November 2016 Moms
Options

Baby weight anxiety?

For the last couple of weeks, all I've done is worry about what labor is going to be like, and whether or not my daughter is going to be a huge baby or not. At my 20w a/s I was told she was in the 65 percentile, which is on the bigger side, but okay. But lately with my diet considered, I'm worried I'm going to have a 15lb. baby and end up on the news :( I really don't want that to happen. Anyone else worry about this crap, or is it just me?

Re: Baby weight anxiety?

• Options
    I'm there with ya. Had an ultrasound done at 30 weeks since I lost a bunch of weight post surgery. Turns out baby didn't miss a beat. He's at 3lb 9oz already. Doctor said he's measuring ahead of 30 weeks. Slow down baby! 
  • Options
    I truly believe that, in the absence of any medical complications like GD, your body won't grow a baby it cannot handle. 15 lb. babies don't really happen without some reason. 10 lb. babies are delivered perfectly fine by women of all sizes all the time. When it come to labor and delivery, positioning (get off your back!) are totally more
    importsnt than the actual baby's size...babies are "squishy"...it'll be fine. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor said that its not really the weight or length of a baby that makes delivery hard, but the head size. As long as your baby doesn't have a giant head you should be fine. Obviously you want everything in proportion, but there is really no big difference between giving birth to a 7 lb baby and a 9 lb baby because everything below the head just slips right out for the most part.
  • Options
    @MrsMaryK2016 LOL Oh man I'm sorry if I freaked you out more. Unless your Dr told you its something to worry about I wouldn't worry. Id imagine your baby will be proportionate to you and that everything will be fine. Are you a very petite person? Have they indicated they are worried about the size of the baby's head? I did have a cousin that ended up needing a c-section because her sons head was too big for her to birth naturally, so it does happen, but I think more often than not there are no hang ups. If you are concerned Id ask the Dr at your next appointment what their thoughts were specifically so at least you had their professional opinions.
  • Options
    @MrsMaryK2016 LOL Oh man I'm sorry if I freaked you out more. Unless your Dr told you its something to worry about I wouldn't worry. Id imagine your baby will be proportionate to you and that everything will be fine. Are you a very petite person? Have they indicated they are worried about the size of the baby's head? I did have a cousin that ended up needing a c-section because her sons head was too big for her to birth naturally, so it does happen, but I think more often than not there are no hang ups. If you are concerned Id ask the Dr at your next appointment what their thoughts were specifically so at least you had their professional opinions.
    Oh no, I'm just kidding. I haven't seen my OB yet, I go to a separate clinic for my ultrasounds, but the doctor there just teased me that the baby definitely doesn't have microcephaly and the tech doing the scan just remarked that he "doesn't have a small head". Otherwise it was no big deal. I'm not really panicking. Just like @atcwag I don't think the body will grow a baby it can't handle and if it does then we'll figure it out! I've become very go-with-the-flow in pregnancy, which is really unlike me...
  • Options
    My doctor said that its not really the weight or length of a baby that makes delivery hard, but the head size. As long as your baby doesn't have a giant head you should be fine. Obviously you want everything in proportion, but there is really no big difference between giving birth to a 7 lb baby and a 9 lb baby because everything below the head just slips right out for the most part.
    My son was born with a 15" head. It was expected because both families have large heads. I had no issues birthing him. Once I started pushing, he was out in less than 15 minutes. It's all about positioning. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    There's a bunch of P's they use to talk about birth:  Passenger (baby), passage, and a couple others I can't remember.   I wouldn't worry about the weight...  

For experience, I had a c-section with an 8lb, 6oz baby about a week late and a VBAC with an 8 lb, 13oz baby a week early so....
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • Options
    I figured after my tiny 4'8 BFF delivered her two daughters vaginally with no complications that I should be fine. Her daughters weren't tiny either. 
  • Options
    msu_galmsu_gal member
    edited August 2016
    I'm with @shevaCC , I'm pretty average sized and if tiny women can do it, I'm hoping I can too.  
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My first baby was born at 37 weeks 6lbs 3oz so probably would have been a good size if I had gone another few weeks. My 2nd was born at 39 weeks and was 9lbs 5oz. My 3rd was 38 weeks 1 day and she was 8lbs even. So your body will adjust to whatever your baby ends up being! You can do it. Try not to stress too much now. If you do have GD then you'll have extra monitoring for size. :smile:
  • Options
    With my first son he was breech so they delivered him at 38 weeks, they said he was measuring really big and they needed to get him out soon. i delivered him at 6 lbs 9 oz lol not even the little hospital coats they put on fit him. he wore preemie for almost a month. now with this baby they are telling me he is measuring very small even though i have already reached my weight gain target of 25lbs.. no telling what will happen every baby is different!
  • Options
    fiscally3fiscally3 member
    edited August 2016
    I have larger babies, but I do need c-sections because I have a narrow pubic arch, and they struggle getting through.  I was told I would have a tough time delivering an average size baby, let alone my small giants. If you're really worried, you could ask your OB if they see anything that might be a concern.  But lots of people deliver large babies (like my mom) with no issues, most people's bodies work they way they should, and for those of us that don't, there are luckily medical interventions.