... 

For me, postpartum I found it very helpful to have thin maxi pads at home. I used the big diaper kind at the hospital but was relieved to get home to the barely there ones. Also I bought some cheap granny panties. These were helpful after my c-section to ensure there was no rubbing on my incision but also because I didn't want to ruin my nicer underwear with bleeding. Other than that, have plenty of comfy clothes clean, snacks available and entertainment ready (Netflix, DVR, etc.). 
  • i found nursing tanks to be much more useful, especially in the beginning.  I love the gilligan and malley (or is it o'malley?) ones from target, just dont get the henley kind - the buttons come undone constantly.  I have 5 and used them a ton! Also second granny panties.  I picked up a pack of fruit of the loom ones while I was grabbing nursing tanks lol.  A cardigan/ bathrobe/ zip up is awesome for the hospital.

If you're breastfeeding youll want a lot of snacks and water bottles around.  You wont realize how hungry/thirsty you are until you're sitting down.  Seriously happened every time.  So keeping the snacks and water in your usual nursing spot was awesome.  You'll also need nursing pads.  For the first couple weeks I would say definitely get the disposable ones. I had the jumbo pads and they were fine for me until I switched to panty liners when I felt it would work - the size of the pad reallllly depends on how much you bleed and I've heard it's very different for everyone.  
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Loading the player...
  • I love the Bravado Designs silk seamless nursing bra. My hospital sells them but you can get them on Amazon too. They come in lots of different colors and are extremely comfortable.
    Bravado Designs Women's Body Silk Seamless Nursing Bra-Cherry Red - Medium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014HXHFM6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_3Qb0xbVWHKB90

it was also nice to have some witch hazel soothing pads around for after delivery, some people make those "padsicles" you can find details on Pinterest, but I felt like that was a bit much. Also a peri bottle to help you clean/sooth after going to the bathroom is great. Your hospital might give you one but if they don't you can buy them on Amazon too.  
  • I agree with @rspalding001 about the tucks/witch hazel pads.  I've always been given peri bottles at the hospital.  And then something soft and comfortable to wear afterwards.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Oh yes, the peri bottle that you get from the hospital. Even for those of us c-section girls, it's nice to use to ease the pain after catheter. 
  • There was a post-partum thread on the October board that had lots of helpful, and frightening, tips on what you might need/want
  • I mean. I don't know about anyone else but with the amount of bleeding I had in the 48 hours following delivery I just stayed in the hospital gown and their mesh underwear.. I wasn't about to get blood all over my own shorts. There were definitely gushes after sitting for even just 20-30 minutes. Those ice pack inserts for your bottom area were godsends.
  • I lived in the Gap maternity camis for the first few weeks (they were the only ones that offered any support for my big girls) and then went to Nordstrom and was fitted. I went from a G to an I and they were able to fit me in a great bra from Anita. I then bought a few more from cheaper sites. My advice is to be fitted once BF is established and get a real nursing bra that fits or have a nice bra converted. 

I think setting your home up so you are comfortable and cozy being "trapped" there for a week or so straight is important. Deep clean your main living spaces so you can feel like you can freely do nothing but focus on baby and give yourself Lots of comfort items (new jammies, slippers, favorite easy foods) make adjusting easier. 

The one product I loved and feel like was a "must have" was Earth Mama Angel Baby Mama Bottom Balm. I got some a few days PP at Whole Foods (FYI I felt like I could get out and about after about 5 days!) and it helped my recovery so much! I very highly recommend that!

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Definitely stock up on the postpartum feminine care stuff you'll need. You won't want to send your husband out after you get home. With my
    last baby I put everything I needed in a bin wth a cover and kept it in the bathroom closet and had it stocked and ready for every time I had to use the bathroom after coming home. Also, buy more than you think you will need.. It's amazing how fast you will go through it. I will be buying:
    -depends (used for the first week with pads when bleeding was the most heavy)
    -huge pads (extra long and ones with wings for sleeping in)
    -Epsom salt (used for sitz baths and helped with healing)
    -tucks pads
    -flushable wipes (you will use the peri bottle to spray instead of wipe at first but I felt like using wipes to dab made me feel more clean)
    -numbing spray (the hospital sent me home with this)

I also made sure I had cookies or some kind of snacks in my closets to offer people who came to visit when I had the baby. This is not necessary and a new mom shouldn't be expected to host/ have food but I had so much family come by that I liked to have cookies on hand to pull out when someone stopped over. I think anyone visiting should be nice enough to bring food though ;)
  • This is so helpful! 
  • Wait, for how long did you guys not use tp? I'd feel super weird about not wiping after a BM, flushable moist wipes it will be then 
  • Wait, for how long did you guys not use tp? I'd feel super weird about not wiping after a BM, flushable moist wipes it will be then 
    At least a week or two. I was terrified to wipe. I used a peri bottle and dabbed with flushable wipes for a BM. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I still used TP...very very gently after a lot of washing with the peri bottle.
  • Nursing: I have 3 nursing bras and 2 are cheapies from Walmart. I much prefer nursing tanks and live in those. But...I have small boobs so support isn't an issue. Also lots of nursing pads. I prefer the washable cotton kind, but lots of people prefer the disposable ones. Lanolin is my favorite nipple balm. And this time I'm going to try to find "milk savers" to catch the milk that comes from the opposite boob before your supply regulates.

Other clothes: I liked having a robe to provide some coverage when I was basically in pajamas all day at first. After a bit, I gradually made my way backwards through my maternity wardrobe (minus the dressy work clothes) until I was back in my regular casual clothes.

Besides the stuff the hospital gave me, I liked having pads of different sizes at home. I never used the tucks pads I bought, nor anything other than ibuprofen.

