May 2016 Moms

Any step moms here?

Tomorrow will be the first time my step son meets his little sister. He lives in another state so we don't see him that often. His mom moved him there when he was about 3...he is now 5 and my SO has only been able to see him about 3 times since the move due to financial reasons and we always have to pay for the mom to come here.
How can I make this a positive experience  for my step son? How can I help keep him from being jealous? When I was pregnant he told me to "fix the baby and make it a boy" so I don't think he's excited about having a sister and he and I don't really have a great relationship. Any advice?

Re: Any step moms here?

• This may not be helpful since I'm not a stepmom and my son is much younger than your stepson, but he was super bummed when he found out the baby was a girl and throughout my pregnancy continued to just insist that the baby actually was a boy. Well since she was born he's never mentioned it once and is totally smitten with her. So he may not care about the sex any more either. Hope it goes well!
  • I'm not a stepmom but DH is my daughter's stepdad. My daughter is 8 and even though she was excited, I was worried she'd be jealous. It's been just her for 8 years. For your step son, maybe get him some kind of big brother gift. I can imagine it being hard only seeing his dad a few times since moving. Maybe him and his dad can go no a father/son date to ease the transition and not be all about the baby. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the advice! LO got her shots today so it was a good excuse to leave my SS and SO alone together for a few hours. Fortunately, he's only been acting out for reasons other than his sister and seems to have taken to her pretty well. I even got the comment "Oh, I thought it'd be a weird looking thing. She just looks like a baby!"  Good thing to hear. Lol 
  • I am a step mom to an 11 year old girl! The most important thing I can say is to keep things as "normal" as possible. I know it's a little different bc he's from out of state. My husband still tucked her in very night, paid her special attention, we have kept routine... Basically show that not everything has changed and the baby is a positive addition! 
  • I'm a bonus momma to a 4 year old and 6 year old. I tried to make the first meeting more about them than baby. I tell them that he looks up to them. I constantly compliment them on how great of a big sister/big brother they are. Everything has gone great and they don't seem to be jealous at all.