September 2016 Moms

Group B Strep

Sorry if this is a repeat thread, I'm mobile bumping. My Group B swab came back positive and I'm freaking out a little. I feel like crying. Anyone have any experience with this??
FORMER USERNAME: @runningisrad

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Group B Strep

• No experience, and I don't have my result yet, but my OB told me that I shouldn't worry if it comes back positive.  Something like 25% of the population has GBS.  It's not something you necessarily caught while pregnant, and it really is only an issue if they don't catch it - and even then, it's not 100% to cause issues at birth.  I was told if it's positive, they'll have to give me IV antibiotics during labor, but otherwise everything should go just as it would have.  BTDT moms, please correct me if I'm wrong, though!
  • Nothing worth worrying about at all! I was positive with my first. OB wasn't the least bit concerned. If I recall right, most women go back and forth between being positive and negative throughout life. The only thing it changed was that I went in as soon as my water broke (honestly would have wanted to do that anyway), and I had one round of antibiotics. DD and I were fine and healthy through it all.

• Loading the player...
  • Mine is positive too,  my OB said that it's nothing you did it's a normal skin thing.
    As long as you get the anti biotics the baby will be fine and even if you don't the baby will be fine they just need to monitor them a bit longer. (Like 12 hours longer my OB said)
    Don't fret too much <3 I know I was a little upset but it really isn't bad.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you ladies. I googled group b and all the bad things that can happen (bad idea) so now I'm sobbing and freaking out. I'm terrified that he's going to get it and get sick. 

• @runningisrad Never google! Someone a while back posted the statistics of passing it to baby. As long as you get the antibiotics the chances of him getting it are very, very slim. And it's pretty low even if you would, for some reason, not get a chance to get them.

• GBS is nothing to worry about. They will give you antibiotics during birth to prevent anything from happening to baby. Newborn infection from GBS+ mom is rare to begin with and almost nonexistent when antibiotics are given.
  • I was GBS+ with my second. I just went in as soon as my water broke and they started IV antibiotics. It was no big deal at all. Both me and my daughter were/are happy and healthy.
    bfp: 09.22.10   m/c 11.05.10 @ 10w5d
    bfp: 10.02.12  m/c 11.05.12 @ 9w3d
    bfp: 05.15.15  m/c 06.25.15 @ 9w6d
    bfp: 09.22.15  m/c 10.20.15 @ 8w1d

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I agree with all these other ladies--I was positive with DS1 and the doctor said it's just something that comes and goes throughout a person's lifetime. I am positive again with DS2. All I did was get some antibiotics during labor and it was really not a huge deal. Chances of passing it to baby are very slim, especially if you get the antibiotics. You and baby might get a little more monitoring, but I wouldn't freak out about it! And definitely don't Google! Haha... if you have real fears, you're far better off talking to your doctor about it than Dr. Google!
  • Thank you again everyone. I feel a little bit better, especially knowing the chances of him contracting it with antibiotics is slim. I know I'm still going to worry, but I'm not quite as scared as I was.

• I was positive last pregnancy and it turned out to be NBD. I was like you and felt like crying because of Google. I think it only takes about 15-20 minutes to get one round of antibiotics in, and they like to get in two rounds before baby arrives. Agree with other ladies, there is little to no chance baby will get it, even without antibiotics. It will all be fine!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary       

• Thank you again for sharing your experiences with me! The more I hear and read, the better I feel. I am still worried, and also bummed, because I KNOW I'm going to be stressed about this for the rest of my pregnancy. I also know that it's going to be in the back of my mind during labor, and also in the back of my mind after he gets here until we are truly out of the woods. I decided to bump my maternity leave start date a little earlier; I'd rather be stressed at home where I can at least relax and nap than stressed at work where I'm distracted by the worry. Also I'd rather go into labor at home than at work. 

Thanks again, ladies. After I left the midwife's office I was crying and almost hyperventilating because I was so scared for our little guy. But I'm feeling much better now, thanks to your stories!!

• sunshinern96sunshinern96 member
    edited August 2016
    Being GBS positive is really no big deal! Just try to get to the hospital asap to get those antibiotics in and you and baby will be good to go! I am a postpartum nurse and tons of our moms are GBS+. In the 5 years that I've been there, we have only had a handful of actual GBS infections in the baby. We are really careful about monitoring babies whose moms are GBS positive and if they show signs of infection, they get 2 days of antibiotics just to be safe (and even this isn't that common). The vast majority of the time, baby is completely fine!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • The antiboitics will fix you up. You will be A ok. And so will baby, i know its shocking and unnerving, just like GD as @AnnaS930 mentioned, but yall will prevail.
  • mjpatzwamjpatzwa member
    edited August 2016
    GBS+ is no big deal. I tested positive in my urine in week 7 of pregnancy and my midwives were just like-- so when your water breaks, come in to get some antibiotics. No big deal. :) Don't worry, my dear. Modern medicine has you covered. 
  • Flowr4246Flowr4246 member
    edited August 2016
    Yep.  I had it with Piper.  Don't sweat it.  All they do is give you IV abx when you're admitted to the hospital in labor to protect the baby against contracting anything while s/he makes his way out.  They like to give multiple doses (1/2 hour drip, every 4 hours and they typically want you to have at least two rounds before you give birth), so they advise you to get to the hospital as soon as you know you're in labor.  In my case, my water broke and I still took my time showering, etc. before heading in.  I think they were able to give me 3 or 4 rounds before she arrived and I was even able to remain mobile for a good long while before I got an epi.  I just asked for an IV pole on wheels and carted it around with me while I walked the halls, bounced on a labor ball, used the bathroom.  It was really a non-issue.

ETA - Bonus to the ABX?  It acted like a built in laxative for me and made the first PP poop easy-peasy. ;)

Piper, 4/10/10
    Connor, 3/16/15
    Morgan, EDD 9/22/16

• I was neg for my first 3 kids and pos for this one. I didn't even know until I went in to deliver. I received Penicillin G K intravenously through the same IV my fluid were running through. It burned a little bit but the nurse diluted it and that really helped. I had a loading dose and then repeat doses every 4 hours until baby was delivered. Since I was induced I think I got 4 doses total and she came right before that 5th one was due. 

You and baby will do great! 
  • Just got back from my obgyn appointment and Doctor told me I tested positive for it. Well that sucks! 
  • I tested positive as well. I am a nurse and I will tell you not to worry too much they will just give you antibiotics during the labor process so you don't pass it on to baby.
  • Why did we test positive? Is it just random? Could it have been avoided? Or was there nothing we could have done about it?
  • Ah825 said:
    Why did we test positive? Is it just random? Could it have been avoided? Or was there nothing we could have done about it?
    My doctor said its a result of the bacteria (that's present in healthy adults) growing out of control - I guess kind of like a yeast infection. I've done some reading and some people say taking probiotics can help, also taking baths in diluted apple cider vinegar and eating foods like sauerkraut can help balance things. BUT, even with all that I would still take the antibiotics during labor.

i was worried it was something I had overlooked or done wrong, but that's not the case. It's just a thing that happens sometimes.

• I was positive with my first, negative with my second and now I'm positive again this time. It's really no big deal as long as you get a round of antibiotics in during labor. 
  • I found out at my last appointment that I'm positive. I was disappointed because I wanted to labor at home for the most part but as problems go I would prefer strep b over others so I'll deal. You can still walk around while you labor so long as you take the iv pole with you according to my doctor. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ab920ab920 member
    edited August 2016
    Also tested positive. I was concerned because I do not want to be confined to a bed or an IV pole during labor, and my doctor said we can opt for a hep lock in our forearm (so we can bend our elbows and wrists) and "hook up" to the IV pole for 20 minutes every 4 hours for the treatment. 
  • ab920 said:
    Also tested positive. I was concerned because I do not want to be confined to a bed or an IV pole during labor, and my doctor said we can opt for a hep lock in our forearm (so we can bend our elbows and wrists) and "hook up" to the IV pole for 20 minutes every 4 hours for the treatment. 
    That's good to know. I will ask my midwife about this as well!

