February 2017 Moms

Vaccinations

Does anyone have any info that isn't incredibly biased either way about immunizations/vaccinations? 

I am not anti-shots at all. But I do think it's a bit crazy how aggressively the number of shots required had grown in the last 20-30 years. 

I want to properly educate myself but everything I seem to find online is super biased one way or the other, as this has become a touchy subject as of late. 

Thanks in advance for any info. Personal testimony welcome as well!
Me: 36, H: 37
FTM, 2 Furbabies
married 03/17/07
lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
due: 2/15/17

Re: Vaccinations

• Loading the player...
  • edited August 2016
    The only thing I can think of is to ask for the insert from the box of the actual vaccine. You could cross check that with any double blind control trials, but those can be hard to access in their raw form if you don't have access to a research library. Although I would keep in mind that the insert comes from the pharm company (biased) and the control trials are subject to publication biased (also biased). It's going to be extremely hard to find articles that are unbiased because everyone has an agenda, and a major media cooperation to answer to. One thing I did was went through the entire schedule, and researched each vaccine individually as far as what does it prevent, how does one get this particular diseases, and what are the health concerns if one does contract that particular disease. Most people are all or nothing on vaccines, but selective vaccinating isn't out of the question either if you decide you want some, but not all. Honestly you're going to be better off doing your own raw research, than relying on an article to provide you with an unbiased opinion. Hope that helps, good luck! 
  • :::grabs some popcorn:::
    I was just thinking "and this is where it begins.."
    This is one of the few topics I just sit back and enjoy. 
  • :::grabs some popcorn:::
    I was just thinking "and this is where it begins.."
    This is one of the few topics I just sit back and enjoy. 
    pass the popcorn, please!
  • krobkrob member
    @scottipino I have never seen the meme you are referring to. And it never crossed my mind to think doctors were profiting. I have such high respect and regard for the medical profession. 

My comment was geared more toward Big Pharma and the insurance industry and any other big business that have super powerful lobbyists. Those are the people I don't trust. 

As a similar example all of the lies we have been fed for decades by the food industry due to lobbyist and government influence. It doesn't mean that I don't still eat some things that are bad for me, but at least now I have the personal knowledge to make that decision vs. being sold a bill of goods. 
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
  • don't confuse dogma with scientific facts. 

good advice in a number of areas. 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Just dropped into see if anyone's head has been chewed off, yet. No? Carry on.  

• @krob it took me a while but I finally found the picture!  I do have a great summary table of each vaccine, what the illness is like, and what the source of the illness is.  Happy to take a picture and send it to you if it will help.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @scottipino where did you find this graphic? I find it very hard to believe that BCBS would EVER pay that amount for a bonus.  I've worked with plenty of insurance companies (including BCBS) and have never heard of a $40000 bonus.  Even if it were for a very large practice, the biggest bonus I've seen comes out to about $200- $300 per physician.  

• AfKash said:
    @scottipino where did you find this graphic? I find it very hard to believe that BCBS would EVER pay that amount for a bonus.  I've worked with plenty of insurance companies (including BCBS) and have never heard of a $40000 bonus.  Even if it were for a very large practice, the biggest bonus I've seen comes out to about $200- $300 per physician.  
    That was her point, that they DONT make this type of money from vaccinations 
  • @Gingersnap and @scottipino Ohhhh okay.  Thank goodness! 

• krobkrob member
    @scottipino that meme is ridiculous. I know too many not rich doctors to believe that. LOL

I would love to see your summary table. Information is power!!!!
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
  • I think this is a good summary of what is available, where you contract the infection from, and what are complications of the illness.  

• There's a Rotavirus vaccine again! Hallelujah!  

When my first was born, rotashield had been off the market for several years and there wasn't anything new yet. The whole household had several strains of rotavirus and there's nothing quite as miserable as exploding from both ends, while nursing to keep your baby from getting dehydrated as she does the same. 
  • There's a Rotavirus vaccine again! Hallelujah!  

When my first was born, rotashield had been off the market for several years and there wasn't anything new yet. The whole household had several strains of rotavirus and there's nothing quite as miserable as exploding from both ends, while nursing to keep your baby from getting dehydrated as she does the same. 
    My son received this vaccine. My husband and I both got this illness at the same time and my son was 100% fine. I don't know what we would have done if there were three of us with it. tall about a life saver!!!

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Assuming it's the same in other states, you can go to a clinic and get vaccines for kids for free. 

Pregnancy Ticker