January 2017 Moms
Options

Crap you said you'd never do as a parent BEFORE you had kids...

As a STM, I really get sick of all the parenting advice from non parents. I thought it would be fun to share some things you said you would never do with your kids and ended up doing anyway! 

Some of mine are that my kid would always eat what we ate (HAHAHA!) they would never eat in front of a TV, always eat at the table  (you are seeing the trend here, right?) I also super judged sahm house cleanliness and said "if her house isn't clean, what does she do all day?" Insert big fat foot in my mouth. Now that my other friends are starting to catch uo, I secretly can't wait to watch their feet enter their mouths after all the comments I've gotten. I am feeling a little salty today if you can't tell! Lol!
imageBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Crap you said you'd never do as a parent BEFORE you had kids...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    BrialaBriala member
    edited September 2016
    I said I would never let my kids stay up late  :D but that we broke pretty quickly

Also letting a toddler destroy things I though I would have a mini angel child.... As if I have a destructive little man and I have learned not to sweat the small stuff. And he manages to circumvent every baby proofing device we have come up with

lastly, judging moms with more than one baby carrier or using one of those "stupidly long wrap things", and why on earth would someone oay $300+ on a babywrap it's just fabric! However, I quickly fell down the carrier rabbit hole and could not see raising a baby without a multitude of carrying options. And of the stupid long wraps I now have close to 20 a few of which were pricy and I refuse to add (don't tell my husband he hasn't counted lately)   :p
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Me: 26 DH: 29 Married 8/4/2012
    BFP #1 8/20/2013 | EDD 5/4/2014 | MMC 10/2/2013 9w3d | D&C 10/8/2013
    BFP #2 2/8/2014 (kinda) EDD 10/29/2014
     | DS Born 10/8/2014 
    TTCAL 11/2015 BFP #3 5/12/16 | EDD Jan 2017
  • Options
    Hahaha! Love this thread! I said I would never eat dinner with the TV on, my kid would be in bed by 8:30 every night, wouldn't be allowed to use iPads, phones, video games and I would never get up from a meal at a restaurant because of a temper tantrum. Cue to today-our son LOVES to eat on the couch (5 out of 7 nights were at the table), he's usually in bed time routine by 8:30 hard getting back into school mode after our lazy summer, he has his own iPad (no, we didn't buy it for him to use specifically it is our old one that is perfect for ABC Mouse and other preschool apps) as well as "playing" video games with Daddy (he has a broken controller) and on two occasions that I fondly remember we've asked for our meals to go because he was in a rage. To his credit, both of those times he ended up coming down with a cold by the next morning so it was explained. 

I admit, I used to be one of those people who always gave my advice because I babysat kids and I was an awesome nanny and that's practically like being a Mom, right? Yea, nothing and I mean nothing makes you bite your own tongue more than having your OWN kid! I too apologize to all Moms that I gave "advice" to and understand completely why they took it with a grain of salt. Lol I will say we don't let our kid run us and I have zero problem disciplining in public. I still hate those parents that let their kid scream in the grocery store for no reason or let them run around like wild abandon. My son tries, believe me, but he knows Mommy doesn't care whose around when he acts up. Lol 
  • Options
    I'd never be a short order cook, my daughter will eat what I eat. 

I'll never insult her creativity by giving her light up or sound-making toys. 

I'll never use the tv as a babysitter. 

• Options
    Haha, oh man, this thread.  :)

I said I would limit screen time and never use TV as a babysitter.  Now I'm like 'who wants to watch Paw Patrol?' just to get 24 minutes to myself.

I said he would only eat healthy, non-processed food.  Now we buy Kraft mac-n-cheese in bulk at Costco. 

I said I would only buy non-plasticky, no-batteries-required, educational toys.  That went out the window by his first birthday.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Mostly screen time. I was very anti screen time, but that went out the window pretty fast when I realized I couldn't have any screen time either and was home by myself all day with no connection to the outside world.  Now DD has her own tablet for traveling and we give it to her at restaurants (which pre-mom me would be appalled by).  Plus she gets 15-30min of elmo before bed because reading gets her excited and does not help get her to sleep.  Sometimes you are just surviving and doing what works.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yep, I'll just repeat what others have said. 

