November 2016 Moms

Detergent

Hi everyone. What detergent are you all using/planning to use for baby stuff? Ive been reading up on Dreft but not sure if it's really all that necessary. What about All Baby? Thanks in advance! 

Re: Detergent

• I've been using all baby. It smells good... That's about all the input I've got at this point lol 
  • Whatever is dye and fragrance free at the store.
  • Loading the player...
  • I use our regular detergent. The baby is against my clothing as much as hers, so I always just use something gentle (Method is my favorite) and wash everything in it.

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had never planned on spending the extra $ for Dreft and with DS was just planning on using whatever is free of dye and fragrance at the store, but someone gave me a bottle of Dreft as a gift at my baby shower and I got addicted to the smell lol. I definitely ended up using it throughout DS's entire first year. That being said, since you're only washing baby clothes with it and not your own, one bottle lasts a long time. I think I only used 2-3 bottles in the whole first year.
  • I like Baby All over dreft because DD#1 broke out from dreft. 
  • Thank you guys! 
  • I had to switch to Tide Free & Gentle when my daughter was born. For me and my Fiance as well! The Dreft and other baby detergents still made her break out! She couldn't/can't have any detergent with dyes or perfumes. Even her baby shampoo had to be unscented and dye free until she turned 2, when we switched to Honest Co. And her diapers. I couldnt use Luvs, Buggies or Pampers because of the dyes! 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • We use All Free and Clear for our regular laundry and will be using it for baby too. Just washed the hand me downs/consignment purchases in it this weekend. 
  • We don't buy baby specific, just a free & clear detergent for everything.  After using it for so many years, I can't stand the smell of scented detergents! 
  • fiscally3 said:
    We don't buy baby specific, just a free & clear detergent for everything.  After using it for so many years, I can't stand the smell of scented detergents! 
    This is me too. We let our nanny wash a few loads in our machine a few months ago and she brought her own scented detergent. The smell lingered on the next load of clothes I washed in there! I actually had to rewash them since the strong smell was making me nauseous (yay 1st tri!). 
  • This might be too crunchy for some, but I like to look at ratings from the Environmental Working Group—
    https://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners

Dreft has really horrible ratings from the EWG, which is upsetting to me because every way you turn in Buy Buy Baby or when you flip the page in your free Fit Pregnancy & Parents magazines, it's there!

• I switch the whole family over to a free/clear detergent. If you really want the scent of Dreft, Purex makes a similar formula and scent and it's less than 1/3 the cost of Dreft.
  • I am FTM but my friend suggested Charlie`s Soap which is perfume and fragrance free. I will try this one first.
  • @ZoeFer we used to use Charlie's soap (I cloth diapered for awhile), I noticed after we started exclusively using it our clothes were dingy looking. Went back to another free & clear and clothes looked and felt much cleaner.
  • Thanks for the comment @fiscally3 can you suggest the brand you liked ?
  • @ZoeFer right now we're using the Costco brand free & clear, my next purchase I'd like to try Norwex, I've only heard good things! I'll try to remember to post what I think after actually trying it :)
  • We've started using All Free and Clear. Didn't make sense to spend money on "special" detergent. We also ditched the dryer sheets for balls and so far I'm loving it!
  • We used all free and clear for a while, now that he's older than 1, we use regular detergent
  • Just free and clear type detergent for everything. I usually buy whatever is on sale.. Costco brand, tide, arm and hammer. My dermotologist said dreft causes more breakouts that anything else. And as someone said, baby is up against you and your clothes most of the time!
    Awesome Kid #1: Born September 2013!
    Awesome Kid #2: Due November 2016!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • mrsmoose5 said:
    I had never planned on spending the extra $ for Dreft and with DS was just planning on using whatever is free of dye and fragrance at the store, but someone gave me a bottle of Dreft as a gift at my baby shower and I got addicted to the smell lol. I definitely ended up using it throughout DS's entire first year. That being said, since you're only washing baby clothes with it and not your own, one bottle lasts a long time. I think I only used 2-3 bottles in the whole first year.
    I can't stand the smell of Dreft! My SIL washed all her hand-me-downs in Dreft and I had to rewash everything in unscented detergent before I could put it away. The smell is so strong it gave me a headache!
  • I can't stand body soil, and I'll be cloth diapering, so I will use what I always use (Tide with color-safe bleach) unless the baby's skin demands otherwise.  I am looking for an organic brand that has organic color-safe bleach, and as soon as that unicorn appears, I'll be using it.