April 2016 Moms

Lactation problems...

I'm lucky if I pump 2 ounces a day anymore.  It's so frustrating.  I just started taking Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle to try and up my milk production but I'm wondering if my pump has anything to do it?
I have the Medela in-style double pump, which was provided by my insurance provider.  It seems to work okay, I guess, but have any of you switched from something like that to a hospital grade pump and seen better results?  I sort of feel like the suction should be more intense on the pump I own.

Re: Lactation problems...

• I have both the S2 and the PISA. Everyone is different but in my experience the suction is higher with the PISA. ALTHOUGH, these two pumps work differently so I don't think in this instance it matters which has a high suction since it's not comparing apples to apples.

I would try using a manual pump to see if you're getting a better output that way. If you don't have one, the Medela Harmony is only about $30 and a lot cheaper than renting or purchasing a hospital grade.

Also, check your membranes. That is what everyone says but it totally makes a difference. I use the after market duckbill membranes from Amazon because I hate the little flappy ones from Medela. Link: Duckbill membranes

One other thing is to check your flange size.
  • Agree with everything pp said. 

Do you feel full? I was experiencing a similar problem a month or so ago. I changed valves/membranes, cleaned tubing, etc. But couldn't pump more than a couple ounces despite feeling like there was milk left. Anyways. Turns out my pump was dying. I got a new one and it made a world of difference. I did have to do some power pumping for a couple days to help bring my supply back up.
  • Loading the player...
  • This is strictly me personally, but easy enough to try that I'll mention in the hopes it might help someone else - oatmeal! I used to eat oatmeal for breakfast and produced just fine. Stopped eating oatmeal, stopped producing. About two days after I started eating oatmeal again (specifically to hopefully pump more), I started getting 6-8 oz again. Hope it helps!
  • I agree with the suggestion for changing out the membranes. I always keep extras to switch out whenever I feel like I'm not getting enough. 
  • The hospital I gave birth at will check a pump's suction for free. Perhaps yours will? I was told by our lactation consultant that pumps are only made to last 500 hours of pumping time...
  • Change membranes and ensure breastshields are appropriate size. Also, I believe most baby stores rent hospital grade pumps. You could always try one out.
  • Thanks for all the replies! To answer a couple of questions....
    I do also have a manual pump.  I started using it a couple of months ago hoping for better results.  I bring it to work so I don't have to deal with plugs.  It's a Lansinoh.  
    Regarding the breast pump membranes....I've never changed those.  I do not mean this rudely or sarcastically, but what does that do?  To me, it just "looks" like a little floppy plastic piece that drains the milk but has no other purpose.  Does it actually have something to do with production?
    I read that the larger the flange, the better?  I'm a natural G-cup using a 27mm.....maybe it's not large enough?
    I do also have a manual pump.  I started using it a couple of months ago hoping for better results.  I bring it to work so I don't have to deal with plugs.  It's a Lansinoh.  
    Regarding the breast pump membranes....I've never changed those.  I do not mean this rudely or sarcastically, but what does that do?  To me, it just "looks" like a little floppy plastic piece that drains the milk but has no other purpose.  Does it actually have something to do with production?
    I read that the larger the flange, the better?  I'm a natural G-cup using a 27mm.....maybe it's not large enough?
    Yes. I change my membranes about every 8 weeks. It does make a difference for me.
    Not sure how or why, but changing the membranes totally makes a difference.
  • I use the Medela pump in style at home and a Medela hospital grade at work (I work at the hospital so just use the pumps there) I honestly don't notice much of a difference in how much I pump between the two! I would also suggest changing your membranes out! Also have no idea why but it does help! 
  • The membranes purpose is to create suction. It stays in a closed position to create enough suction when there is a compression, then it opens when the suction is released to drip into the bottle. If the membrane is worn out it is from being suctioned to a point of being too stretched out. Not sure how duck bills work...
  • The flange size doesn't necessarily correlate to cup size. I'm a D-DD but my nipples are smaller so I use 21mm flanges (or did before I stopped). Medela's guide to finding the right size is here: https://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/tips-and-solutions/13/choosing-your-personalfit-breastshield-size

You can order inexpensive ones on Amazon if you need a different size - nenesupply and maymom are the two main brands.
  • yodiggityyodiggity member
    edited August 2016
    Thanks for all the replies! To answer a couple of questions....
    The membranes make the biggest difference. Like Knottie9983816  said, it's all about the suction. The duckbills are the same concept. I think they provide more of a suction personally and easier to clean. I use the 27mm flanges too but it doesn't have anything to do with cup size. It's about the nipple size. I also have a Lansinoh manual pump and I *hate* it. I prefer my Medela Harmony if I need to use a manual. I keep the Lansinoh in the car for just in case but I VERY rarely use it because I just don't think it works well.
  • Lemme say what just SUCKS (no pun intended) ....when you work soooo hard to pump and you look in your bag and 2 oz of breastmilk is still in the bottle that you forgot about overnight!!!  TRAGIC.   :'(
  • @yodiggity
    I will try the Medela manual pump. I'm not opposed to spending a little money on one that may work better or is recommended. 
    I did change out my membranes on the electric pump and didn't have any luck, BUT I did breastfeed my little one not long before, so I may not have had much milk anyway. I will try again and hope for better results.

Thanks y'all!  This is good info to have. As far as the flanges go, the 24mm seemed a little small and the 27mm seemed a little big - they don't make one in between that I saw, so I'll have to make do.

I'm wishing I hadn't been so annoyed with being engorged a few months ago. What I wouldn't do to have that problem now!
  • What they said, but I thought I'd mention water and calorie intake too...make sure you're eating and drinking enough. Also if you have time to power pump that may help. When my LO started block feeding I used my manual pump to pump the other side and it really helped my supply. Good luck. 
  • If it hasn't already been mentioned, you could try making lactation cookies. I eat them like candy. I believe they are helping me
  • Im struggling with low supply issues too and just met with my lactation consultant about it since I haven't been able to rebound on my own. Some things she suggested were: renting a hospital grade pump (you can do this at BRU), power pumping (pump 10 min on 10 min off for an hour 3x/day), warming the flanges before pumping, waking up at night to pump between 10p-3a (I haven't done this yet), and she suggested taking a supplement called Moringa/melunggay rather than fenugreek. Those were all some tips that were new to me that I hadn't tried and I'm seeing some improvement in only 2 days. I hope it helps!