February 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms (8/29)

Re: Weekly Randoms (8/29)

• @Starfish113, that is awful!   What an idiot, and I am so sorry it was your new car.   I would be so upset too!
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @yogadevil I have no idea if it's acceptable, but it sure gave me a laugh! :grin:
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • @Starfish113 I'm so sorry you had such a rough day!! I absolutely HATE people who crash into others and try put the blame on someone else.  Thank God, that other guy was there to back you up! 

• Anyone enduring potty training? My kid is holding in her poops for days. She will do it if she's watching a video on my phone but we're trying to get her away from that which is challenging. We're giving her a constipation relief dose each day (aka prune juice concentrate) but she still argues with us even if she's showing all the signs of needing to go (crossing legs, asking to go pee when she wont go, etc). She has a doctors appt coming up which I intend on asking about it then too. 
  • sorry that stinks! @Starfish113 I'm glad you're okay! 
  • Anyone enduring potty training? My kid is holding in her poops for days. She will do it if she's watching a video on my phone but we're trying to get her away from that which is challenging. We're giving her a constipation relief dose each day (aka prune juice concentrate) but she still argues with us even if she's showing all the signs of needing to go (crossing legs, asking to go pee when she wont go, etc). She has a doctors appt coming up which I intend on asking about it then too. 
    Is she peeing fine, or is it just the poop? My kid was having painful poops and would hold them for days, which in turn made them worse. 
  • fourPsinapodfourPsinapod member
    edited August 2016
    Anyone enduring potty training? My kid is holding in her poops for days. She will do it if she's watching a video on my phone but we're trying to get her away from that which is challenging. We're giving her a constipation relief dose each day (aka prune juice concentrate) but she still argues with us even if she's showing all the signs of needing to go (crossing legs, asking to go pee when she wont go, etc). She has a doctors appt coming up which I intend on asking about it then too. 
    Is she peeing fine, or is it just the poop? My kid was having painful poops and would hold them for days, which in turn made them worse. 
    Yeah, she pees just fine and doesn't seem backed up. Her stomach isn't hard or anything. She just asks to go pee and then doesn't when it's getting close to time to poop. She eats, drinks, and pees normally otherwise. She used to go every day and now it's generally once every 3 days, sometimes even longer. 

ETA: the prune juice concentrate does help but it takes a few days to kick in - it's not instantaneous. 
  • @fourPsinapod my kid won't poop in the potty at all. I don't know how he's going to eventually go to college without ending up in my bed or pooping in diapers 
  • @Starfish113 I am so sorry that happened! What a jackwagon, it was clearly her fault.  Good thing there was a witness to it.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
    My daughter was so stubborn when it came to pooping, she would always ask for a pull-up. If I wouldn't give her one she would hold it until it was super painful for her. We even used miralax at our doctors suggestion and she would still somehow hold it for over a week. It was frustrating. It literally took her almost a year to finally go on the potty. We tried every reward and every suggestion but ultimately what worked was I would give her a pull-up and make her stay in the bathroom to go, my next step was going to be making her sit on the potty with a pull-up on but after just a day or two she went on the potty all on her own. I don't know if she was just finally ready at nearly 3 or if she figured she was in the bathroom anyway might as well use the toilet but it worked. 
  • @Starfish113, I'm so glad you're okay. What a nightmare and especially with a brand new car. That person is a piece of shit and I'm so glad there was a witness who did the right thing. Was your DD upset you weren't able to get her? That is way too much for you to have to deal with at once. 

@fourPsinapod, I posted about this a long time ago when I first started here and have nothing but sympathy. My DD will be 4 (yes, 4) in a few weeks and still isn't potty trained whatsoever (pee or poop.) Granted she has actually been diagnosed with autism (like my DS) but she is extremely high functioning and it is very mild so I'm thinking that really doesn't have anything to do with it. She doesn't qualify for any special services at her preschool program nor does she receive any therapy at home (maybe this will change in the future, don't know.) She is also stubborn as hell which is not helping. She will literally make herself sick trying to hold it (pee or poop) if she doesn't have a pull-up on. I will be discussing this with her pedi in a few months at her next appointment. I'm at a complete loss. 
  • Got to come home to a drugged out couple beating the crap out of each other in the middle of the road today. DH called the cops and apparently they had gotten a bunch of complaints. We've lived here for 2 years and never had issues like this. Kids play up and down these roads for goodness sake. They went to jail and the cops were gutting their trailer the last time we went out. We live in a townhouse apartment off the main road. 

DH has been ready to move. Now, I am too. It kinda ruined the out in the country charm for me. 
    My daughter has been potty trained for maybe 3-4 months and for a while it was terrible and frustrating with her holding her poop and then pooping her pants when she couldn't hold it anymore. I noticed she would complain her belly hurt when she needed to poop but still refused to sit on the potty so I started just sitting her on it anyway even if she cried, fault and protested and she would go. We read a book or sing a song so she relaxes and it has gotten much better. 
  • Bachelor is paradise fans.. Did you see who the new bachelor is?!? 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I just took off my bra to get in the bath and found a piece of pasta from dinner... I fed it to the dog. I feel like this will just become a more common occurence once baby is here.
    I am still laughing way too hard at this!!!

• edited August 2016
    Bachelor is paradise fans.. Did you see who the new bachelor is?!? 
    I just watched Monday's episode and need to watch tonight's.  I'm so curious to know!! 

::off to Google::

ETA omg!!

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • @krob got banned?!?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It appears she did, but that seems like a mistake...
  • @BumpasaurusRex I'm so excited it's him! 

• @BumpasaurusRex I'm so excited it's him! 
    Me too, he deserves it! 

• I didn't know you were in California @raptormomma
  • Jab3 said:
    @Starfish113, I'm so glad you're okay. What a nightmare and especially with a brand new car. That person is a piece of shit and I'm so glad there was a witness who did the right thing. Was your DD upset you weren't able to get her? That is way too much for you to have to deal with at once. 

@fourPsinapod, I posted about this a long time ago when I first started here and have nothing but sympathy. My DD will be 4 (yes, 4) in a few weeks and still isn't potty trained whatsoever (pee or poop.) Granted she has actually been diagnosed with autism (like my DS) but she is extremely high functioning and it is very mild so I'm thinking that really doesn't have anything to do with it. She doesn't qualify for any special services at her preschool program nor does she receive any therapy at home (maybe this will change in the future, don't know.) She is also stubborn as hell which is not helping. She will literally make herself sick trying to hold it (pee or poop) if she doesn't have a pull-up on. I will be discussing this with her pedi in a few months at her next appointment. I'm at a complete loss. 
    Ugh I'm so sorry :( it is very frustrating! Hugs! 
  • @Gretchypoo we moved to Colorado in June but my whole family is still there so I go back a lot. I'll actually be delivering there

• I seriously think my husband has a form of sleep apnea. He gets terrible night terrors that he says causes sleep paralysis and he has to shake uncontrollably to wake himself up. I nudged him bc he was snoring and he told
    me he just saw something climb in from the top of the doorway. Anddddd now I might sleep with the tv on. 
  • @Gretchypoo we moved to Colorado in June but my whole family is still there so I go back a lot. I'll actually be delivering there
    I think you meant to tag me lol @raptormomma

• I seriously think my husband has a form of sleep apnea. He gets terrible night terrors that he says causes sleep paralysis and he has to shake uncontrollably to wake himself up. I nudged him bc he was snoring and he told
    me he just saw something climb in from the top of the doorway. Anddddd now I might sleep with the tv on. 
    That sounds creepy as hell! 
  • @Gingersnap haha i definitely did. Were you able to find a 3D ultrasound on groupon or check out that Costa Mesa one?

• @Gingersnap haha i definitely did. Were you able to find a 3D ultrasound on groupon or check out that Costa Mesa one?
    We are waiting until my H gets back into the country, so hopefully next week! 

• @Jab3 I think Olivia's 5 day diastasis fix is on her website so that's a good sample without FB.  If you're on instagram she set up an account that she's been using just for posting videos of various individual exercises.  Her website is oliviacagle.com  (can't link because the filters at work think its sex education lol).  

Another one I've seen but have not used is fit2be.com (link is set directly to their diastasis section). It is website based so it's another option. I've also heard Olivia talk a lot about Katy Bowman, but I think she focuses more specifically on making sure you're staying aligned properly rather than focusing on healing the diastasis (although alignment is a big component of healing).

Is there any specific reason you avoid facebook?  It can definitely be a time drainer, so I can completely understand avoiding it.  I actually went through not too long ago and unfollowed almost everyone on my friends list (as well as unfriended a bunch of people), so that my feed is almost exclusively groups I've joined and my non-annoying family.  It's helped me cut back a lot on the mindless surfing but still lets me use it as a resource for things that can genuinely benefit me.
    I was actually really interested in this too because I Definetly have this problem! I think my original question to you was about car seats fitting properly in the small vehicle we have because you had mentioned a good place to check out on Facebook. 

TL;DR: I'm all set with Facebook for many reasons at the present time.

The time drain is definetly one of the reasons I have avoided ever creating a Facebook page. I have quite a few reasons lol The way you're handling it sounds spot on though and makes me tempted to create one! I will be really sad if/when everyone eventually does migrate away from here and onto there instead. I'm pretty private about things IRL, but am wanting the connection to other moms going through similar stuff badly enough to bypass those feelings to join something like this. I know I could make a "private" page with only people I want, but I guess there's no one IRL right now that I really need/want to be in touch with right now. Everyone I'm currently close to I will either just call or text if we're not close in proximity or just talk in person if we are. Here it's like no one actually knows who I am (at least I don't think they do!)

I'm also not a big fan of plastering pictures all over the Internet of myself, my kids, family, life etc. (absolutely no judgement whatsoever towards those who love this type of stuff.) I know it can be kept "private" but the thought of it still sketches me out. H and I are those weird parents who opt out of or refuse to sign/give consent to anything involving our kids pictures or info being posted anywhere online. 

H and I know some really mean spirited people too and have had some nasty run ins with some throughout time (including several members of our own families which is sad.) This includes one of my exes as well who is the psycho stalker abusive type. So it's also a safety/protection thing too.

