September 2016 Moms
Options

BTDT Mom's- Circumcision Thoughts

Hi ladies.....So we are going to get baby circumcised- however our doula mentioned having a urologist actually do the circumcision vs having the OB do it after little man is born......any thoughts, insight on this would be much appreciated.....I can understand why having a urologist do it could be beneficial- but at the same time- the OB's have been doing them for years??? However, one of my friends did just have her little guy and they were referred to a urologist by their OB because of some other issue.....So they are waiting a year to do the actual procedure now.  Would love to hear other's thoughts on this.

Re: BTDT Mom's- Circumcision Thoughts

• Options
    @MNturnsVA We chose not to, but if we were to do it, I would go with the urologist. It's their thing. OBs do them, yeah, but Urologists whole focus is on that part of the anatomy, so I'd be more comfortable with that.

• Options
    DS's circumcision was done by a urologist only because he had a hydroseal  (sp) at birth and the pediatric nurse in the hospital advised we wait a week or 2 before having it done. All in all, I feel my  ob/gyn would have been okay doing it, she's been practicing for 20+ 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We had our OB do it for C and there were no complications at all.  They're trained to do them as part of their service and they're trained surgeons too, so I trusted them completely.  Honestly, the thought of a urologist never even crossed my mind.  I think the only way I would've gone that route would have been if there was some kind of complication with his penis and the OB suggested it.

Piper, 4/10/10
    Connor, 3/16/15
    Morgan, EDD 9/22/16

• Options
    My on said the baby's pediatrician would do it at baby's first appointment. She also said to try and get it done in the first week or two of life. If you wait too long, it turns into a much bigger surgery and they have to put the babies under general anesthesia 
  • Options
    The doula had said that we would do it sooner than later even with a urologist- but I am on the fence about how I feel about the whole thing......thanks for the input.
  • Options
    So I'm not sure why that previous post had a line through it- but just in case you couldn't read it- our doula had said that unless there was anything wrong- we would do the circumcision with the urologist sooner than later.  thanks for the input.....I'm very on the fence.
  • Options
    Where I am delivering they will not even do the circumcision at the hospital. If you choose to get one you must go to a urologist and it is not covered by health care so you must pay out of pocket. Granted I live in Canada so health insurance is quite different than the US. 
  • Options
    Where I am delivering they will not even do the circumcision at the hospital. If you choose to get one you must go to a urologist and it is not covered by health care so you must pay out of pocket. Granted I live in Canada so health insurance is quite different than the US. 
    We had to pay out of pocket for DS, 2 reasons, the recommended Dr was not in network and because this was a separate health "issue", not pregnancy or delivery related. I believe we paid about  $1k.   
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We had our OB do the procedure last time, it was an out of pocket expense simply because it is not often paid for insurance (not considered a NECESSARY procedure.. I'm not arguing whether it is or not).  It's hard to give an opinion since no one here has my OB but she did a fantastic job and we are extremely pleased with the results.

My husband is Jewish and his family wanted us to use a Mohel... which is a Jewish figure trained in performing a circumcision as part of an overall ritual.  That was not my cup of tea, I wanted it done in the hospital ASAP after birth, so that's what we did and what we will do this time as well.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My OB has done it for years and she did DSs. No complications and I trusted her completely. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker