Baby Showers

Sleep

Hey ladies, we were thinking about doing our registry. And the first thing we thought about was what the baby will sleep in. We have a crib because of our first daughter. Now, we are looking to find either a bassinet for the baby to sleep in our room and so we can travel back and forth. My husband keeps saying that we have a pack and play that may have a bassinet included. But my thing is its thing and hard for the baby to sleep in until we decided to put the baby in the crib. Should I just stay with the bassinet or should I invest in a bassinet. We will also take it to his moms to watch the baby. 

Re: Sleep

• Latina211508Latina211508 member
    edited August 2016
    All 4 of my babies slept in a bassinet next to my bed. Especially since they were breastfeeding. Mine had a soft mattress in it and I could even fit a boppy in it for them to *lay on. Damn lol. I honestly loved the bassinet. We had a crib and a pack n play. The pack n play is hard. It does have a built in bassinet but I thought it was flimsy compared to a real bassinet alone. I used to pack n play more once my kids got older. But yes the pack n play is good for travel. My bassinet also had a fold up bottom. You never know what your baby will dislike/like also. 
  • A bassinet will take up less space, but they will grow out of it faster. Just remember that no matter what you go with don't put anything in there besides a fitted sheet.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly, I think a bassinet is kind of a waste.  You only use it for such a short amount of time.

If you won't be using the crib at first, I'd just go with a pack n play and purchase a better mattress.  Chances are you'll get more use out of that and it's much more comfortable than the mattress that typically comes with the PnP.

Also, just a kind advisory that it's not safe to put anything in the crib/PnP with baby.  Just stick to fitted sheets.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Honestly, I think a bassinet is kind of a waste.  You only use it for such a short amount of time.

If you won't be using the crib at first, I'd just go with a pack n play and purchase a better mattress.  Chances are you'll get more use out of that and it's much more comfortable than the mattress that typically comes with the PnP.

Also, just a kind advisory that it's not safe to put anything in the crib/PnP with baby.  Just stick to fitted sheets.
    My boppy even has a big tag on it that says not for sleeping. 

My boppy even has a big tag on it that says not for sleeping. 
    This.  The only thing that should be in a crib/pack and play/bassinet is a fitted sheet and your baby.  No pillows, blankets, stuffed animals, etc.
  • We really loved the rock'n'play until we moved LO to his crib!

Good luck. :)
  • Latina211508Latina211508 member
    edited August 2016
    **** to lay on. 
  • My two youngest both slept much better than my older two using a rock n play next to my bed for the first couple months.
  • **** to lay on. 
    I caught it the first time when you said "to lay on" but it's not much of a stretch from lay on to sleep on when it's in their bed (bassinet, crib, pnp, etc) so it's best just to not put it in there at all.

• I had a p'n'p with a bassinet insert.  My oldest slept in it next to my bed for about 10 days after we came home from the hospital.  I found that, while it was nice to have her right by my bed, I also woke up EVERY time she made a noise, and that made it hard for me to figure out when she was really awake and hungry and when she was just making typical baby sleeping noises.  When we started putting her down in her crib in her room, we both actually slept more. 

I did get a TON of use out of the p'n'p as a travel crib, though.  Both my kids slept in it when we went camping, stayed in hotels, or at a beach cottage.  We travel a lot, so the p'n'p became a consistent bed when we were away from home through the toddler years.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • My son is 18 months and has always been in a PNP. We were cheap and also in a very tiny apartment for awhile so we didn't bother with anything extra or a "real" bed. We bought a mattress for it and he seems very content. Now he's pushing the weight limit and could probably use a toddler bed. 
  • DD was in a pack n play until I moved her into her crib at 8 weeks. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker