February 2017 Moms

Ask a STM 8/31

Questions or concerns about any and all things baby? 

Lets hear them!

Re: Ask a STM 8/31

• In April, I had a lumbar puncture to help diagnose my headaches.  Now, especially when my back is sore (from pregnancy) that area where they did the puncture becomes really sensitive. 
    With an epidural, I know they are not supposed to insert the needle as far as they do for a puncture....but I'm just wondering...did any mom's have sensitivity long after their epidural? 
    BTW, I also had to get a blood patch because I ended up with a spinal headache after. 

• AfKash said:
    In April, I had a lumbar puncture to help diagnose my headaches.  Now, especially when my back is sore (from pregnancy) that area where they did the puncture becomes really sensitive. 
    With an epidural, I know they are not supposed to insert the needle as far as they do for a puncture....but I'm just wondering...did any mom's have sensitivity long after their epidural? 
    BTW, I also had to get a blood patch because I ended up with a spinal headache after. 
    I know it's not the same for everyone, but I was perfectly fine with all aspects of my epidural. Even the process of them giving it to me was NBD - although I had a friend who had a HORRIBLE experience. I think it also has a lot to do with WHO is inserting the needle. Maybe I didn't realize how painful it was bc I was attempting to go med free and the pain of contractions was so unbelievably outrageous that anything to help at that point didn't matter lol. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @fourPsinapod ya, that's what most purple have said to me that the pain from contractions kept them distracted.  

• Oh and they don't tell you that they "turn it off" either! By the end of labor, I was pretty much feeling everything. Fun times. 
  • Oh and they don't tell you that they "turn it off" either! By the end of labor, I was pretty much feeling everything. Fun times. 
    I was scared of this but they just turned mine down so that I knew when I was having a contraction to push. While I could kinda feel them they weren't painful and I didn't feel any pain when she was born or while being stitched up from my tear. I am definitely hoping for a similar experience this time around. 
  • @fourPsinapod my husband kept saying "yeah she can feel pressure" and I just went along with it, truth is I couldn't feel jack shit! I just didn't want to say anything in fear of them lowering it! I had tried to go med free as well but after maxed on pit and him breaking my waters I was like get that thing in my spine! Lol! The thing I didn't know was that it takes like 20 min for the epi to take effect I was so mad when I got it in me and I was still feeling contractions! I waited way to long to ask for one and then the anesthesiologist was in surgery so I had to wait 1 hour and 45 min before they finally came and gave it to me I was so mad! 
  • I was up and walking an hour after I delivered my son. It basically wore off while I pushed.
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • birdiejobirdiejo member
    edited August 2016
    Mine was placed when I was going from 5 cm to 10 cm in the span of 15 minutes. It took three tries and I can tell you that I did not feel a thing because I was too busy wondering if I was going to die. 

Then it also didn't work.  Going to try to go without this time! 

Edited bc spelling
  • PP is right in that it has a lot to do with who is doing the procedure.  For years the hospital I use had an anesthesiologist that wasn't too good and almost every one of their patients had headaches afterwards.  At some point he was replaced and I didn't have any trouble with the epi for either of my births- no headaches, no soreness at the injection site, etc.

With DD my epi dose was a lot higher than with DS because DS was coming so fast so they knew I wouldn't need it for as long.  It took a few hours for me to be able to walk around after DD and I was walking around an hour after having DS.

• My epidural wore off shortly before pushing. It was bearable so I went with it, I had some tearing and getting the stitches was far worse than giving birth in my opinion but I was still up and walking like an hour later and felt great the following days. 
  • So nobody really had any lingering soreness or sensitivity in that area.  That's great! I guess it's more a symptom of a full puncture which makes sense.  Thank you so much ladies!!

• I might have missed this discussion somewhere, but for those stm+ how did your first LO handle a new baby coming home? I have an almost two year old who I think will love helping with getting baby's diapers and clothes and things, but do you have any advice for making it a somewhat smooth transition? I think he is going to have a hard time sharing mom and dad time with the new baby.   
  • JannieJ said:
    I might have missed this discussion somewhere, but for those stm+ how did your first LO handle a new baby coming home? I have an almost two year old who I think will love helping with getting baby's diapers and clothes and things, but do you have any advice for making it a somewhat smooth transition? I think he is going to have a hard time sharing mom and dad time with the new baby.   
    I'm a STM and I worry about this with my DD. 
  • JannieJ said:
    I might have missed this discussion somewhere, but for those stm+ how did your first LO handle a new baby coming home? I have an almost two year old who I think will love helping with getting baby's diapers and clothes and things, but do you have any advice for making it a somewhat smooth transition? I think he is going to have a hard time sharing mom and dad time with the new baby.   
     Me too.
  • homemake said:
    JannieJ said:
     Me too.
    me three and my kid is all about mom. 
  • homemake said:
    JannieJ said:
     Me too.
    Yup. 
  • AfKash said:
    In April, I had a lumbar puncture to help diagnose my headaches.  Now, especially when my back is sore (from pregnancy) that area where they did the puncture becomes really sensitive. 
    I had an epidural with DD back in 2012. I noticed nothing at the site whatsoever. I had a lumbar puncture to try to diagnose my odd seizure-like yet not seizures condition and that shit hurt for forever. It's a completely different feeling. A lot of times after an episode, I'm very lethargic and don't really notice much pain or discomfort wise, but my back was noticeably sore for weeks. I plan on doing an epidural with this baby and I'm completely unconcerned about the pain during or after :)
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • @Aussie45 Thank you so much! That helps a lot!!

