February 2017 Moms

Working Mom Breakfast Tips

I hope its okay to dedicate a thread to this. I thought it would be nice to toss around some breakfast tips for those of us on the go in the morning (read:all of us). 

Specifically for me I am looking for smoothie tips. What do you find you can make ahead and what doesn't turn out well? I can start the ball rolling with this yummy over-night oats recipe. 

https://www.oatmealwithafork.com/peanut-butter-cookie-dough-overnight-oats-dairy-free/

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Working Mom Breakfast Tips

• My husband and I eat this smoothie in the mornings. We started it when doing the 21 Day Fix and it's pretty filling:

2 cups spinach
    1 cup water
    -----blend
    1 banana
    1/2 mixed fruit
    1 cup greek yogurt
    1 tbsp agave nectar
    1 dash vanilla
    -----blend
    YUM.

Mama to Mason (7) and Asher the Crasher (3).
    Married to Topher (10 years). 32 years young in Oklahoma.

• I've made these before with pretty good success.  I've never tried to freeze them though, so I can't vouch for that part.

https://www.theyummylife.com/Oatmeal_Smoothies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm also on the smoothie train. I don't really measure but it's somewhat of the following (designed to be higher in good fats/Omegas and low carb). I drink it in the car on the way to work and it keeps me full. Bonus is the toddler loves it as well.Sometimes I'll sub the berries for a banana and add some coco powder.

• 1 serving protein powder
    • 2 TBS Ground Flax
    • 1 TBS Raw Almond Butter
    • 2 TBS Raw Coconut Butter
    • 1 Cup Almond Milk
    • 1/2 Cup Berries
    • 1/2 Cup Spinach
    • Ice

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have made breakfast sandwiches previously, which are very nice!

I like a hearty breakfast, so I usually do an English muffin, a fried/hard cooked egg, a bit of soft cheese spread (since we can't have that, sliced cheese would work) and a slice of ham. I top it with whatever veggie I have - sometimes spinach, sometimes peppers and onions.

You wrap the whole shooting match in cling wrap, and they will easily last 3+ days in the fridge.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • @BumpasaurusRex OMG this looks amazingggggg. And I know my fiancé would love their peach one too. That'd be so comforting on a cool fall morning!

As far as smoothies go- to make them quicker in the morning try preparing servings in Ziploc baggies. Put all your fruit (and some veggies that freeze okay) in Ziploc bags separated into servings and freeze them. When you make them in the morning, grab a bag, add the veggies you didn't freeze along with your milk and/or yogurt and blend! Also, this cuts down on having to use ice (if you're so inclined) because the frozen fruit will work just as well!

• edited August 2016
    Another thing I like to do is make egg muffins.  I'll use 8-10 eggs, milk, salt, pepper, cheese, and some veggies and then bake the mixture in a cupcake/muffin tin.  When they are cool, I'll freeze them so in the morning, I can throw some bread in the toaster, pop an egg muffin in the microwave, and slap it together with a slice of cheese and I'm good to go.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • @BumpasaurusRex I love those egg muffins! I've never tried freezing them?! This is brilliant!
    How long do you microwave them for?

• For me, I tend to not like the texture of the eggs when they are heated up in the microwave.  However, throwing them in the toaster oven for a few minutes doesn't change the texture for me and I enjoy them much more.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • I just dip apples in sunbutter or eat cereal. 
  • When I make muffins I make 2 pans and put whatever's left in the freezer.  Microwave for a bit and they're good to go.

This past weekend I made breakfast burritos for DH.  I made SEC and BEC with a cheese sauce I made from allrecipes since the eggs need the extra moisture when you microwave them.  If you like veggies you can put them in too.

2 Weekends ago I made a double batch of cheese blintzes and froze them and they've worked out better than I would have expected.

• For smoothies I bag all the frozen ingredients in small baggies and scoop the dry ingredients and store those in baggies and I use 8oz of cold black coffee as the base. 

I also make scrambled egg muffin things which is basically just eggs scrambled with milk, salt, pepper, spinach, crumbled bacon and cheese baked in a mini muffin pans. I can't reheat any other kind of eggs. I also hard boil a dozen eggs at a time but my husband and daughter eat them too. I eat a lot of bagels and fruit and yesterday I ate a frozen steak and cheese chimichanga I stole from my dad. If I didn't have an ultrasound at 10 I would have done the same today but I was afraid of all that pushing on my abdomen lol.
  • Also I eat dinner leftovers for breakfast a lot. We had left over london broil so I cooked one egg and threw that on top of it the other morning. 
  • @BumpasaurusRex I love those egg muffins! I've never tried freezing them?! This is brilliant!
    How long do you microwave them for?

It's usually just about 30 seconds so not long at all.  I will agree with others that they tend to be a bit dry after you microwave them but it's not too bad.  

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • @BumpasaurusRex have a tried putting a damp paper towel in the microwave with them?  It can help rehydrate them some.

• @BumpasaurusRex have a tried putting a damp paper towel in the microwave with them?  It can help rehydrate them some.
    I never even thought of that, thanks for the tip!