I guess also because I'm extremely conflict avoidant and while I can appreciate a good debate or differing opinions, I can't stand intense drama which I feel like Facebook is so loaded with. I'm all set with that type of stuff. I would end up getting irritated with and blocking almost everyone haha I know a few people too who would be really hurt if I didn't include them on my page or whatever but they would drive me nuts with their constant "Look at me! Look what I have!" attitudes. Which kinda leads into my next reason...

I'm also having a real issue with feeling way too sensitive about people judging me because of the situation my family and I are in right now as far as housing instability. And it goes the other way too. I'm finding myself feeling very jealous of others as time goes on (which I know is dead wrong on my part.) It is something I'm really trying to work on especially because I do have plenty to be grateful for. I can also bet money I don't have on the fact that I would be constantly comparing myself to everyone else on there as I already do daily without it all right there visually staring me in the face. Nice big beautiful homes (or homes at all,) vacations, wedding stuff (since I never had one,) new clothes, cars, household purchases, jobs that aren't dead end and actually pay decent, improvements on appearances, tight knit family relationships, extracurriculars for kids, etc. The last thing I want is for those I know IRL to feel like I'm not happy for them or that they can't share their happy moments in life with me because it may come across as braggy and/or they pity me since I don't have that stuff. So I just avoid the whole thing altogether!
  • @fourPsinapod, thanks and hope you have better luck with the crazy PT soon too! Also meant to say I'm very glad to hear of the good results from your mom's surgery too. I hope everything continues to be good for her going forward!
  • I was woken up by a Charlie horse so bad I had to get out of bed to stretch and deal with it. Half an hour before my alarm, which is 4:40a - too early for anyone to be woken up!! Happy hump day, y'all. 
  • @fourPsinapod does your husband sleep on his back?
  • homemake said:
    @fourPsinapod does your husband sleep on his back?
    He does - I was researching sleep paralysis a little more and told him to sleep on his side more. He seriously gets terrified when these episodes happen. And then he finally comes to and tells me about the demon on the ceiling and falls back asleep while I freak out lol
  • @fourPsinapod Yes that's exactly what I was going to say. I've had a couple times when I had sleep paralysis but only when I've fallen asleep accidentally on my back. 
  • @Jab3 Sorry!  I got confused!  Car Seats for the Littles also has a blog and they post really in-depth reviews of a lot of different car seats and to the extent they can they test out the fit in different vehicles and in different configurations, but it's much more limited because it's just a few people running the blog and they only have so many vehicles.  That's why I typically suggest the FB group.  Since there are a lot of members in the group there's a much wider variety of experience with different seats and different cars.

There's also a forum at Car-Seat.org that you could search through/post on.  I've found some good information there, but FB has generally been a little simpler for me to use (they are not run by the same groups).

It sounds like we have personality similarities when it comes to FB!  I've always done a lot more looking on it than posting because I haven't wanted to take the time to deal with all the settings to get the privacy narrowed down to my liking. I'm undecided about whether I will join a FB group for this board when the time comes for the same reason, but we'll see.  When I do share a picture I have it set to default to only friends being able to see it and I've narrowed my friends list down enough that I'm comfortable with that.

I have a long-time friend and he and his wife are the same way about pictures of their little girl.  They share pictures of her on FB sometimes, but they never show her face on FB.  Every few months they'll add regular pictures to a secured photo site and will let everyone know it's been updated and if you want to view the pics, you let them know and they'll send you the link and the password.  Only close friends/family that live farther away ever ask for the link, others just don't care enough to go through the trouble.

I have really enjoyed using FB for the groups though, so it's something that I would recommend trying if you're so inclined.

• Is anyone currently/has in the past/planning on going back to school? Most importantly, while they have kids and/or are pregnant? I've wanted to be a teacher since the summer I graduated college (2012)...I know, too little too late since I have my bachelor's in Business Management. I would really love to go back to school and get my masters in education and I can do it all online - with the exception of student teaching. My fiancé wants me to do it also, obviously because I want to, but also because he thinks the teachers hours are great for having kids and he loved that his mom was at home when he was a kid. How hard do you think it'd be to work full time, have an infant, go back to school, have a crazy hyper dog, and tough it out for 2 more semesters while my fiancé finishes his masters?

• I'm not sure if this should go in random or the STM thread, but I need some advice.

I'm a FTM and thought I had good insurance until it came time to use it. Apparently I have a plan that no one accepts. The closest OB that takes it is over an hour away and he delivers at a hospital I don't want to go to and I absolutely can't stand him as a person. Ive decided to just suck it up and deal with him until I can join my husband's amazing insurance in January.

So my question is has anyone switched doctors late in their pregnancy? I'm due Feb 14 so I'll be 34 weeks at the beginning of Jan. Can I sign up for hospital tours or classes at a hospital my current OB doesn't go to? I live within 15 minutes of two of the best hospitals in GA so I'd much rather go to one of those. Is there anything I need to do differently or plan for differently? My mother had all of her children a couple weeks early so switching that late is kind of stressing me out a bit..