January 2016 Moms

My Nips hate me

TMI ALERT

I'm EBF, with the exception of baby food on the rare occasions. DD is 7.5 months old. But lately my nipples are crazy painful. Like when she was brand new and learning to eat painful. I'm not engorged, no mastitis, and not thrush either. She doesn't have teeth and isn't gnawing on me. They aren't chapped, cracked, or any other weirdness going on. Just painful when she eats. When I asked her Doctor today he was pretty clueless too. So?  Any thoughts?  Suggestions to ease the pain?  

Re: My Nips hate me

• mestokesmestokes member
    edited August 2016
    LO is 7 months and is EBF also. I've recently been having issues with sore nipples as well - mainly on one side. I know you said you don't have any cracks or chapping, but could you possibly have milk blisters? I'd never heard of them but have 2 right now and it hurts so badly when I nurse my little guy. He's also terrible about turning his head when something catches his attention while nursing and bringing my nipple with him - not a good feeling!! Hope you figure it out soon! I've been using medela tender care lanolin between nursing sessions and it seems to help some.
  • I don't know if this is possible in your case, but friends have told me nursing became very uncomfortable when they got pregnant with their next kids, which I guess makes sense when I remember how sensitive my nipples were in early pregnancy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • mamadcb said:
    I don't know if this is possible in your case, but friends have told me nursing became very uncomfortable when they got pregnant with their next kids, which I guess makes sense when I remember how sensitive my nipples were in early pregnancy. 
    This. My nipples are SO sensitive now that I'm pregnant again.
  • Mine are super sore now, especially when I pump.  Not sure what's going on, but I'm 99.9% sure I'm not pregnant.
  • Mine get really sore a week or two before my period now that it's back! They hurt so bad I can barely dry my boobs off after a shower lol 
  • Thanks ladies!  I don't see any blisters but will try the lanolin. I'm hoping it's as simple as just being the distracted eater.
    @mamadcb I hope you're trying to scare me with that pregnancy talk. The thought of another baby right now is too much to handle. 
    I still haven't gotten my period back yet. Maybe my body is trying to. 
  • l4rkl4rk member
    I'm in the same boat. No idea why. I just figure the nips are getting chapped from body changes, just general long term "wear and tear", or something subtle I can't notice like slightly stronger suction power. Regardless, not much I can do other than apply copious amounts of nipple cream and take it one day at a time.