September 2016 Moms

Stripping of the membranes and dialation?

How many ladies have had their membranes stripped? How long did it take for labor to start???? Anyone dilated yet????

I had my membranes stripped today and I'm at 3cm. :) bring it on! 

Re: Stripping of the membranes and dialation?

• With my first, I had my membranes stripped 2 days after my due date, and I went into labor the next day (baby born the day after that). With my last one, I had it done at my appointment a couple days before my due date (I think) and he was born on his due date. I was only at 1 cm both times.
  • I mean zero judgment with this question (just curiosity) but is it normal for OBs to do this before 40 weeks? My doctor hasn't mentioned anything about it one way or the other. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • @PJpeppercorn I think it just depends on the doctor. There's not a lot of evidence that it starts labor, but it can sometimes jump start things (if on or past the due date, about 1/4 of women go into labor after having it done). Here's an article on it: https://www.healthline.com/health/pregnancy/membrane-stripping#3
  • Ampip2270Ampip2270 member
    edited August 2016
    I had mine stripped today too. I'm 39+1 today. Been crampy all evening and extremely exhausted. I'm also 3cm already. I had it done with DS1 at 40+2 and ended up being induced at 40+5 but I was 4cm and 100% effaced when I checked in for that induction. 
    ETA: I lost my plug this evening too. 
  • Thanks-- I've heard of it-- but I guess I thought it was something only to do once you were overdue. I'm almost 39 weeks so I'm intrigued! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My sister and a friend both had theirs stripped 3 times and nothing happened... I personally refused checks and sweeps last pregnancy and want to again this pregnancy! Everybody different!
  • I was checked on Monday at 38+1 and I was 1 cm and 50% thinned...no talk about stripping membranes yet. Hoping my body is starting to make progress for a successful vbac!
  • With my first, I had them stripped at 40w 4d and had my baby the next day, and then with my other two I had them stripped at 39w and had both babies the next day also. With all three I was 100% effaced and 1-2cm dilated.

I'm a firm believer that it works for me.

Baby 1 - 10/2010 | Baby 2 - 8/2012 | Baby 3 - 6/2014 | Baby 4 - EDD 8/2016 - MC 12-27-2015 | Baby 5 - : 9/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For the ladies that it worked for, were you already dilated a bit and thinned out?
  • I was dilated to about a 3 on my induction day, and dr swept membranes at the hospital a couple hours before starting pitocin. I was in labor before they started the pitocin! So it worked almost immediately for me--maybe I was already starting the process?
  • I was Fort Knox at my 38 week check. Gonna ask them to do it at 39 weeks....