March 2017 Moms
Options

Exercise and Placental Abruption?!

I was going to post this on the Fit Moms thread, but I actually want to open this up to the entire board.  Has anyone's OB ever told them that exercise will hurt the baby?

I was reading the most infuriating pregnancy book in the UNIVERSE this weekend - Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy.  It listed reasons to quit working out during pregnancy.  Every one of these reasons is completely infuriating, but I wanted to check with all of you.  She then goes on to claim that exercise (aerobics)  caused placental abruption in 2 out of her 4 pregnancies.  I am calling this out as bull$hit.  I hate this book so much.

Re: Exercise and Placental Abruption?!

• Options
    What the what?! That's so infuriating! As someone who is not allowed to exercise until further notice, I yearn every day to get out and run, bike, etc. While obviously there are reasons for avoiding exercise in pregnancy that are completely legitimate, most women can continue to exercise the entire time. There are so many benefits! It angers me that misinformation like this is floating around out there. 
  • Options
    That's so dumb!  Unless you're physically unable to or your doctor recommends you not, there is no reason why you cannot continue to work out!  I wish I felt better and could go for a run or go to my Orangetheory Fitness and get a work out in, but I can't right now...it was probably written by someone who has never been pregnant before.
    Me (37) Hubby (39) Married since 4.2009
    EP:  2.17.2016
    DS:  3.4.2017

Pregnancy TickerDD: due 7.16.2019

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also wanted to note that my book was an earlier version, and Reason #2 was, "You will look fat in your leotard."
  • Options
    I am in no means well versed on the topic of exercise during pregnancy, but my OB told me exercise was fine as long as I wasn't over-exerting myself. Also everything I've read said exercise is fine. I don't think it's healthy to be a complete couch potato during an entire pregnancy, especially if you exercised regularly before becoming pregnant. Stupid book!  
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    As long as you do it in moderation, you will be fine. Also, that list is the actual worst.  
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That looks like it is the worst book ever written. The only reason I feel normal and not nauseous today it because I got some good cardio in this morning. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

my doc flat out told me to not do anything that takes up too much energy, strenuous or rigorous, no running... so on

but then again that's cus im short and they are twins.  

SaveSave
  • Options
    PattersRNPattersRN member
    edited August 2016
    That is the single DUMBEST recommendation ever.  There are plenty of actual scientific studies that indicate exercise in moderation is beneficial for pregnant women.  Of course there are cases where exercise might be contraindicated, but not in a routine, uncomplicated, singleton pregnancy.  Also, WTAF is #8.....
    Married: 7/9/15
    Me: 37, DH: 36
    Started TTC #1: 9/2015
    Preliminary labs/testing @ 6 months: TSH, A1c, progesterone, prolactin, SA, HSG all normal
    BFP: 5/19/2016, M/C: 5/29/2016
    BFP: 6/22/2016  EDD 3//6/2017

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Cbeanz said:
    I was going to post this on the Fit Moms thread, but I actually want to open this up to the entire board.  Has anyone's OB ever told them that exercise will hurt the baby?

I was reading the most infuriating pregnancy book in the UNIVERSE this weekend - Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy.  It listed reasons to quit working out during pregnancy.  Every one of these reasons is completely infuriating, but I wanted to check with all of you.  She then goes on to claim that exercise (aerobics)  caused placental abruption in 2 out of her 4 pregnancies.  I am calling this out as bull$hit.  I hate this book so much.

Ummmm
    All 8 are objectively incorrect.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't exercise with my daughter and ended up with an abruption, so there's that. General rule of thumb is that it's safe to do things you could do before being pregnant, but avoid new exercises.
  • Options

I had a placental abruption with my DS and at no time ever did my doctors tell me that it was caused by exercise. it was caused because I had a hematoma that developed into an abruption.

However, once the abruption was diagnosed, I was told to absolutely NOT exercise and was put on bedrest for the majority of my pregnancy.

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• Options
    What in the actual F?! Is this a real book? Like actually published?! Who came up with this nonsense? I was told by my doc that I can continue to do whatever it was that I was doing before pregnancy, but of course be smart about it. If I can't talk during working out then to slow down. I want to slap this person. Horrible advice.
  • Options
    This book seems to set women back like 100 years... Makes us sound like superficial women that just worry about getting fat during pregnancy 
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Cbeanz said:
    I really like these responses, ladies.  I'm tempted to post more crap from this book.  It's sooooo wrong.  This woman clearly has body image issues.  Half the book is about getting fat.

And YES @DrillSergeantCat We're not "FAT" - we are carrying entire human beings in our abdomen.

I will say some women do use pregnancy as an excuse to eat whatever they want and they do gain more weight than they should, but still...

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Insane in the membrane!!
  • Options
    Isn't everything in the book written in jest? 
    Married DH 12/31/13
    BFP#1  1/21/14 ended in loss DNC 3/5/14
    BFP#2  7/2014 Baby Girl born 4/15/15
    BFP#3  2/10/2016 natural mc 2/27/2016
    BFP#4 6/25/2016 Due 3/2/2017
  • Options
    @AverageAsh The book is supposed to be funny, but how is #5 funny to anyone:

5. You might endanger the pregnancy.

She goes on to claim that aerobics caused placental abruption in two pregnancies and I don't believe this is accurate.
  • Options
    That's a load of crap.  My doctors/midwife (I've had 3 different providers over the years of babies) recommended 30 minutes daily of light exercise daily if not more if you've been active before pregnancy.  Obviously, you listen to your body and don't push yourself too far, but it's good for us and it does help you bounce back quicker after birth. 
    BFP #1 7/1/2009 ~ EDD 3/9/2010 ~ Ella Adeline (7lbs 4 oz, 19.5 inches) 3/5/2010 csection (39w3d)
    BFP #2 7/13/2011 ~ EDD 3/16/2012 ~Aubree Olivia (9lbs 1oz, 21 inches) 3/15/2012 VBAC (39w6d)
    BFP #3 5/15/2014 ~ EDD 1/16/2015~Addison Isabelle (9lbs, 0oz, 21 inches) 1/25/2015 2VBAC (41w2d)
    BFP #4 7/20/2016 ~ EDD 3/25/2017 ~ Malachi Mathew (10lbs 0oz, 22 inches) 4/4/2017 emergency csection (41w3d)

• Options
    What rock did this author climb out from under?? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

This book is the stupidest thing. Someone gave me a copy when I was pregnant with DS. I started reading it once and never went back because it was full of "uh WHAT." If working out caused placental abruptions there woud be a lot more of those going on. I'm all for those mamas that do crossfit up until they deliver as long as it works for them and their doctor. I'm also for eating pizza to your heart's content. 
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Options
    Cbeanz said:
    @AverageAsh The book is supposed to be funny, but how is #5 funny to anyone:

5. You might endanger the pregnancy.

She goes on to claim that aerobics caused placental abruption in two pregnancies and I don't believe this is accurate.
    Yuck. I only read the first chapter. I hope she really doesn't believe that she is to blame for her abruptions, that's a heavy (and probably unnecessary) load to bear.
    Married DH 12/31/13
    BFP#1  1/21/14 ended in loss DNC 3/5/14
    BFP#2  7/2014 Baby Girl born 4/15/15
    BFP#3  2/10/2016 natural mc 2/27/2016
    BFP#4 6/25/2016 Due 3/2/2017
  • Options
    What the eff?!  That list is crap.  My OB encourages exercise.  Only thing she told me to modify were some ab movements just to help avoid diastasis recti.
  • Options
    I will say some women do use pregnancy as an excuse to eat whatever they want and they do gain more weight than they should, but still...

This has been me so far.  I was gonna be so good and exercise and eat healthy...then morning sickness started and it all went down hill with the carbs and comfort food.  BUT I just started exercising again and I feel GREAT!!  I can't imagine anybody seriously saying exercise could danger a pregnancy this side of 1954. 
    Pregnancy Ticker