October 2015 Moms

Tired of everyone's comments

bakerwoman1bakerwoman1 member
edited June 2016 in October 2015 Moms
I'm just so tired of everyone's comments. Whether it's a friend, a friend's kids, the cashier at the grocery store, strangers on the street, a friend's mom...everyone has a comment about my LO. "He's so quiet, he doesn't smile much, someone's not happy today, he's so serious, what's wrong with his face?" I hear these over and over and it's really eating away at me. I often find myself saying that he just woke up, but I'm seriously going to snap soon. It's also making me really concerned about his social development. He isn't really babbling yet, he just turned 8 months. I get the occasional ba or ma, but nothing solid. He does smile...are people expecting him to be super excited to see them if he doesn't know them? And he has eczema on his face, he rubs his eyes, he scratches it because it's itchy. Yes, we're trying everything. I'm done with the "you should cut out dairy..try feeding him yogurt..you should go see a natropathic doctor." Ok...that turned into more of a rant, but thanks for reading. Pic for cuteness :-)
TTC #1 Since July 2014 
 BFP 7.25.14~ EDD 4.8.15 
MMC 9.22.14 @ 11w5d Baby Measured 8w2d
Two failed doses of Misoprostal  D&C 9.25.14

Re: Tired of everyone's comments

• He looks perfect to me!
  • He is absolutely adorable!!! I know it's super hard but try to ignore the comments. You know you're little guy and as long as he is hitting some of his milestones and you and his doctor are happy that's what's matters! 
  • Loading the player...
  • My guy can be super serious around other people as well. He's a goofball at home, all smiles and a pretty happy baby but he can be overwhelmed in different environments, or even those he's been in before.
  • Thanks ladies! I had just come from the grocery store and had another commenter. I'm feeling a little better about it today...
    TTC #1 Since July 2014 
     BFP 7.25.14~ EDD 4.8.15 
  • He looks perfect to me!

Maybe he's an intelligent introvert! 
  • I lie all the time and say she just woke up or she's suddenly tired. She just has resting baby face and can't be bothered to smile at strangers. She's a bit like her parents to be honest.  :|
  • oceanlove13oceanlove13 member
    edited July 2016
    Every time I go in public with my toddler I get several comments: " Did he just wake up?", "He looks sleepy", " He's shy", " Does he talk?"  The list goes on.  He's very shy and has dark circles under his eyes naturally, just like I do. He sleeps more than most toddlers.  He's the happiest kid ever.   I've heard these comments my whole life and my son will too it seems.  Just ignore them all. I just smile (& laugh inside) and don't let any of them bother me.
  • When we are not outside of the house. She will do the same thing to strangers who try to get her to smile. She gives them major side eye. I don't give any explanation the joke is within itself that she will do that.
  • Resting baby face! Love it! (I seriously have resting b**ch face!) thank you ladies!
    TTC #1 Since July 2014 
     BFP 7.25.14~ EDD 4.8.15 
  • What a sweetheart! Looks like you're doing a great job and I bet he thinks so too. That's all that matters!!
  • My daughter is typically very serious about things and seems like more of an introvert- she is prefers playing with toys on her own, or just sitting and flipping through books. She does a lot of cheeky smiles and babbles with me and my husband but isn't much of a laugher! She is shy and quiet around other family members and strangers and we definitely get comments about it- especially from my MIL. "She's not a very happy baby is she?" "Someone's grumpy again!" "Does she not babble?" Is what we typically hear from her. I think it's just her personality developing and she's definitely an introvert because she's very happy at home and just more quiet around others. I'm the same way- nothing wrong with that! 
  • My son stares people down so we get comments like that too. I just laugh and say he is really good at the staring game. Normally people just laugh with me at that point. 
  • Sorry for commenting so late. I hope it's gotten better for you. My daughter doesn't smile at strangers either and I also find it annoying when people get frustrated by her lack of enthusiasm. She can have resting bitch face. And I'm not saying that in a bad way at all. I don't and I wish I did. I want her to be a strong girl with boundaries. Not that smiley girls don't have that. All I'm trying to say is I am a smiley girl and I'm happy to have a non smiley daughter. She might be given space and boundaries that I wasn't given because everyone expected me to be nice and a sweet little girl. I haven't thought it through for a boy yet but that's what I've come to think now. 
  • lalenalalena member
    edited August 2016
    Some babies are just more serious and not as smiley all the time. My 10mth old, almost 11months, is very analytical and likes to observe. And he is very very serious. We call him Capt Serious. But he does smile. He just likes to check out new things until he gets comfy with the idea or surroundings 

Idk if it's because this is my 2nd kid, but any comments I get it's like water off a duck's back. You know your child better than anyone. Who cares what others say? You're going to be getting comments from concerned, nosy and/or generally inquisitive friendly observers about one thing or another on occasion as you kids grows up. Depending on the comment, sometimes you just have to shrug and let it go. Otherwise, you'll drive yourself nuts.