• I'm planning on asking my midwife what she recommends as far as diet goes. I know it's probably too late to "get rid" of the GBS, and even if I could I would probably opt for the ABX anyway... But if I can reduce the bacteria or get rid of it completely to reduce the risk of infection even further, I will do it!

• I had it with all three of my babies so I'm just going to assume I have it this time too. Like others said, it really is no big deal as long as you get the IV. With my youngest two, I didn't get them (I only labored for about 3 hours each time and had both within 15 minutes of getting to the hospital) but basically we just had to stay an extra day for monitoring. I'm expecting something similar this go around too.

Baby 1 - 10/2010 | Baby 2 - 8/2012 | Baby 3 - 6/2014 | Baby 4 - EDD 8/2016 - MC 12-27-2015 | Baby 5 - : 9/2016

• For those concerned about the IV Pole-- just ask for a hep lock in your forearm. That way they can unconnect you when you aren't receiving the antibiotics and it's in a place that won't bother you when leaning, etc. :smile:
  • I'm planning on asking my midwife what she recommends as far as diet goes. I know it's probably too late to "get rid" of the GBS, and even if I could I would probably opt for the ABX anyway... But if I can reduce the bacteria or get rid of it completely to reduce the risk of infection even further, I will do it!
    @runningisrad I talked to my midwife about this and she said Strep B comes and goes, but once you test positive it's best to go with that because it can go away and come back. It just means you have active fluora. 
  • I have it just will get antibiotics during labor... You be fine if you dont get antibiotics then there is 1 in 200 chance they get it it can lead to pnemonia meningitis etc i read if you get it its like 1 in 4000 so no worries 25% of us on here probably hv it... Was supposed to be tested tomorrow but already came up in pee test
  • I don't think it's a big deal. I've had some friends that tested positive for it. They were given antibiotics during labor and that was the end of it. I wouldn't worry too much.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Whelp I just got the call that I am GBS positive. Not worried about it but sucks because I really didn't want to get an IV or any meds during labor. Also means I may have to go in sooner when labor starts due to having to get the IV antibiotics. Still going for as natural as possible delivery.
  • Found out today I'm negative. I'm happy as that means I don't need to go to the hospital as early - it's a bit of a drive anyways, but I want to labor at home as long as I can. :)
  • @rock1cherry that was my hope. Hoping water doesn't break early so I can labor more at home before heading in.
  • jenkar01 said:
    @rock1cherry that was my hope. Hoping water doesn't break early so I can labor more at home before heading in.
    @jenkar01 Are you under the care of an OB or a midwife? Just wondering because my midwife said I could still labour at home for as long as I wanted even if I turn out to be GBS+, they would just come and put a hep lock in and start giving me the antibiotics at home. If you're with a midwife, ask if this is a possibility maybe?
  • @yellowrose314 I am seeing a midwife but that unfortunately is not an option where I am at. She said I can still labor at home for the most part but need to make sure I am at the hospital at least 4 hours before I have the baby. My mom is a midwife as well so I will be using her expertise to help judge when I should go in.
  • I'm GBS+ too. What helped me be more at peace with it was hearing from my OB today that it wasn't until the 90s that they found this correlation between GBS and newborn health issues and started testing mommas for GBS. Made me grateful that we can benefit from that research by getting tested and taking the antibiotics during labor and staying at the hospital 48 hrs after birth for monitoring to help prevent issues. Thank you modern medicine for helping to keep my baby safer!  Our moms probably didn't get the chance to have this test done