December 2016 Moms
Options

[OLD THREAD] Why My Family is Driving Me Crazy 8.30

dmontgodmontgo member
edited September 2016 in December 2016 Moms
Is it almost September, but your family is still driving you nuts, or are you on a healing journey? Join us!

How did your self-care go last week? 

Bonus: Tell us 3 things you like about yourself--yes, brag! Don't attach negative qualifiers to the statement: "I like my smile even though I think I'm ugly," etc. Be positive and loving towards yourself!

Re: [OLD THREAD] Why My Family is Driving Me Crazy 8.30

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Great idea! Thanks for starting this thread.

1. I do a great job of making the kids that I work with feel valued and like they have an ally at school.

2. I try my best to be a kind person first, even if I am feeling snarky to someone. Kill them with kindness!

3. I am a fabulous Mom to my DS. 

• Options
    @dmontgo
    That definitely makes you a great wife, friend, and citizen! And red hair? Jealous! I secretly think red headed people are superheros. My grandma had red hair, and I am still holding out hope that one of my boys will surprise us with ginger locks.

@acreight13
    It takes a special person to be good to their own children (because lets face it, some parents out there are crappy), let alone other peoples too. That is awesome, great job!
  • Options
    I have nothing to complain about in regards to my family. They're so supportive and I am incredibly blessed to have them.

1)  I am strong and can overcome any obstacle I face.

2) I am confident in my ability to be a mother.

3) I am human and appreciate my ability to turn my failures into opportunities to learn and grow.

Pregnancy Ticker 

• Options
    @Amecsey Jealous of your legs for days!! Good luck dealing with all of that, and sorry it's so stressful. Maybe it will help to think of the delicious food you'll have at the shower? Cake? Cupcakes? Chips? Fruit salad? 

• Options
    You ladies are awesome! Love reading all of these fabulous responses!

@Amecsey That does sound frustrating, and the organized, planning side of me is cringing. >.< It does sound like she's coming from a place of love--some people cannot plan parties or vacations or events in general for the life of them! Be firm, but take a deep breath and know it's going to be ok. I wouldn't be cool with her leaving my children alone, though! Is she the only option right now?
  • Options
    @dmontgo red hair is the best! DH is a ginger, and I'm really hoping one of our girls gets his red hair. 

Reading this makes me realize how much I've sucked at self care recently. I can't even think of three things I like about myself right now. Ugh. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @dmontgo thank you, as always, for posting this. :)

DH and I have decided to remove FIL from our lives, at least temporarily. I've posted about FIL here before, but the backstory is that FIL is going through his (third) divorce. At the beginning, he contacted me to try to get legal advice. He was very vulgar, cruel, and horrible about SMIL to me, which really upset me (they're getting divorced because FIL cheated). I referred him to a lawyer and told him I was unable to help him or discuss this issue with him. He tried to get me to keep the whole thing a secret from the rest of the family, including DH, which I was very uncomfortable with. He continued to try to get legal advice from me even after he hired a lawyer.  Not once has he asked how the baby is, how DS is, how I'm feeling, etc. The only reason he contacts DH or me is to try to get legal advice.

DH was upset that his dad was taking advantage of me and not respecting my boundaries. He told his dad to stop discussing this issue with me. That, of course, didn't stop him. So we basically continued to make ourselves scarce with FIL.

A couple times recently he's texted saying he's in the neighborhood and can he come over (which is bizarre - he lives a solid hour away from us, and you have to go through city traffic to get from his home to ours). Each time, I was at work and DH was either at work or otherwise not home. I told him that. Then a couple weeks ago, he texted that he was in the neighborhood and could he come over. I was at work and DH was at the store. I said, "I'm sorry, I'm not home. Try calling DH. Let's make plans soon. Last minute stuff is really hard for us because we're so busy." He got really pissed. The next day he proceeded to blow up my phone and DH's phone while we were both at work, berating us for not being available for him to stop by. He said a bunch of crappy things about DH, told me that I must think I'm the president and that people need appointments to see me, etc., etc. It was really terrible.

After all this, we decided that it's best to block him from our lives for the time being. He is a toxic person who has caused DH a lot of damage over the years (there is a lot more to that story), and he is basically a leach. I'm really relieved to not have to worry about him contacting us (we literally blocked him on our phones). I hate that it had to come to this, but I have a low tolerance for people who are verbally abusive, and DH does too.

Anyway, if you got through this, thanks for listening! 

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• Options
    @cjt121413 Good for both of you!! Your FIL has no right to put stress from his own mistakes on you, and a huge pet peeve of mine is expecting me to drop everything to accommodate someone last minute. My dad does the same thing--he'll be in town and then call and say, "I'm on the way over for XYZ." We don't own anything of his and we don't borrow money, so there's no reason why he *has* to come over. It's simply a control thing. We've gotten into the habit of saying that we are busy and we will let know when a better time is--usually he won't answer, which is fine by me.