I agree about FOOD and WATER while breastfeeding. There's no hunger like nursing hunger, and if I didn't have water and a snack, I would get soooo grumpy feeling like baby was sucking all the moisture and nutrients out of my body. One handed, easy to eat snacks are ideal -- granola bars, baked goods, fruit, cheese and crackers. And I like giant straw cups.
  • I am FTM so I do not have any idea. But these are the things that my friends suggested for breast feeding :smile:
    Lansinoh Disposable Nursing Pads
    Lansinoh Soothies Gel Pads for Breastfeeding Mothers
    Philips AVENT Thermal Gel Pads
    Philips AVENT BPA Free Nipple Protector
    Philips Avent Comfort Breast Shell Set

I am still trying to understand what all these different items are and why I need them :)
  • I think everyone covered it! I second the depends though even when you get home. Keeps everything where it needs to be and are pretty comfortable. I agree it was nice to switch to a little bit of a smaller pad once I got home and again why I wore depends for a bit because it was okay if a little blood got on them. I really liked the witch hazel pads and the numbing spray. I did end up buying 1 can of the numbing spray because I ended up running out of what the hospital sent me home with. I had a very minor tear, but used both religiously for close to two weeks. My mom bought me a sitz bath and if you have 10 minutes to spare I'd highly recommend getting one. I didn't make the padcicles for home, but I may this time because they are delightful.

Totally agree with snacks and water allllll the time. I agree with nursing tanks over bras at least at home. 

I did not use TP or disposable wipes I was way too scared. I filled up two warm peri bottles each time to make sure I cleaned myself well enough. I think the colace might have something to do with clean poops that don't leave anything behind?! 
  • @ZoeFer   In regards to the nipple protector (aka shields) in my experience you wouldn't need those unless you had a problem breastfeed normally. I wouldn't recommend them for just cracked sore nipples mainly because it might not be as simple as you think teaching baby how to nurse using a shield and then transitioning back to no shield later. The only moms who I knew who used shields either had issues with the baby's latch or inverted nipples and the shield allowed them to continue breastfeeding when otherwise they might have needed to switch to or subtitle with formula.
  • I agree, use the shields only under the guidance of a LC. Rubbing some milk and letting it dry on your nipples helps a lot, it also helps prevent nipples from getting cracked. So much of breastfeeding pain is related to baby's latch and I think all moms and babies should be evaluated and monitored while they are establishing their bf relationship

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • re: shields - I agree that they should only be used under the guidance of a LC. Can often do more harm than good. With that said, I wish I had known the first time around that a shied and a shell are 2 different things. I already bought shells this time around - basically they allow your nipple to not be adhered to your shirt/bra when slathered with lanolin and promote air flow & healing. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited September 2016
    I agree a 100% with everyone on the depends, pad, spray ext the one thing I would add is be careful about lounging around in pjs and not getting ready (after the first couple weeks of course) due to ppd (postpartum depression) I had it with my last DD and I found that getting ready i.e. Dressed, hairbrushed and a little makeup really helped me. 

ETA: spelling 
  • ZoeFerZoeFer member
    edited September 2016
    rspalding001 @MrsBigTime @atcwagThanks a lot for your advice ! 
    I still have no idea how all these products work, and how to solve breastfeeding issues. I definitely need to read more.
  • ZoeFer said:
    rspalding001 @MrsBigTime @atcwagThanks a lot for your advice ! 
    I still have no idea how all these products work, and how to solve breastfeeding issues. I definitely need to read more.
    I don't say this to brag at all (truly!) but it is possible for breastfed to not hurt at all! Really! We never had any pain and DD1 loved nursing from the start. We had some issues with a forceful letdown when my milk came in, but no pain to speak of. There are a lot of complications that can come up, but sometimes there are none! So, don't lose hope that it may very well come easy!

Your LC and kellymom.com are fantastic resources too 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with @MrsBigTime breastfeeding didn't hurt fro me at all either. Your hospital hopefully has lactation consultants on hand you can ask questions to as well. And mine also had a breastfeeding support group once a week for new moms as well. look and see what your community offers :- )
  • Thanks a lot for encouragement ladies, I have heard many horror stories so trying to be prepared for anything :) My hospital is very pro-skin to skin and breastfeeding from the start, they have Lactation consultants, BF classes and support groups.
  • mrsmoose5mrsmoose5 member
    edited September 2016
    @ZoeFer Even if you do have some issues with breastfeeding in the beginning, don't get discouraged. DS would not latch on for 3 days and we had to supplement him with donor milk from a bottle until then; I was devastated. We saw several different lactation consultants during our stay at the hospital and none of them could get him to latch. Once he finally did, it was still a struggle for about a week. And even after he got the hang of it, I experienced about 2 weeks of pain, cracked/bleeding nipples, etc. I would wince and tear up every time he latched on. I also had issues with forceful letdown. Anyway, despite these issues, after the first 2-3 weeks we both adjusted and got the hang of it and it was a breeze after that. I breastfed him until he was 15 months and am so glad I did :) Like others have said, kellymom is a great resource.
  • Breast pads to go inside your nursing bra... you will leak. A lot. 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • Breast pads to go inside your nursing bra... you will leak. A lot. 
    Many, yes. All, no. I never leaked and I nursed my son until 2.5. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I never leaked either, but I did use the breast pads a ton in the beginning because I was slathering on the lanolin and didn't want it on my clothes. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I never leaked either, but I did use the breast pads a ton in the beginning because I was slathering on the lanolin and didn't want it on my clothes. 
    Yep...I have way too many lanolin-stained shirts. This time, I plan on using breast shells to avoid the "stuck to my shirt" effect and allow some
    air flow. 
    Pregnancy Ticker