September 2016 Moms

Breastfeeding after C-section

Does anyone have tips/experiences they would care to share on this? How did BFing go for you after c/s?
Did your milk come in or was it delayed?
Were you able to do skin-to-skin and BFing while in the recovery room?
Were you able to handle a cradle hold?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Anniversary       

Re: Breastfeeding after C-section

• I'll pipe up....cradle hold was no problem for me. Except for the fact that I just prefer the football hold because it's easier in my situation. But cradle is definitely doable! The incision should be really low compared to where you'll hold LO. My milk came in after 4 days with O&J and I think the same with R&E. If your milk doesn't come in while you're in the hospital, please ask about SNS (Supplemental Nursing System). I did this with O&J. Basically you use formula in something like a dropper. I hung mine above my head and to the side on my hospital bed to let gravity do its work. A tube runs down from it and you tape it to your breast with the end right at your nipple. When LO starts to feed, they'll get what they need from the tube with the formula but they're also stimulating your body to produce milk. Plus, you're getting that bonding time. And, if you're like me and need nipples shields, SNS works with those as well.

Skin-to-skin & BFing all depends on how everything goes and on your doctor. With R&E, my hands were strapped down to the arm rests. The most I could do was give them a kiss. And they were the two that didn't go to the NICU. No arms strapped down with O&J but they were taken to the NICU so no dice there. As far as the actual recovery room, I fell asleep while being sewn up with R&E so it wasn't until I woke up (about 2 1/2 hours later) that I got to hold them.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• With my LO, he was wrapped up and next to me within minutes of birth. He sucked on my chin and nose as my DH held him up next to me. It was pretty hilarious. We didn't get to do skin to skin in the OR, but we did it within 30 minutes of birth, I would guess. He started to nurse right away. It did take a long time for my milk to come in, (5 days, maybe?) but we ended up supplementing for a few days and then easily dropped that once my milk came in. We just made him nurse first and then he got a few ounces of formula by bottle. It was easy enough to drop the bottle part once my milk was in. 

As far as holds, I almost exclusively used cradle hold with no problems. And I didn't use a nursing pillow or anything--those were just never comfortable for me. But I had no trouble with my incision. 

we went on to have a great nursing relationship for 19 months. ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • I had an emergency c section with my daughter. Didn't get to meet her for almost an hour because of complications. Didn't get to hold her either until I was wheeled into recovery. My milk took 4 days. I would pump and pump colostrum and syringe feed this to her. I breast feed successfully for a year.
  • PSUBecky23PSUBecky23 member
    edited August 2016
    No experience personally but I've had friends with scheduled c-sections get to do it right away after making those wishes known to their doctors and the nurses. At my "baby friendly" hospital, I'm told it's routine for skin-to-skin to happen while mom is being sewn up. Good luck. 
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you for starting this thread. I have also had this concern and am comforted by the responses so far!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I didn't get skin to skin with either of my boys and didn't get to hold them until after I was stitched up.  Milk took a couple of days to come in each time, but I know it was in by the time I left the hospital.  
  • Thanks all! This is very encouraging. I was worried about the cradle hold because that is the only hold I ever liked or used with DD1. Good to know it won't bother my incision.
    Anniversary       

• I had an emergency c-section...I did not get to hold her until I was in recovery (2.5 hours) but then was able to start breastfeeding right away...didn't have any issues and my milk came in no problem
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• 618mom22boys618mom22boys member
    edited August 2016
    My milk hasn't came in yet but I've been nursing since I had her two days ago.   I was also able to do skin to skin while I was being sewn up.  As far as holds one breast I cradle hold the other we do a football hold on,it's just what works for us. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • No experience personally but I've had friends with scheduled c-sections get to do it right away after making those wishes known to their doctors and the nurses. At my "baby friendly" hospital, I'm told it's routine for skin-to-skin to happen while mom is being sewn up. Good luck. 
    I would love it if they let me do this. If not, I think I will have DH hold her skin to skin until we get into recovery. That was something the OB suggested.

Anniversary       

• I should add that since this time is a scheduled c-section, my doctor told me I would get to hold her skin to skin right away instead of waiting like last time

• Last time my daughter was brought to me in recovery, but she had a lot of meconium in her water so skin to skin would have been delayed after she was checked no matter how she were delivered.

I was able to do skin to skin and nurse her for about an hour and my milk came in on my second day in the hospital.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had an emergency c section with my first and didn't get to do skin to skin or try to nurse for about an hour afterwards, but my husband held him while I was being stitched up and wheeled into recovery.  Baby took to nursing right away and my milk came in the 2nd or 3rd day.  We successfully breastfed for 22 months!  Of all the trouble I had with delivery, both during laboring and the c section, the nursing was the one thing that went really well for us and I'm so excited to get to do it again with baby #2.
  • ashtasht member
    I didn't get to see my last child for 3-3.5 hours after birth so she had receive some formula. When I tried nursing I did the football hold but she was pretty little. Not sure how it would work for bigger babies
  • This is helpful to hear people's experiences. My OB said that his standard practice after a CS is for skin to skin and trying to nurse if baby and mom are doing ok. I have a feeling I might be too out of it especially if I need anti nausea medication. I plan to try a modified laid back breastfeeding position with the baby's legs tucked to the same side with some pillows there to support. 
  • No experience personally but I've had friends with scheduled c-sections get to do it right away after making those wishes known to their doctors and the nurses. At my "baby friendly" hospital, I'm told it's routine for skin-to-skin to happen while mom is being sewn up. Good luck. 
    I would love it if they let me do this. If not, I think I will have DH hold her skin to skin until we get into recovery. That was something the OB suggested.

My H did skin to skin while they sewed me up the first time. It was so special for him, he talked about it forever after. Mom is necessarily the focus for pregnancy and delivery and PP skin to skin and breastfeeding, this really made him feel like a big part of it all earlier in the game. Hope your DH gets to do it if you can't!  
  • Woah I just realized I typed that I'd get to hold "her" but we're Team Green! Maybe it's a sign....

• ashtasht member
    Football hold this time around. Also super excited cause so far the boobs are working! I have more colostrum then I ever did with the first
  • I had very limited skin to skin, enough to kiss DS hand have him grab my nose and take a few pictures. Then he was whisked off and I was recovered. I didn't get to hold him for about an hour. I requested as much skin to skin as quickly as possible but my arms were strapped and it just wasn't something this facility was comfortable with. This was a planned c-section.

my milk came in probably day 4 or 5 but I had a reduction and it dissipated pretty quickly. DS became quite jaundiced and had to be readmitted. I was pushed to not supplement by staff and ended up feeling all kinds of guilt.

This time I plan to EP to see if I actually produce enough to sustain DS2 and will not hesitate to give formula. 

BabyFruit Ticker

November Siggy Challenge: Selfie Fails

Hidden for the sake of your eyes!

• @TheTamedShrew Congrats on your gorgeous girl! Eden is perfection. sounds like bf is going well, did you get to nurse soon after? Any issues? I had a crazy dream tonight about bf, apparently I'm worried about it. 
  • A fed baby is the best kind, @SuperFudge00!  

I struggled a lot last time with breast feeding and it didn't work out.

My plan this time is to actually not try as hard. It was too much stress and pressure, too great a sense of failure. If it comes naturally, great. If it doesn't, oh well. 
    Pregnancy Ticker