April 2016 Moms

Homemade formula

I'm considering making my own baby formula. Right now I'm EPing and struggling to keep up with lo. At first, it will just be for supplementing when needed.

Have you ever tried making formula? Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

DD has a Dr appointment tomorrow, so will discuss with her Pedi. 

Re: Homemade formula

• Wow, I didn't even know one could make their own formula. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It is not recommended. Plus, unless some sort of serious allergy or other health reason, why though? 

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/homemadebabyinfantformula.htm
  • Loading the player...
  • yodiggity said:
    It is not recommended. Plus, unless some sort of serious allergy or other health reason, why though? 

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/homemadebabyinfantformula.htm
    Thank you for the article. 

She has no allergies that I know of. My DD1 had terrible allergies though. So I guess I'm a little paranoid.
  • I know my opinion isn't going to sway you one way or the other, but I would be very cautious about that. Companies work tirelessly to meet FDA requirements to ensure formula is as safe as possible for babies, so I would be very cautious about trying to simulate something that has bee perfected over yeeeeears of testing and research.
    In the end, you're the Mom so what you say goes but if it were me, I'd be too scared to do it.
  • Please don't make your own formula. Formula companies are required to perform extensive testing and must meet specific nutritional requirements. If your LO does have allergies, there are many options out there and your doctor can help recommend the right one. Making your own is unnecessary and potentially very dangerous.
  • Agree with previous two posts. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There are SO many strains of bacteria that our gut fights off on a regular basis, you'd probably be appalled to find out what's in your own kitchen. I'm sure you're a very clean person and that you'd follow the most rigorous of precautions when it came to the preparation of formula - but you just can't guarantee that nothing would make it into your baby's stomach. Generics of the name brands are very inexpensive if it's a cost concern, and WIC can help if needed. Pediatricians also provide samples.

If it's the attachment, feeling a loss of doing something deeply person for your infant when you stop BFing, maybe start looking up amazing baby food recipes instead for the future?
  • Would you consider obtaining donor milk? I would not recommend making your own formula. There are a bunch of awesome recipes for making your own baby cereals and purées when the time comes, but there are so many components that go into making a formula that after you assimilated all the myriad of ingredients it wouldn't be worth it. If it is more a question of not trusting the formula companies I completely understand where you're coming from, but there are several options available from specialty and health food stores which would suit your individual needs better. Something I've recently realized about formula that made me distrust it initially was the bajillion ingredients in it, but they are added because breast milk has more components in it than we've been able to label as of right now. So the excess ingredients are mimicking breast milk which is not a bad thing. 

(Sorry if it comes across like I'm rambling. I've had a long day and I'm tired but wanted to share my thoughts anyway, as someone who is 1000% pro breastfeeding I still wouldn't make formula over buying it)
  • I would also caution against making your own formula.  I'm a hyper-germaphobe and I would go crazy trying to make sure that what I was making was safe plus had the right amount of nutrients.  I know we see so much about how formula companies are evil and manipulative and all that, and while I'm sure there are reasons for us to not trust formula companies (marketing practices, etc), I still trust that they do everything they can to follow FDA regulations regarding the safety of their product. 

I formula feed my twins so I know that it can be expensive, but the generic brands are just as good as the name brands (we checked with our pediatrician) and I would ask if you can get samples from your pediatrician if you don't qualify for WIC.  Our pediatrician gives us 6 sample cans every visit, which helps!  Sign up on the company website for the $5 checks so you get them sent to your house, and if you're on any mom facebook groups, I see a lot of trading of these checks (swapping Similac checks for Enfamil checks or vice versa) or people who will just send them to you because they don't need them! 

Good luck!