Working Moms

go back to work 2 days a week?

Vik9Vik9 member
edited July 2016 in Working Moms
So i recently graduated form nursing school ( 3 months ago) and have been at home with my almost 10 month old for the past 3 months. I somehow made it through school with a newborn and dont really know what to do at this point. I feel like i need to start working part time to gain some experience in the nursing world but I also feel like my son may not be ready ( i may not be ready?). Its a really hard decision for me i think more so because i dont necessarily have to go back but i feel like i need to start my career and feel guilty about it. My husband thinks i should wait till hes a year old ( im not sure what that will change). I got a good offer that although is almost an hour away from home is only 2 days a week and pays decent for a new grad. Any suggestions or advice? Im worried that I wont find anything if i continue to wait but Im not sure its right to leave my son? My husband would stay with my son one of the days and his aunt (although not my first choice) would stay the other day.

Re: go back to work 2 days a week?

• I guess I don't understand the difference between starting now or in 2 months. I don't think there is such a thing as your baby not being ready for you to go back to work, especially when he will be in the care of your husband (your son's parent) and other family. My baby "had to be" ready at 2 months when I had to go back and he was fine. I think going back PT is a great way to begin your career. You will still get to have so much time with your son, while also getting your career going.
  • Going back to work 2 days a week sounds like the perfect transition back to work post-baby and the beginning to your career. It is a great opportunity even if it isn't quite what you had planned on. Also, you may feel guilty about leaving the baby or going against your husband's opinion, but don't forget about you and what's good for you. :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Vik9Vik9 member
    Going back to work 2 days a week sounds like the perfect transition back to work post-baby and the beginning to your career. It is a great opportunity even if it isn't quite what you had planned on. Also, you may feel guilty about leaving the baby or going against your husband's opinion, but don't forget about you and what's good for you. :) 
    I need to remember to think about myself sometimes. I need to find a way to balance everything. 
  • Vik9 said:
    Going back to work 2 days a week sounds like the perfect transition back to work post-baby and the beginning to your career. It is a great opportunity even if it isn't quite what you had planned on. Also, you may feel guilty about leaving the baby or going against your husband's opinion, but don't forget about you and what's good for you. :) 
    I need to remember to think about myself sometimes. I need to find a way to balance everything. 
    Finding the balance is hard and requires constant rebalancing. Hang in there & best of luck!
  • Lurker here. My husband graduated from nursing school a little over a year ago, and some of his classmates had trouble getting a job after graduation. I remember him saying if they don't work for a year after graduation, some jobs may really frown upon that. I'm not entirely sure the details of it or what not, just thought that might help in your decision.
  • I think working part time is ideal. It's the best of both worlds. The nursing field seems to provide some flexibility. I would give it a try.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    Do it!!! I love being a working mom.