February 2017 Moms

WWYD?

I have to get progesterone shots weekly from here on out. I was told I can schedule weekly appointments to come in and get the injections or they can send someone to my house to administer them. Going in every week seems like a PITA but having someone comes to my house seems kind of unnecessary. What would you do? Pregnancy has made me so indecisive. 

Re: WWYD?

• In home, FOR SURE! Seems like less of an inconvenience for you and although it may seem "unnecessary" to have someone come to you, you're giving that someone job security! ;)
  • I would do them at home no question. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Is cost a factor? If not I would totally do it at home!
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Hell yeah, make them come to you!

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is there a cost difference? Is the place you need to go close by? If it's about the same cost and the place is a considerable difference I'd probably have someone come just for convenience to me. However if it's way more expensive to have someone come or is like my doctor's office where I can walk there in about 5 minutes from work then I'd probably just make the appointments and go in.

Is there no way you can just do them yourself or have your SO do them for you? I'd find that to be the best solution if it is possible. Idk anything about these shots so I have no clue if that's an option or not.
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• I would go in only because it stresses me out having strangers come to my house because my dogs flip out, lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I work about 1.5 miles from my house and my doctor's office is about 5 miles away but in a direction that I would never go except for the doctors office and traffic can make it 5 minutes or 20 depending on time of day. My understanding is they don't offer the home health nurse option unless it's covered by insurance but I need to double check. I just didn't know if it was wrong to use the home service if I was capable of going into the office.
  • @marriedhamstermom I actually asked because my husband used to work in healthcare and when I've had other injections like Depo he administered them at home. They said no and apparently it's not something pharmacies here carry so I'd have to go into the office to pick up the injection so it's not really worth it at the point to not let them administer it.
  • I would go in only because it stresses me out having strangers come to my house because my dogs flip out, lol
    This, and I would stress about making sure my house is spotless. 
  • cantalopes24cantalopes24 member
    edited August 2016
    My husband does housework and is awesome at it and we had to put our dog to sleep a few months ago so those aren't concerns.
  • How long do you have to do the shots for? If it's well into winter time, I would totes have them come to my home.  I hate driving in the winter. This is Chicago winter, btw. I have no idea where you live.  

• Not sure how queasy you are, but after 5 rounds of IVF, I'm a PIO expert. I did them myself this last round and it's so much easier. And, less painful! The nurses like jab it in there. There are plenty of youtube videos that show you how, my office showed me. If you think you can do it, that's definitely your best bet!  Word of advice, rub the spot after to dispurse and get a heating pad on it daily for 10 minutes. That's for whoever does it :) 
  • @marriedhamstermom I actually asked because my husband used to work in healthcare and when I've had other injections like Depo he administered them at home. They said no and apparently it's not something pharmacies here carry so I'd have to go into the office to pick up the injection so it's not really worth it at the point to not let them administer it.
    I remember in college when you picked up your depo from the pharmacy it came like right in the needle ready to go. So I'd just have my nursing student friends do it! Now it just comes with the solution and you have to go to the doctors. So annoying! Or it would be if I still had nurse friends to do it. And wasn't knocked up. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Why can't you do that shizz yourself?
  • I'm not even halfway through this pregnancy and I'm already dead sick of going in twice a week for appointments, so personally I'd rather stay at home and let them come to me lol. Is it an option to give yourself the shots?
  • yogadevil said:
    I'm not even halfway through this pregnancy and I'm already dead sick of going in twice a week for appointments, so personally I'd rather stay at home and let them come to me lol. Is it an option to give yourself the shots?
    Twice a week??
  • yogadevil said:
    I'm not even halfway through this pregnancy and I'm already dead sick of going in twice a week for appointments, so personally I'd rather stay at home and let them come to me lol. Is it an option to give yourself the shots?
    Twice a week??
    High risk pregnancy, lots of monitoring, and a doctor's office that can't seem to consolidate appts. It's just how the timing has worked out so far and *should* change here shortly
  • Is it an option to go to your dr for them now but change to home visits later in the pregnancy? When it starts to get colder & possible ice & snow & uncomfotably big bump & being more tired etc the home visits could be a lot more appealing than now when its still nice out & you feel good?
  • @PerraSucia they said it's something I can't get from the pharmacy so I'd have to go into the office to pick it up (otherwise the nurse brings them) so I'd be there anyway and they said they generally don't let patients do it themselves regardless I guess for liability? My husband worked in the medical field and I trust him to administer them so I'm hoping I can work something out, maybe pick up a few weeks worth at a time?
  • @cantalopes24 interesting. I just had to do shots for 16 weeks but was able to just have everything shipped at home. The worst part is that sharp disposal is a pain in the butt. We have like 4 places in all of LA county and none of them are close to me. So I've had 128 dirty needles sitting in my garage 
  • @PerraSucia  can't you go to a hospital and ask them to discard the needles for you? 

• @AfKash no I tried as well as two medical facilities.  I got so mad about it I stormed out mid someone trying to tell me how to google to find a place. 
  • That's stupid. I'm sure they didn't let you because of some dumb policy they have in place.  

• @PerraSucia try your local firehouses! Most around here will dispose of them for you if you ask
  • So, @cantalopes24 have you made a decision or still mulling it over? 

• I talked to my husband and I think we're going to do the in home nurse. With the other kids and their activities and school I'm worried about trying to fit in appointments since there's only one person in office who does them so I'd be on her schedule. And like someone pointed out when it's winter we get bad weather and if the office is closed because of it or if I have an appointment and the kids are off school it's going to turn into a PITA. I already have a lot of appointments this pregnancy adding another thing seems overwhelming. I am going to push to do them myself if I can figure out the best way to do it. There are a lot of needle collection places here and weirdly enough our county let's you throw them away in household trash if it's in a metal or plastic container with bleach
  • Totes agree! I think you're making a wise decision, all things considered.  Good luck to you!!