Single Parents

Single now, and pregnant

momof2buggsmomof2buggs member
edited August 2016 in Single Parents
I had a relationship for a year, which was on and off. This past June, I found out I was pregnant. Since then, I'd started noticing that my partner didn't seem very interested in having a baby. I have 3 children already, he has 1. I've known him for a long time, and one of the qualities that I found attractive in him, was how great of a daddy he is to his son. Anyway, long story short, I gave him an ultimatum basically. Get real with me, and let's move in together and have this baby, or get out. He chose the latter.  

Does anyone have anything to offer as far as ideas about how to obtain a child support order? He makes decent money and has had the same job for years. I make less than him, and support my 3 on my income. I have Medicaid for pregnancy, and it is my understanding that any time the mother uses any type of state assistance, the dept of health and welfare will automatically open up a case on her behalf. Is that true, does anyone know? I have an attorney that I used in my last family law dispute, and I can use him again if need be. It's just so expensive. Any information would be appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Single now, and pregnant

• Yes if you receive any public assistance they will go after the father. I got a letter in the mail from friend of the court about 3 weeks or so after I had my daughter. The letter is to list the father and also some info about yourself. It's a pretty lengthy process especially if he asks for a DNA test which will make the entire thing go another 4 weeks or so. I also was told at mediation that the father would be responsible for back pay only from the date they are served court papers. That wasn't actually the case though. Not sure if the mediator didn't know what she was talking about or what. So I originally filed for support in April and he wasn't ordered to start paying until July. Also if he's already paying support for another child, the amount that he pays you will be significantly lower than the amount that he pays for your other child. Subsequent children always get less. It's stupid but that's how it is. Good luck and I'm sorry you are in this situation.