October 2016 Moms

Previous C-Section Mamas Please Help

Hey Everyone!  So after having Placenta Previa since 12 weeks, I went for my last ultrasound today (35 weeks 4 days) and nothing has changed.  We even saw that the placenta is resting right next to a big clump of blood vessels .... so.... to prevent hemorrhaging, I will be having a c-section.  I didn't have one with my DD so I'm reaching out to all of you who have had one.  Is there anything that you recommend packing for my hospital bag that is extremely helpful for a c-section recovery?  I meet with my Dr. tomorrow and last time she told me that they usually schedule c-sections for placenta previa at 37 weeks to prevent going into labor- my 37th week starts next Friday!!  Crazy!  Any recommendations you may have would be greatly appreciated!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Oct 16 March Siggy Challenge

Oct 16 Feb Siggy Challenge

Re: Previous C-Section Mamas Please Help

• I don't really think that there's anything I will pack for my repeat c-section that I wouldn't otherwise pack for birth. You won't need padsicles and Dermoplast and that sort of stuff. If you're planning to breastfeed, bring a nursing pillow to the hospital with you, so that you can be comfortable feeding baby without him or her resting on your incision. The hospital will give you everything that you need to care for your incision. Oh, my hospital wouldn't let me wear my contacts or any jewelry during surgery, so I had to bring my glasses. This time I'll leave all my jewelry at home too. 
    Good luck! 
  • Just make sure whatever pants you bring to wear home are oversized and that the waistband sits up on your belly button. If you want, bring a robe for when they make you take a couple of laps around the postpartum ward. Other than that, nothing really special. The nursing pillow mentioned above is necessary as well. Good luck!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It's not really something special to bring but keep in mind that it is good to hold a pillow against your stomach if you need to cough or sneeze (or even laugh hard). It helps with pain and to not feel like it'll rip open, with a c section or any other similar surgery
  • Lurking from Dec16...you'll probably want to wear the hospital mesh undies when you are there, but definitely buy a pack of 2/3 sizes too big granny panties for when you are home. All my undies sat right on the incision for my c section so the night I got home DH had to run to Walmart at midnight for super duper granny panties. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• A boppy is great for holding against your incision when you cough, laugh, or try to get out of bed.  Pads, taped over your incision area, are also great for protecting a tender incision, especially if you find your clothing hits it.

To help with your c-section recovery, try to get up and walking around as soon, and as much, as possible. Take the pain medicine before you think you really need it.  Good luck!  
  • This will be my 4th c-section. I agree with having extra pillows to hold against your incision as well as prop baby up so they don't rest on it.
    Most of the time the medicines used for surgery as well as the pain meds can cause nausea & constipation, (definitely do not want to be throwing up after just having stomach surgery), so I request medicine for these things preemptivley.  
    This sounds strange but having gas built up can cause pain in your belly, back, shoulders,etc. Do not hold it in. If you aren't able to pass it the constipation meds should help. 
    The mesh panties are great because they don't rub on your incision, take any extra they give you home & make sure you have some of your own high cuts at home. 
    As hard as it is to want to, taking a shower as soon as I was able, was such a relief! 
    I prefer to wear my own cloths in the hospital so I don't have to worry about gown oopsies.  I buy yoga or pajama style pants for this. 
    Best wishes!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with all the previous posts, this will be my 2nd csection.

• Yep! Everyone said it well. And seriously walk as much as possible early on (without overdoing it). I walked to the NICU multiple times a day with a wheelchair as a "walker" and I'm pretty confident that made a huge difference. Also, sorry about the previa. I had complete and hemorrhaged last time. It's such a pain in the ass. 

Me: 29 DH: 30

Aug 2012: Hyperprolactinemia & two prolactinomas discovered, started bromocriptine 2.5mg/day
    Nov 2012: BFP!! EDD Aug 2013
    Jul 2013: DS born at 35w5d in an emergency CS after maternal fetal hemorrhage and complete previa
    TTA BUT SURPRISE BFP 1/29/15 without medication m/c @ 6w5d
    TTC #2 starting Jul 2015: Back on bromocriptine 2.5mg/day
    Dec 2015: Endocrinologist refers to RE, DH's SA was perfect, my hysteroscopy was perfect
    Jan 2016: Femara cycle #1 - two follies on L, trigger CD 15, BFP, EDD 10/28/16
  • I really liked wearing yoga pants with a fold-over waist - get two pairs to rotate for a week or so. It's nice to have a waistband that's not restrictive, but still supportive so you don't feel like your insides are going to fall out (I'm sorry but that's really the best way to describe the first few days!). 

I've also seen some friends recommend a special girdle/binder thing to wear around your waist, but I'm guessing yoga pants are a lot cheaper ... and more comfortable. 

Another suggestion: Since yours will be scheduled, you'll want to prep the area ... Shave if you can manage, or have your DH help out. Since mine was unplanned, the nurses used a BIC razor and some soap ... the resulting razor burn hurt just as bad as my incision! They may still have to shave you as protocol, but if you can get most of the major work done, the after-effects hopefully won't be as bad. 
  • Thanks so much!  You ladies are all so awesome and offered some really great advice!  @mamaklee that really sucks that you hemorrhaged last time- yes, previa sucks, but at least it has nothing to do with the baby and she is really healthy!  I am going to run to target later after my Dr. apt and get some 'granny undies'.  The yoga pants are a great option too because I read online that some doctors don't want you using abdominal binders until the incision has healed (which seems counterproductive to the reason you would use one in the first place).  I'm going to force myself to get up and walking as soon as I can.  Good luck to you all too!!!

Pregnancy Ticker

Oct 16 March Siggy Challenge

Oct 16 Feb Siggy Challenge

• As high waisted granny panties a size extra big was my main thing. You don't want anything near your incision. 
    I agree with shaving, I didn't want to be dry shaved so I was glad I was cleanly shaven. 

Just a few other things. They're food hitlers usually about no eating after surgery. My second c section my nurse was awesome sauce and let me eat some small snacks (muffin, crackers, toast) after I was back with it, I felt great as soon as I ate. I was up and walking that afternoon to the bathroom. I think that helped me a lot so if they'll let you get up out of bed, get up. And don't be scared to eat a little if your not feeling sick. I mean don't pig out but getting some food in your body helps. The nurse said they're stupid about food, how else are you supposed to start healing up and make milk for your baby if they starve you. But she was awesome. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a c section last time around, and will be having a repeat this time. The only thing I can think of is that wearing a nightgown was helpful because they are constantly checking your incision. Plus, it hurt to have anything rubbing on it. For this reason, low cut underwear are a must as well.  I also had the my breast friend breastfeeding pillow, which is supposed to be great for c section moms, but I don't really know why! 
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • I just want to say this will be my 2nd (had a mandatory C section with my twins) and I was SOOOO nervous about the surgery. Don't Be. Seriously, it is super calm, and planned, and the epidural is nothing to freak about (this was my greatest fear). It is still a beautiful moment when you meet that baby. 

After, once they wean you off the pain medicine (they will give you a prescription for home, although I never used it) it just feels like you did thousands of sit ups :) and the pain fades. 

Everyone else's advice is great---high waisted pants/panties...I wore the mesh ones they give you while I was at the hospital, and ask for a belly binder. It just helps you feel more secure. One thing I did think was weird (it gets better over time) is you feel like your insides were shifted around, and it feels weird to like pee and stuff, but it does get better!!!

You got this!

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers