January 2017 Moms
Options

Skin Fold Problems?

(Not sure if this fits under symptoms?)
I have over hanging skin from previous weight loss. I have started to get an itchy sore area in one of the skin folds above my public area due to the recent increase in size of my abdomen (I'm assuming). The problem is that it's very VERY itchy and I'm worried about it developing an open sore. 

After showers and at night I try to leave it open as much as possible (no underwear, pajama pants, etc.) but during the day I want to gouge my skin off! Lol 

Any suggestions on what I might be able to safely use? Bag balm? Diaper rash cream? I have no idea what to use.... 

Re: Skin Fold Problems?

• Options
    In the hospital for this kind of situation they tell us not to let the skin touch, so if I have a pt with larger breasts I put a pillow case under them to seperate the skin. Where skin is touching can grow yeast. 

Also, I used to be heavier and lost 70 lbs, before loosing weight I chaffed on each thigh and I used to use aquaphor, may be spelled aquafor. It worked wonders, my husband and I both run and occasionally depending on the pants my DH wears he chaffs and always uses the aquaphor. 

I would recommend using this and then separating the skin when possible.

Hope that helps, if this wouldn't apply to you then disregard haha. Feel better!
  • Options
    I haven't had this specifically, but have had other random bouts of itchy skin - mainly on my chest and legs. I also had an itchy rash under my wedding rings for a while. I used coconut oil on the ring rash and it definitely helped. 

I treated the other itchy issues like eczema and only used sensitive soaps, etc on those areas + coconut oil for moisture, and it mostly cleared up after a week. If you think the itchiness is related to heat it might also help to ice it periodically to bring down the inflammation, but then make sure to thoroughly dry afterwards. 

Also I spoke to my MW about my stuff and she said it's ok to use regular cortisone cream in small doses. Maybe check with your doc about that, but could be an option if you get desperate!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have always carried extra weight in my stomach, and I had a csection with #1 which added to the flap area. I have had this problem, it's yeast.

What helps the most when mine pops up is to use a hair dryer to really dry out that fold area when I get out of the shower. Then I use diaper rash cream on it. I use some gauze pads then to fold and leave in the fold area to keep it from rubbing and to absorb any moisture. I also let it air as much as possible at night. It usually goes away in a 2-3 days or so with this routine. 
  • Options
    Thanks! I actually have both cortisone cream and diaper rash cream here at home. I had considered that it may be yeast, but thought it was strange since that usually happens to me after working out - which I haven't done in about a month due to life craziness. The drying it out at night doesn't seem to be helping, but I'll definitely try out the suggestions. 
  • Options
    If it is yeast you might think about trying Lotrimin cream.  

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you haven't tried it in the past, Gold Bond powder might be a good way to keep the area dry once you get the rash under control.
    *************************************************************************************************************Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I have used baby powder to help keep the area dry after washing it. 
  • Options
    Maybe anti-monkey butt powder for women, when it's under control?  I looooove that stuff!
  • Options
    I get that all the time. I have skin overhang from weight loss and a c-section from twins. What really helps me is, before getting dressed, make sure the area is completely dry then putting powder in the fold. It can be gold bond or baby powder. The gold bond worked wonders for me but it can sting at first. if you do this for a few days it should clear up. Then when it's clear switch to just baby powder daily. That is my regimen and it works perfectly. I haven't had a flare up since I got pregnant.

BabyFetus Ticker