April 2017 Moms

FFFC

Step right up and spill your deepest and darkest this Flame Free Friday! 

Re: FFFC

• Loading the player...
  • I originally planned to take all day off today to go to my sister's graduation. Through various circumstances (mainly a toddler who wouldn't do well in a 4 hours one way car ride) I am not going which makes me sad BUT I told my coworkers I could only work til one now. Totally going to pick up DS and take him home to nap so I can nap too! Not sorry at all!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @clover28, you are my people.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't like 1st tri sex. I get cramps and then I freak out. 
    DS born 9/13/2012
    BFP#5: 8/21/2016
  • DH brought me donuts this morning at work... he thought there were two left in the bag but there were three.  I ate them all... will probably deeply regret that later, but for now: 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Mine isn't pregnancy related. Yesterday I realized that I just don't really like my BIL. I don't dislike him, but I don't like him. YKWIM? Like, if I weren't married to his brother we would never interact ever. Also I hate his girlfriend's politics. Cannot stand them. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• I have already gained so much weight this pregnancy :( I promised myself I'd be better this time around. But the carbs and sugar are all I want!!!!
  • STM2017 said:
    I have already gained so much weight this pregnancy :( I promised myself I'd be better this time around. But the carbs and sugar are all I want!!!!
    This. Carbs are my friend right now. The only things that sound remotely appetizing are filled with carbs (and sugar). 
  • edited August 2016
    People using the first trimester genetic screening for no reason other than to find out the sex really irritate me. Like, if you don't need the testing, you're jumping in line ahead of people who actually DO need it, so their wait time is longer. Some insurances aren't paying for them anymore (or aren't paying as much for them anymore), so even though you're cool with shelling out a couple hundred bucks to find out the sex for funsies, you're driving the price up for other people who may not be able to afford it so easily and actually need it.

Okay, end rant.
    I don't see anything wrong with an adult using their own money to do genetic screening. Just because someone is considered "low risk" doesn't give you the right to judge them for taking the test. You can still have a child with chromosomal abnormalities even if you don't have risk factors. And so what if they want to find out the sex early? That is their prerogative. 

I don't see how MORE people getting tested drives up the price. The more common these tests become, the less expensive they will become. As more and more people begin requesting genetic testing, more companies will pop up and offer better competitive pricing. The company by OB's office is recommending now is totally different from when I had the testing done with my son in 2014. These companies charge your insurance thousands of dollars to take the test, if your insurance denies the claim, then you are only charged a few hundred dollars. 

We did genetic screening with my son and we will do it again this pregnancy. 
    I don't think you got the point of "Flame Free" confession, but thanks.

As someone who had to wait weeks to get critical information for the health of my child while people were bragging about taking the test just to find out the sex, I'm allowed to be annoyed at those who clog up the queue because they're too impatient to wait a few more weeks.

Edited for spelling.
  • catem07 said:
    Mine isn't pregnancy related. Yesterday I realized that I just don't really like my BIL. I don't dislike him, but I don't like him. YKWIM? Like, if I weren't married to his brother we would never interact ever. Also I hate his girlfriend's politics. Cannot stand them. 
    I really don't care for my one Bil either. And he always wants to travel with us and I'm like NO! I can barely get through dinners with him. He's not mean. He just is so negative and also very cheap. 

And also,
    @SnarkasaurusRex we all know it's called flame-free but anyone on the bump generally knows the standard "not always flame-free" tag line. Not saying whether I agree or disagree. Just saying it's going to happen.  And that definitely wasn't a flaming. 
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • edited August 2016

As someone who had to wait weeks to get critical information for the health of my child while people were bragging about taking the test just to find out the sex, I'm allowed to be annoyed at those who clog up the queue because they're too impatient to wait a few more weeks.

Edited for spelling.
    Oh we all know that FFFC is never truly "Flame Free" ;) 

Plus.... are you thinking that the labs are only working on pregnancy genetic test only.... You need to be upset with every person that is getting blood drawn for anything, to clog up the system.... There may be some labs that ONLY do pregnancy related genetic testing... but I would assume most of them do more than that.... Waiting sucks... but that's not a reason to say someone else doesn't have the same right as you to take the test...
    Except I didn't say that they don't have the right to. I just said it was annoying.

And immediately telling someone (essentially), 'shame on you for feeling the way you do' is basically a flame. I've been on TB long enough to know the FFFC isn't truly flame free, but that still irked me.