I think it's great you came to the decision together, and truly, life is way too short to tolerate people that are abusive and controlling, especially when you have a little baby on the way. High fives and hugs to you!
  • Options
    This is really a petty complaint but DH, DD, and I are all super sick. My mom keeps saying how sick DH is and he needs to go to urgent care since our regular doctor didn't have appointments available today.  Like...I'm just as sick (just don't constantly complain but coughing just as much) and pregnant....but all my mom is worried about is dh. Petty I know. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    MIL has returned back home, and has still managed to upset DH. After a few exchanges of words, she informed us that she will not be returning for this kiddos birth, like she had originally planned. Honestly, I can't say that I'm upset about it. DH nor I need the stress that she brings, while dealing with having a newborn. DH told her this morning, that some distance between them would be best, and so he won't be contacting her until she can get a handle on herself. Her response was that DH is the worst son ever, and she can't understand how he can do this to his own mother. She called me a b!tch, and told DH that he has completely changed since meeting me, and that I need to learn how to be a better mother to DD. So, with all that being said, it's hard for me to find 3 things that I like about myself righr now. I hate that I let her words get to me so much.
  • Options
    @sourlemon I am sorry you are feeling so sick! It's not petty, either, to feel hurt or disappointed. I think it's invalidating when someone you care about doesn't acknowledge an illness or struggle you're experiencing. I hope you feel better soon, and you're always welcome on the thread even if you think your complaints aren't a big deal. <3
  • Options
    @slartybartfast I know exactly what you mean. I am so aware of myself that it's very easy to focus on things I feel I should be better at and that feeling that I'm just not doing enough. It's hard for me to relax on the couch, even if I've been active all day, because I'm afraid I'm being lazy. So that was a big reason I thought of this exercise for today--to bring spotlight to things I know I do well but rarely give myself the credit for it.

But of course, I felt bad because I didn't mention anything pregnancy or motherhood related! Now that I've thought more about it, just because I didn't mention those things doesn't mean I don't care about Ashton or that I'm going to be a bad mother. I'm still a work in progress, but everyday I'm making strides...and so are you!
  • Options

@dmontgo I love this!  So many times when we have issues with family, my self esteem and self worth tank. 

@mamax2 my MIL did this with my second born.  She was supposed to come and help after the baby was born but because we said no to something she wanted she accused me of being a master-minding schemer- which I wasn't being AT ALL.  When the baby was born and we brought him home, it was the most quiet, accepting, loving, serene, non-stressed out environment for me, DH and  DD and DS. 

Sometimes their lack of participation in life's big events are really a blessing in disguise.  I also wouldn't let her get to  you, it only reinforces bad behavior and let's her know that she's getting her way (even inadvertently). I have been in a similar situation and I'm sorry. I know it's hard to go through and it's hard to watch DH deal with the fall out from his mom.

3 things about me:

1. I'm fiercely loyal.

2. I'm a pretty good cook, it's not all necessarily healthy but it's darned good!

3. I'm super friendly and great at making friends.  I can talk paint off a wall!

• Options
    DS got his second bilateral ear infection which MIL is blaming on me because I didn't get him into the doctor soon enough. Ex wanted to use him to play house with his new gf and her kid while he's going through this even though her kid is a total asshole to DS. It's also worth mentioning that he asked to see DS MAYBE once a week before he started dating her 2 weeks ago and now he asks every day and throws a shit fit if I already have plans with DS. More so I took DS to the er last night because his fever spiked to 104 and ex never even bothered to ask if he was okay. Seriously? And then he's asking to come get him to play with her mean ass kid? Uh no. I don't really like his new gf either since she has zero structure or schedule for her kid and refuses to respect the one I've developed for DS. I think it's time to stay away from MILs house since I'm pretty sure they are going to all continue being there all the time and DS doesn't need that nonsense mess.
  • Options
    @MissLeighAndBabyG I am sorry your DS isn't feeling well! I hope he feels better soon, and I can only imagine how frustrated you feel with your ex. Sounds like he wants to act like he's father of the year without doing any of the hard work that you do everyday. Many good vibes your way--none of that sounds easy!
  • Options
    @dmontgo
    She definitely is coming from a place of love, and that is what I try and tell myself to calm down. Unfortunately my mom is having surgery in the next week and that will be followed by a round of chemo. I was going to do two full days of daycare, and my mom and dad would take a day, MIL would take a day, and i have Fridays off. But the thought of MIL having an entire day freaks me out too much, so I am now doing three days of daycare, which leaves my parents with a day, and her as a backup, way better setup, and it's not stressing me out anymore.
  • Options
    @Amecsey Many good vibes your way for your mom! And you gotta do what's comfortable and safe for you and your family, for sure!
  • Options
    aevan011aevan011 member
    edited September 2016
    I am so late to this thread, @dmontgo thanks for posting....like some others, I neglect self-care and being loving towards myself. 

