Baby Names

Family name, too confusing?

I'm not currently pregnant but it's only a matter of time until we try again. My husbands grandmas name is Nina but they pronounce it 'nine-nah'. If we ever had a girl, I would want it pronounced 'ne-nah'. I wouldn't want to offend or have EVERYONE say it wrong her whole life. Skip the name?? Would it still be honoring her if it's not pronounced the same?? MN it? Just curious. It was just a thought. 

Re: Family name, too confusing?

• I think that it still honoring grandmother if you pronounce the name differently
  • I think (nee-nah) is the common pronunciation of that name, so it wouldn't be EVERYONE who would say it wrong... maybe just people in his family. And I'm sure they would catch on. I love using names from older generations, and I think it's a great tribute!
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't use it if I weren't using the same pronunciation. Mn may be good compromise.
  • I know a Nine-ah. I think it's a pretty use of the name, but yes, the child will probably be correcting people her whole life, and nobody knows that better than the grandmother! Ask her what she thinks of Nee-na. If all else fails, MN (nine-ah) would be a good compromise. 
    The McC 3 - DH, (38) Me, (34) and DS (3)
    A.J.M. - Born 6/11/13 after 17 BFNs including 1 failed IUI.
    Maybe Baby #2 - Started TTC Feb 2015. Called it quits after 29 cycles. 
  • As a non family member nine-ah is way more confusing and not the first way I would pronounce it. In some ways it would be easier to explain to family than every person you meet for the rest of your life. 
  • I've only ever seen Nina pronounced Nee-nah so I doubt most people would pronounce it Ny-nah, other than your family who would figure it out quite quickly so it would then be a non-issue. I think it still is honoring her but you might want to ask what your family thinks of it being pronounced differently. You could always say that you're pronouncing it differently to avoid confusion between the 2 of them. :)
  • I completely agree with PPs that it could be a middle name as a good compromise :) It would still be a good way to honor her. That is what I am doing in regards to my grandmother.
  • I think it depends a bit on your husband's family, honestly.  If they are a snarky bunch and are going to be obnoxious about the different pronunciation, or bring it up every time, I would skip it or middle name it.  If they are likely to just accept that the pronunciation is different, than go for it.  They should, in that case, figure it out before your daughter will even be old enough to figure out they were pronouncing her name differently.
  • I know a Nine-nah. She told me her name and that was that. I personally think if you are going to honor someone then it would be pronounced the same way. 

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • LoveLee85LoveLee85 member
    edited August 2016
    I agree with all theses comments, but honeslty I'm not a 'nine-nah' fan. Maybe just MN it or skip it all together?? 

Eta: see what everyone means, even different opinions. Lol I 'get' all of them. Hmm.