No eating in front of the TV. She now eats her breakfast while watching Dora every morning. At least 2 dinners per week are eaten in front of the tv as well.

TV as a babysitter. I'm sorry, but there is no better babysitter than Bubble Guppies and Team Umi Zoomie when you need peace and quiet to get shit done. Plus, they're educational, right?

Bribing. It's a must. Bribing DD with candy is what got her potty trained. I also use it to get her to eat her veggies. Sorry, not sorry.

I also judged parents whose kids threw tantrums in public places. But PP is right, toddlers throw tantrums and there's nothing you can do about it. It's all about how you react. 

I could go on but the moral of the story is, do what you gotta do to survive. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was adamant about no screen time, and I'm pretty good about it, but yes, she does watch Daniel Tiger and Princess Sofia. I do my best to limit it, but some days, it's all you can do.

I said my kids would eat what was for dinner. Yeah. DD is 20 pounds at 2, and has always been in the first percentile, so if she'll eat it, I'll make it at this point. I regularly feed her pizza and mac and cheese. Don't care!

I am adamant about eating at the table, but I always said no TV during dinner. Well sometimes that's the only way she'll actually eat, so TV it is!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @tinabelcher that was one of mine too! We use our sparingly for fairs, festivals etc. but its nice to have when your toddler pulls dead weight every time you try to hold his hand.  I figured I would get less judgement than I would dragging him around while he screamed.  I was pregnant then as well so carrying long distances wasn't going to happen. 
  • Options
    @emy730 yes to the eating!  TV is the only qay some days and I'm just like whatever I gotta do!

@TinaBelcher heck yes to the backpacks. Mine has been a life saver because I have a runner and she is FAST. I always make sure that hold her hand while it is on so that she isn't just being walked on it lol, but that added peace of mind is worth all the judgy looks in the world!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have a Nanny friend that gives me advice all the time and it makes me ragey! I secretly can't wait until she has kids and realizes what it is like to not be off the clock ever. You get to go home at 5, and not have to stay up all night!!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    All of these plus I would like to add that I always said I would have my kids say "yes ma'am, no ma'am". Fast forward 7 years later, this past weekend I taught my 14 month old to say boob and I was pretty excited about it! 
  • Options
    I'm a FTM and I've said everything mentioned before.  I accept defeat and know that I will end up doing these things at one point or throughout my parenting days. 

I will add: I refuse to be a human pacifier. Breast feed until their 2 or 3? Sure, whatever, I don't really care. But using the excuse that your baby fell asleep as they were nursing and the just look so cute so now you can't do XYZ is SO ANNOYING!!! I'm alluding to an actual event that took place. One Thanksgiving we were invited to a friend's house and she used that excuse when her 1 year old fell asleep still latched to her boob. The XYZ she couldn't do? Prepare Thanksgiving dinner... :| . She ended up making her 13 year old daughter prepare the majority of the meal while I helped in the kitchen. My thoughts the entire time "da'fuq am I doing in the kitchen and in heels? I could be at a restaurant NOT sweating over the stove, cooking for 10+ people." And for the record: If she didn't feel like hosting, why did she invite us? My head still spins when I think of that. And that isn't the only time she used that excuse, it was just a time that pissed me the f**k off. 

Also, I second the ALWAYS late. Okay, it takes you 2 hours to get kids ready and out the door? Start getting ready two hours + travel time early. Don't feel like doing that? Don't say that you're coming. Honestly, I've held events and told someone with kids (who is always late) that the event started 2 hours earlier than it actually did, and she was still an hour late. This same person has showed up to parties at 8:30pm with her children/toddlers in tow because they didn't make it to the party earlier in the day when all the other kids were there (pool party, people with kids left, adults remain and people are drinking but it's not raucus just more adult orientated). She ended up putting a couple kids to sleep upstairs so she could enjoy festivities with the adults.