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Now I'm spiraling on breakfast ideas.  These breakfast quesadillas look amazing and super easy.  I've also seen one using bananas and Nutella.

https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2012/06/peanut-butter-strawberry-banana-quesadillas/

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • And...now I want waffles covered in fresh fruit......
    I typically wing it when I make my smoothies. I don't measure out anything, I just toss in whatever fruit I want, add a handful of baby spinach leaves, and sometimes a yogurt or even some OJ or other juice. It USUALLY comes out good, I have had a few icky concoctions, but I am generally good at combining ingredients for nice flavor. It doesn't always look tasty, but I don't let the looks or weird color fool me. I always add spinach leaves since getting pregnant for that boost of iron and folic acid.
    I haven't been in smoothie mode much lately, so I usually have a nice yogurt for breakfast or oatmeal and a fresh fruit.    
  • Has anyone tried freezing pancakes? I read about it on a blog but I'm just wondering if the texture is still ok after freezing and reheating? 
  • Has anyone tried freezing pancakes? I read about it on a blog but I'm just wondering if the texture is still ok after freezing and reheating? 
    Yup!  I usually make a big batch and freeze the leftovers.  30 seconds in the microwave and you're good.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Oh, darn. We don't have a microwave. I wonder if I could pop them in the oven for a bit?
  • @WinchesterGirl I put them in the toaster or toaster oven. I freeze pancakes, waffles, and french toast. 
  • When you freeze pancakes, waffles, french toast, etc make sure to put parchment paper between each piece or lay them flat on a pan in the freezer for 30 mins to an hour before bagging them otherwise you won't be able to pull out just 1 or 2.  The whole stack will freeze together into one big mass. (speaking from experience)

• I make frittata for fast breakfasts. My recipe is a lot like this - https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/ultimate-easy-frittata-recipe-article  but I tend to add whatever combination of meat, cheese and veggies I feel like. 

If I'm feeling particularly indulgent, I use half and half or cream instead of the milk. Wedges are good cold, room temp or reheated. 
  • edited August 2016
    When you freeze pancakes, waffles, french toast, etc make sure to put parchment paper between each piece or lay them flat on a pan in the freezer for 30 mins to an hour before bagging them otherwise you won't be able to pull out just 1 or 2.  The whole stack will freeze together into one big mass. (speaking from experience)
    Oh my gosh, this is amazing advice!

Not that that's ever happened to me.......

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • @BumpasaurusRex I'm glad I'm not the only one that's had that happen!  It was a serious duh moment when I first found the tip about freezing flat or using parchment paper because it completely makes sense, but I had never thought of it.

• I let my pancakes/waffles/french toast cool off on a paper towel for about an hour and I've never had them stick to each other. 
  • My go to has been granola and yogurt or a bowl ic cereal. Terrible, I know. I need more protein but my lunch is so early it doesn't seem to matter. 

Mom of one adorable little boy and excited to do this again.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Bump for front page cleanliness

• I'm so bad about getting up in enough time in the morning. I just have stuff that's quick and easy to eat in the car or at my desk.
    Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm considering making up a batch of freezer breakfast options.

So far on my list I've got: 
    English muffin egg sandwiches
    Pancakes
    Breakfast cookie dough
  • I'm considering making up a batch of freezer breakfast options.

So far on my list I've got: 
    English muffin egg sandwiches
    Pancakes
    Breakfast cookie dough
    I'm intrigued by this breakfast cookie dough.
    After getting kids fed and lunches made, I don't have time to eat before I go to work. I usually bring oatmeal or some sort of a breakfast sandwich to heat up and eat at my desk.
    There is this stuff called Kodiak cakes oatmeal unleashed and it is my favorite but they don't carry it in any stores near me now!
    Married 5/29/09
    DS 8/10/2010 8lbs 6oz
    DD 11/28/2012 8lbs 7oz
    It's a Girl! Due 2/5/2017
  • edited September 2016
    I'll dig out the recipe card... They are extremely tasty, have a small amount of sugar, and have lots of healthy boosters - oats, nut butter, flax seeds, etc. It's still a cookie, but I feel it's healthy enough to eat for breakfast.

ETA Recipe:

1 c. Peanut Butter (or your chosen alternative)
    1/2 c. Brown sugar
    4 T butter (or coconut oil)
    2 eggs
    1 t. Baking soda
    4 T flax seeds (whole or slightly ground)
    1 1/2 c. Quick oats
    1 c. Flour
    1/2 c. Mini chocolate chips

Optional: You can substitute Cocoa nibs for chocolate chips, if you'd like to lower the sugar further and don't mind a more bittersweet flavor and nutty texture.

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350. Cream Butter, peanut butter, & brown sugar until the color of the butter lightens and it climbs up the bowl. Scrape down, add eggs and cream again. Scrape down again, and add all remaining ingredients. Mix just until combined.

Use a scoop to portion out about 1 inch apart & press tops down slightly to flatten.*  Bake 9 minutes, and let cool before enjoying. This dough has just enough flour to hold together; cookies will fall apart if you eat them warm.

*If freezing, do this on parchment lined sheet trays, and freeze. Once solid, transfer to ziploc. To bake from frozen, bake 12-13 minutes.