June 2016 Moms

Camping with a LO

Morning ladies! This weekend we are leaving the city behind and venturing into the great outdoors. I guess technically it won't be camping since we are staying at a cottage (super rustic tho). This will be the first time we take Damien out of town and his first visit with mother nature. Anyone have experience taking a baby camping and have some tips/ideas? 

We bought a big screened tent thingie so that we can be outside with him but in shade and protected from bugs but any other suggestions would be great!

Re: Camping with a LO

• Morning ladies! This weekend we are leaving the city behind and venturing into the great outdoors. I guess technically it won't be camping since we are staying at a cottage (super rustic tho). This will be the first time we take Damien out of town and his first visit with mother nature. Anyone have experience taking a baby camping and have some tips/ideas? 

We bought a big screened tent thingie so that we can be outside with him but in shade and protected from bugs but any other suggestions would be great!
    Let us know how it goes! We took our LO up to the mountains at a lake and she loved the mountain air! She slept really well. We found some organic mosquito repellent but I was still afraid to put it on her. We just used the netting around her stroller. We only stayed a few days bc i was nervous but once we were there I wished we had booked it for longer..
  • My best friend did last year with her 2 month old. Baby carrier, sun hat and a fan were her must haves.  They stayed in a tent so it should be easier for you.  She literally wore him everywhere during the trip and they were there about two weeks.  It's easier, I think, to do trips like this before they can walk or crawl cause they like to be held.
  • Loading the player...
  • Just want to say you are a brave woman and wish you luck! I don't do well camping as I'm a brat who is afraid of animals... :D
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Just want to say you are a brave woman and wish you luck! I don't do well camping as I'm a brat who is afraid of animals... :D
    My idea of camping is sleeping in a hotel  :D
    My idea of camping is sleeping in a hotel  :D
    Yes, I'm into "glamping" as the real housewives put it :)
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I don't mind roughing it but my max is 2 weeks. This is a step up simce we have the cottage, even if electricity is non-existent, we still have a legit bed! I'd love to do "glamping" at some point. We were going to do that for our Africa trip but that trip was cancelled because someone got pregnant sooner than anticipated. 
  • I'd suggest a heavy duty picnic blanket so you can still do tummy time and have a place to lay baby and change diapers. Also be prepared to nurse more if it is hot and dry.

We're glamping right now! We're living in our rv while we move cross country over the next 3 weeks.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • meggyme said:
    I'd suggest a heavy duty picnic blanket so you can still do tummy time and have a place to lay baby and change diapers. Also be prepared to nurse more if it is hot and dry.

We're glamping right now! We're living in our rv while we move cross country over the next 3 weeks.

You can tell I'm an amateur bc i'm trying to figure out how you can fit a swing, bouncy seat, bassinet, and activity mat in an rv ; )
  • Lizbeth86 said:
    meggyme said:
    I'd suggest a heavy duty picnic blanket so you can still do tummy time and have a place to lay baby and change diapers. Also be prepared to nurse more if it is hot and dry.

You can tell I'm an amateur bc i'm trying to figure out how you can fit a swing, bouncy seat, bassinet, and activity mat in an rv ; )
    We had to sit outside the other day while the movers were working in the house, and Jackie loved just looking at the lights coming through the leaves of the trees and how they moved with the wind. You might be surprised how little entertainment you need to provide. Maybe a place up off the floor to sit them if it's buggy.
  • Well we survived the weekend with Damien. The first night he slept just fine but other than that, naps weren't great and nighttime wasn't good either. He seemed to enjoy experiencing nature for the first time. Despite not sleeping well, he was pretty content. 

The cabin was actually amazing, so I have absolutely no complaints about it or the site as a whole. We weren't quite sure what it would be like but now I can definitely say it was pretty much glamping. We loved our site so much that we plan to go back at some point next year. 

I can't say I really enjoyed our time there though. The lack of electricity and running water made taking care of a two month old more challenging. I felt like I couldn't have a moment to relax and really soak in the beautiful surroundings. My husband was wonderful the entire time. Washing the bottles, cooking meals, cleaning up, building and maintaining the campfire and wood-burning stove inside, etc. I definitely couldn't have done it without him. 

So it seems that Damien is now too big for the Ergo infant insert but still too small to use the carrier without it, plus I forgot my k'tan. I ended up just holding him 99% of the time, even on our mini-hike to check out a nearby beaver dam. 

The weather was fantastic, not hot at all and the sun was always shining. There was a huge umbrella at the picnic table so Damien could be outside and in the shade without issue. We didn't even need to put up the screened tent thingie.

The upstairs:

The bed was amazing, so comfortable! Anyway, just wanted to share my update.
  • Sounds like fun! A tip for the ergo: try a rolled up blanket under his butt to give him a little lift. I've been doing this instead of using the infant insert and it's worked wonderfully, and should be a little more adjustable.