ETA that, for me at least, it does go to a separate lab for pregnancy related testing, or at least a separate 'pregnancy' branch of a bigger lab that does genetic testing. I know that's not the same for everyone, though.
  • My confession is I got totally lazy today and drove my truck down to the bottom of my driveway to pick up my son from the bus stop.  Now in my defense it is an extremely long driveway that is a fairly steep hill.  But this is the first week of school and I totally planned on using it as part of my exercise routine.  But it was so hot this morning it took me like an hour after I came back up to not feel like I was on fire anymore...so I drove down and back up to pick my DS up after school today.
    Married: 9/19/09
    DS 1: 10/17/10
    DS 2: 6/30/13
    MMC found 4/2/16   D&C 4/4/16 & 4/10/16
     Cautiously expecting.....EDD 4/1/17
  •  

Edited for spelling.
    Oh we all know that FFFC is never truly "Flame Free" ;) 

Plus.... are you thinking that the labs are only working on pregnancy genetic test only.... You need to be upset with every person that is getting blood drawn for anything, to clog up the system.... There may be some labs that ONLY do pregnancy related genetic testing... but I would assume most of them do more than that.... Waiting sucks... but that's not a reason to say someone else doesn't have the same right as you to take the test...
    Except I didn't say that they don't have the right to. I just said it was annoying.

And immediately telling someone (essentially), 'shame on you for feeling the way you do' is basically a flame. I've been on TB long enough to know the FFFC isn't truly flame free, but that still irked me.

ETA that, for me at least, it does go to a separate lab for pregnancy related testing, or at least a separate 'pregnancy' branch of a bigger lab that does genetic testing. I know that's not the same for everyone, though.
    So it is annoying to you that other people who you believe aren't taking the test for the right reasons or may not be deemed high risk enough take the same genetic testing as you? 

You should be annoyed at the lab who took your test, not at other families who found out they are having healthy babies. Genetic testing usually takes at least a week to get the results. Those families had to wait to find out their results too. I have had to redo labs too, but I don't put the blame on the other people getting labs done. It was the company's fault for screwing up. 
  • Maybe not completely fffc worthy, but one of the kids at my job asked if I had a baby in my tummy. Knee jerk answer in .5 milliseconds "no". 
    Not that I'm pregnant enough to tell the world or a five year old, but I feel bad for denying that I am pregnant. I have always felt like it's bad luck to deny it.
    imagelogan and ruthieLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @elplocho I also feel bad for denying that I'm pregnant as well! Its a guilt thing. Like I've wanted and wished for this baby and now its here and I'm denying it...  :|
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • Who are these people going around and asking that question? 

We women should come up with a response to that question that goes for whether you are or are not. That way, if you are you aren't lying/denying.

My personal opinion is that the answer should 100% of the time be, "That is none of your business". What do you guys think? 
    I agree with you, if only I was that confident.  I'm pretty sure I just awkwardly smile and usually admit.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

• JaneArsonJaneArson member
    edited August 2016
    @leslieknope I've asked two of the moms I know at work who their OB/midwife is because I like getting recs from cool ladies that I know (and I'm switching from a midwife group that didn't work for me last time) ... and both asked me if I was pregnant.  Whyyyyyyyy??? Like, I know that they know because I'm asking them but don't actually ASK me.  

Edited for grammar.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• babymama619babymama619 member
    edited August 2016
    I stopped at Burger King and got a fried chicken sandwich one the way home....then still ate a snack at home. 

• edited August 2016
    Y'all. I'm not passing judgement on anyone who chooses to do genetic testing, whether out of necessity or for funsies. I just expressed my annoyance at my personal experience with it. I can be annoyed about it without thinking people are terrible and/or selfish for doing it and being judge-y, which I feel like some of y'all are taking it.

Seriously, you do you.

Edited for spelling.
  • I stopped at Niger King and got a fried chicken sandwich one the way home....then still ate a snack at home. 

• Omg y'all, my eyebrows about shot off my head when I read @babymama619's post. Autocorrect fail. 
  • @STM2017 that's honestly how I tried to feel about it but @KirstinH88 hit the nail on the head. 

No one has asked today thankfully, but my pregnancy paranoia is sure everyone knows. Lol
    imagelogan and ruthieLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My food delivery is 20 minutes late. It's my birthday. And I'm starving. They better get here soon or they're going to have a very hangry, pregnant lady on the phone giving them a piece of my mind!