• Question for anyone: I've heard many good things about the Snoogle. But has anyone tried the snoogle mini or the full U-shaped pillow? I have a regular body pillow right now but I still can't get comfortable a lot and I turn from side to side all night. So I'm wondering how the snoogle works if you toss around or if I should go ahead and get the full U-shape?
    Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @becbec28 - I toss and turn a lot at night and think that the snoogle is decent for switching between sides.  The hardest part is getting my legs un-entwined if I start facing the full pillow side.  But, it works well if you do move.  I'd just put the long side on the side you think you'll face most of the night because it offers the best support of your whole body.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • AfKash said:

Stuck in a box!
    I had sensitivity/soreness for a few months after my second labor. They had a bit of trouble getting it in I think. I had a placental abruption with DS2, so I was in excruciating pain at that point. And it didn't entirely take. It took the edge off for like 20 minutes. But then 10 min after that is when I delivered my son. But I had this sensation like my back needed to be popped for several months after that. Even after going to the chiropractor I still had that sensation. It just eventually went away.
  • @becbec28 I have a full U shaped pillow, I'm not sure if it's a snoogle because my SIL gave it to me. It is amazing. My kids love it, they take it down into the family room and put a blanket over it and lay in it.
  • JannieJ said:

DS1 just loves babies. He was 15 months old when DS2 was born. There were some rough moments in the beginning. And obviously some rough times through out. But he hasn't ever had much jealousy towards his brother, and he love love loves his brother. The other day he say DS2 was his best friend...then tackled him haha. I'm worried about how DS2 will transition. I think he will be ok. But who knows. DS1 loves babies and likes to feed his baby doll so I think he will be excited to help with this new little one.
  • I think we are going to try and visit a few daycares in the coming weeks. What are some questions that I should make sure I ask when I'm there? I want to make sure I have everything covered. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

• 1. Protocol for others to pick up your kid (in case you're late, etc)
    2. Soothing methods they use (the first in-home person we used relied solely on rocking and feeding- we switched really fast)
    3. What items you need to bring and protocol on bottles etc (some places will only rinse the bottles and send them home to be washed and some will keep your bottles there and wash them after each use, same with bibs, etc)
    4. About cloth diapering if you're interested in it
    5. What the general structure of the days look like (some are very laid back especially at the nursery level and basically just free play all day and others will still basically play all day but will work more at honing skills like practicing ripping paper, etc)
    6. If they have a vacation policy (like after 1 year you can pull your kid out for 1 week without paying the weekly fee)
    7. Fee structure including early drop-offs, late pick ups, any annual fees
    8.  If they provide meals and what kind (more for when they're older)

• Thank you, @silvercamaro77! This is really helpful!

Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

• @silvercamaro77 thank you so much! This was extremely helpful! I have no idea what to ask or anything and we are visiting a center and an in-home next week.
  • @becbec28 I use the "full u shaped pillow." I got it because I toss and turn a lot. I didn't want to have to switch my pillow everytime I switched sides.  The one I got is the Leachco Chic back and belly. I love it.  It's giving me all the support I need for my back.  I just wish we had a king size bed because on a queen, this pillow takes up a lot of space.  You can manage but it's not the greatest situation.  My husband likes the pillow, too. I've caught him using it.  If you do decide to get this pillow I highly recommend you get the "Chic" version because the original had a flaw where the pillow digs into your neck.  Good luck!

• I just use a ton of regular pillows, maybe o should check one out 
  • I *think* I'm starting to feel baby. Yesterday after I had eaten a snack and drank some sprite I felt an on and off kind of ache I guess in the middle of my stomach. I don't really know how else to explain it. I know it wasn't gas. It was a different feeling. How do you describe the feeling of baby moving/kicking?

Love my LEO!!

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• becbec28 said:
    I *think* I'm starting to feel baby. Yesterday after I had eaten a snack and drank some sprite I felt an on and off kind of ache I guess in the middle of my stomach. I don't really know how else to explain it. I know it wasn't gas. It was a different feeling. How do you describe the feeling of baby moving/kicking?
    I can have different sensations. One is like a muscle spasm you can't control. Another is like a rolling feeling. 
  • @fourPsinapod huh that's really interesting! I've felt her from the outside but not the inside yet lol

Love my LEO!!

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• becbec28 said:
    I *think* I'm starting to feel baby. Yesterday after I had eaten a snack and drank some sprite I felt an on and off kind of ache I guess in the middle of my stomach. I don't really know how else to explain it. I know it wasn't gas. It was a different feeling. How do you describe the feeling of baby moving/kicking?
    I can have different sensations. One is like a muscle spasm you can't control. Another is like a rolling feeling. 
    Yep- mine tend to feel like either a spasm or a rolling feeling.  The rolling feeling doesn't necessarily feel good, but I wouldn't say it's painful either.

• JannieJ said:
    I never had any problems bringing a new baby home. Then again, my first born had just turned 1 when my son was born. Then, when #3 came home the older two were 2 & 3 so they kinda had each other to entertain (and be michevious with) while I tended to the baby. Lol!