Is it just me, folks? Am I the oblivious FTM?! Will this be me one day!? Tell me the truth! Because if so, just use the foot in my mouth to strangle me, please! 

**My hormones have been raging today** 

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Another one that's not really the same thing, but is along the lines of things turning out differently than I'd thought: we always thought DH would be the "good cop" and I'd be the "bad cop" because he's super nonconfrontational and I tend to be more "take charge of things". Nope.  I think it's partially because I'm home with DD all day so I kind of pick my battles and give in more so I won't be fighting her very stubborn will all day.  I think that's probably why she tends to listen to DH better haha!
  • Options
    @texasgal24 I don't think you're oblivious as you're willing to admit that your stance is gonna change on a lot of things. I know I've given in on things out of survival but I've also said "this is the hill I'm willing to die on" (human pacifier ain't happening over here for example) 
    I think the things that you find super important hold out a lot longer. I'm another who refuses to use kids as an excuse to be late for obligations but I'll also toss my kid in my bed with cartoons to take a damn shower. 
  • Options
    I know for me in the beginning, before the baby is old enough to be on a true schedule, I'd be late to things because I refuse to wake a sleeping baby, and sometimes that baby will sleep for 30 minutes; sometimes two hours, and you truly never know.

Once they are old enough to be on an established routine/schedule, you can plan things accordinglh, and at that point, yeah, being late is all on you.  I mean, yeah, shit happens -- literally, shit can happen, all over the place, but that's not two hours of delay in and of itself.  Maybe things will get more chaotic with more kids.  Yeah, they probably will.  But I can honestly say my kid rarely if ever makes me late to anything. 
  • Options
    @karaelaine1991 that us 100% my husband and I. He is the more chill one personality wise, but is SO much stricter than me. Like you said, I stay at home, so I pick and choose battles he will fight to the death and I'm all like "why bother? Just let her go." Lol
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Teach123Teach123 member
    edited September 2016
    I said almost all of these. Then the kid gets here, and you do what you need to to survive and hope you don't screw them up too much. 
  • Options
    There are very few things I said I wouldn't do that I have done, but the main one was I said I wouldn't breastfeed past a year. By the time DD was a year old there was no way either of us were ready to stop. You learn to adapt!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Options
    @christac1010 right there with you, it's pretty consuming!
    i am also a ftm... I always said I'd eat the healthiest if my life during pregnancy- organic, no Mercury, hit all the food groups. I definitely overestimated my willpower and underestimated cravings and aversions. I will eat ANYTHING that sounds good to make it through meal time (except those truly off-limit risks)
    eating more fast food and junk food than I've eaten since maybe ever (at least as an adult)
    also said I'd still go out when pregnant- hang with friends at bars, play wing-woman, socialize & stay out late. NOPE.
  • Options
    Lol I love reading these! I don't remember much before kids, I was young, so didn't have a ton of 'I'll never do that' moments prior to having kids! 

I will say the late thing...ugh. I have a friend who is ALWAYS late, and yes, she has 6 kids, however it's the stuff that she lives 1hr away and will decide at 45min till she needs to be somewhere (so already 15min late) oh hey, lets STRAIGHTEN MY HAIR which is an 1hr process....W.T.H.! The worst part is, she doesn't call and say oh hey, running late. Ever. She will call 20-30min after she was supposed to be there and say on my way! SO frustrating! 

I have 4 boys, and inevitably we are late sometimes, one has to poop, one can't find his shoes, one peed on his underwear while going potty, one dropped something on his foot and is screaming...it happens. If someone is expecting us, we CALL and let them know we're running late. I just don't get the lack of notification! 
    BabyGaga
    DS1 - 03/31/2006
    DS2 - 12/31/2008
    DS3 - 06/26/2012
    DS4 - 08/07/2014