All of you ladies dealing with the difficult parents and toxic people - hugs to you. I cut my mom off a few weeks ago and it's still hard.

As for what's driving me crazy....I've even kinda refrained from reading much on TB this week. My anxiety has been very high this past week or so and since cutting my mom off after she went off on me and physically assaulted siblings... now my sister has told me I've "punished her enough" (this is very obviously straight from mom) and that I'm "acting like a middle schooler" by blocking her on social media and phone. Also my sister relays info about how my mom is still being terrible to her....I try to be supportive to my sister but it's also kind of an invasion of my peace to hear about this stuff. 

My brother is at least understanding of my stance and respects my decisions, but admitted to me this week that he's upset with how I've "handled things" by not responding or returning boxes of things my mother mailed to me. (All items were disposed of). It's not that I didn't expect this, they are still within her grasp. But I did not expect to be so upset or drained by the interactions. Also, a family friend had reached out to me supportively a few weeks ago - said she and my mother had a falling out and discussed at great length how horrible my mom is for all she's done. Now they're "friends" again. How many people do I have to cut out!?

So this week I've fully immersed myself in baby projects and have been lost in my own thoughts. At times this is not constructive. Self-care - I got myself a pedicure. 

My list:
    1. I am a crafty individual. I enjoy making things, especially as gifts. It makes me happy to see people enjoying my projects. It also saves money. Making things for the baby has freed up cash to spend on larger items. 
    2. My ability to be assertive has gotten much stronger during this pregnancy, and I'm proud of myself. It also makes me feel good that I can do things with my child's future in mind, and my choices are not selfish. 
    3. I'm a pretty good cook. 

ETA: Wow...sorry it's so long y'all...
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @aevan011 - this sounds like SUCH a hard time. Hang in there, know you're doing the right thing, and that it will get easier. not that you're asking for advice but as others keep circling around with your mom and she's got them coming to you about it, it may be least draining if you come up with a short, sweet, consistent response so you don't have to feel like you have to keep engaging on it and it will give the firm message that you're not going around in circles. We've had to do this with my parents and siblings on things. It has taken them a while to understand we're not just making points, we've made life decisions here (the real test of their understanding will come this holiday season though). Something like - keeping xyz in my family's life (SO, baby, self) is unhealthy for us. It's our decision to xyz and that needs to be respected"
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    @dmontgo  & @slartybartfast
    Thank you both! It is really good to have the support of people who understand, but are not involved.

I've been responding to my siblings' "mom statements" with less words the past few days. It seems to help, though obviously this is all work in progress. I usually say "This isn't a 'punishment' this is a decision DH & I made to keep us and our family safe from the negativity". 
    After years of dealing with it, though, it's hard not to get really defensive and explain myself thoroughly. I'm trying!!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    First time seeing my mom since I was 6 weeks pregnant and the only thing she has to say to me is "looks like you put on some weight." Then at the shower today she and I are greeting a relative and my mom says to her "looks like she (points to me) found all the weight you lost!" Really?! F-you too, mom, that's just downright mean. I miss home so much, and only get back here once or twice a year, I don't get why she always has to find a way to make me regret coming home. I hope I never make my daughter feel like she makes me feel. 
  • Options
    @KattyC I am so sorry she said those awful things to you. There's just no reason to say such things to anyone, especially your daughter. Many hugs to you...I know how much they hurts. :(
  • Options
    Thank you, @dmontgo, it helps to hear it. Just needed to vent earlier. I try to let it roll off my back but am never able to. We talked about it tonight and she got upset because she didn't intend for it to be hurtful  :| Ahh, family. 
  • Options
    @KattyC It's perfectly ok--that's what this thread is for. :)

My dad will comment on my looks, whether it's I'm fat, or ugly, or have a big nose, etc...and when I finally started standing up to him about it, he would always say that I'm "too sensitive," or obviously I didn't get that it was all a "joke"... he just said those things because he didn't want to take responsibility for hurting my feelings. It's just so hurtful to say ugly things and then try to make it the other persons fault when their feelings gets hurt. It's hard to let those kind of things roll off your back!

Good for you for talking to her about it, even if she didn't take responsibility.
  • Options
    @aevan011 I'm sorry you're going through that! I cut my own mom off in march and my brother had a lot of trouble with accepting it but has since become understanding and distanced himself from her. It sucks but it gets easier the more you realize how much happier you are without the negativity.
  • Options
    @dmontgo I'm just attempting to buckle down for this to get worse when LO is born assuming he accepts her as his little girl. I don't know who he thinks he is, my SO is actually horrified at him as a parent and as a man.