January 2017 Moms
Options

Section scheduled

So this will be my 3rd section.  My first 2 were 17 months apart.  With my second the dr told me that my uterus was transparent (window in my uterus) and that I should wait to get pregnant again and only one more baby.  So we got cleared before we tried and now I'm 18 weeks with #3.  :)  Today he said we would do the section for Jan 12 (38 weeks) but that the hospital/high risk dr may force him to go as early as 36 weeks, but he prefers not to and we'll just have to see how things go.  Which I'm not thrilled about at all.(I don't want to go earlier than 38)  ANyone have any experience with this? delivery or section that early? window in uterus? 3 sections? any of that?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Section scheduled

• Options

The only experience I have is a baby at 37 weeks. I went in to labor and my water broke with him, he was just early. My dates were pretty solid and he had been measuring right on the whole time so very confident he just wanted to be here early. We did end up staying in the nicu with him due to hyperbillirubin (jaundice) which is more common in babies born early (but still common with baby's that go full term). He had a few other complications that are more prevalent among babies born early but nothing major and nothing that doesn't happen to full term babies. I hope you are able to make it to 38 weeks but it sounds like you have your own risks to consider too so hopefully everything aligns.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Also, if you don't get much response here, check out the STM+ thread. There are a lot of STM's that follow that thread and would probably be able to share some of their experiences.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @laujam31
    I don't have previous experience but if I decide to just go for another section, this will be my third. 

Inam also high risk (for a different reason) and my doctor said that if I have complications from it they may decide to take him as early as 34 weeks. Which terrifies me. 

I hope some fellow mommas have some previous experience on this for you! Hope everything goes well! 

I I would also be curious if anyone has had more than 3 sections?
    Baby Boy 3 is on the way! 
    Due 1/21/17
  • Options
    Do you mean cesarean section? Just want to be clear. Also, 37 weeks is considered term, so I think if you doctor finds it medically necessary to go at 36 weeks I probably wouldn't be overly worried. It sounds like it is the best option for your health and a safe delivery.

1st BFP 12/12/13 DS born 8/2014
    TFAS March 2016 - BFP 5/19/16!!! EDD: 1/31/17
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    No personal experience, but I have friend who recently had her baby at just over 36 weeks (her water broke and she had to be induced).  He is on the slightly smaller side but perfectly healthy and required no NICU time.  They were discharged in 2 or 3 days.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think 39 weeks is actually considered full term now. I had a 36 weeker and he did well besides some breathing difficulties initially and trouble regulating his temp. He's 17 months now and you'd never know he was premature! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

DD: 10.9.13 [38+4] - EDD 10/19/13
    DS1: 3.18.15 [36+0] - EDD 04/15/15
    DS2: EDD: 1.19.17

• Options
    @eisg918 March of Dimes has made a big push to say 39 weeks is full term but most doctors are still considering 37 weeks fully cooked. 

OP the good news is that you know ahead of time that your baby may need to come sooner than ideal so you'll likely get some steriod shots to help with things like lung development and reduce NICU time. 
  • Options
    colleenkevincolleenkevin member
    edited August 2016
    It's not just March of Dimes.  ACOG redefined "Term Pregnancy" to start at 39 weeks - the standard of care should be for doctors to not consider 37 weeks fully baked.  37 weeks to 38 weeks 6 days is considered "Early Term".  All this really means, though, is that the official recommendation is that intentional early term deliveries should be medically indicated, which is definitely the case with you OP.  

My nephew was born by c-section at 38 weeks for medical reasons with no complications and my best friend was told not to get pregnant again after her 3rd because of how thin her uterus is.  I wish I had better experience to share, but I agree with PP that you're in a good position being able to plan in advance and push lung development along.  My thoughts will be with you!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Thanks ladies!  You know how you can be so tunnel vision about minute details during your pregnancy, I feel like I'm going to be so centered on this now.  I'm concerned about nursing if the baby is in the NICU granted I can absolutely pump but I was lucky enough to do skin to skin with both boys right as they came out.  The idea of not nursing makes me so sad.  And clearly I'd be concerned for her lungs and any complications.  And also potentially having a baby in nicu and not being able to drive and having a 2 and 3 year old at home.  I know it's all so far away but these are the scenarios racing around my head.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My OB once said to me that some babies come at 37 weeks and do just fine and some need NICU help, but at the same time some babies come at 40-42 weeks and do just fine while some need help too. The good news is definitely that you and your doctor sound like you have a solid plan in place.
    I don't have any experience myself but I do know a couple moms who were able to nurse successfully after short NICU stays!