September 2015 Moms
Options

crying so hard LO passes out

Now that LO is more mobile, there's been a lot more falls. She started doing this new thing where if she has a big fall she'll cry so hard she'll forget to breath and actually pass out for a few seconds. It's incredibly scary and has happened about 3 times now. The first time I called and ambulance and went to the e.r and they said she was fine, second and third time I called her doctor and they said not to bring her in since she was acting normal by the time I get through on the phone. The whole ordeal only lasts about 20 seconds but there's nothing scarier than seeing your child go limp in your arms. After I calm her back down she's back to playing normally and never hits her head on the soft spot or hard enough to leave a mark, I think she scares herself more than anything. Does anyone else have experience with this? Her Dr said she'll grow out of it and gave me advice on what to do if she doesn't start breathing again but I've never heard of this before. 

Re: crying so hard LO passes out

• Options
    I don't have any advice but I'm so sorry, that must be terrifying...
  • Options
    That's so scary, I'm sorry it's happening! I wish I had advice for you
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did this as a child. It has a specific name that escapes me right now. My 3 yr old did this once when he was right around a year old. We were on vacation at Disney world. I called an ambulance too. It is a terrifying feeling. My mom and grandmother were both there to reassure me since I did it very frequently as a child. One piece of advice the dr gave me was to blow in his face when he starts to hold his breath. Often times this will remind them to breath. Hopefully this phase passes quickly for you. I am so sorry you are dealing with it. 
  • Options
    My cousin used to purposely hold her breath to make herself pass out as a form of tantruming. It was so scary to my aunt and uncle, and really frustrating because the tantrum obviously worked to some extent, because she got attention. But she grew out of it and she is a totally normal 20 year old. I'm so sorry you're going through this!
  • Options
    @blondehairblueeyeditalianbaby thanks for the tip of blowing in the face. I try to get her to focus on me but her eyes are usually closed and it doesn't work, I'll have to try that. I'm sorry your LO did this too, it's terrifying. @rachelkawesome I hope she doesn't do it long enough to actually do it on purpose! Glad to hear that they eventually grow out of it and are OK though
  • Options
    DD holds her breath until she turns dark red/purple. It's almost like she gets so upset she forgets to breath. She's been doing it since she was a newborn and it was super scary the first couple times, but blowing a puff of air into her face surprises her into taking a breath. 
  • Options
    I agree with the blowing in the face! My LO does that..not to the point of passing out, though! That's so scary and I'm so sorry! We usually have the silent screams :-/
  • Options
    How random my friends 15 month old did this for the first time revel try. He was so upset when someone left, he passed out. He always crys so hard he doesn't breathe for a second but this was new and terrifying. It was over fast but she said his whole body was limp and she was about to dial 911. No advice other than I hope your LO doesn't do it again. I'm sorry you have to go through this. Hugs. 
  • Options
    Whoa.  That's got to be very tough to deal with!  I have never heard of this but my heart goes out to you.
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • Options
    hope your lo grows out of it soon. That must be terrifying. 
  • Options
    My cousin did this as a child and her daughter did it as well. The baby's first episode was around 9 months and I was there... It was terrifying. She outgrew it but I can't remember when. Scary but she was always okay and is now 16!