September 2015 Moms

Any ideas for how to get my 10 m/o to sleep later in the AM?

My 10 month old has always had a pretty early bedtime, around 6:30-6:45pm. He used to sleep 12 hours a night, but he has been waking up around 5:30 or 5:40am most days lately. I wonder if I can do anything to get him to sleep a little later? I definitely think that an earlier bedtime helps many babies sleep longer at night, but you can't get much earlier than 6:30! So I thought maybe in his case, putting him down at 7 might result in a later morning wake time, but it really hasn't. Any ideas? Or maybe I need someone to tell me it is what it is and not to try to fix it. What do you think?

Re: Any ideas for how to get my 10 m/o to sleep later in the AM?

• You could definately try putting him down a little later and see if that helps. Another thing that might help are room darkening curtains if you don't have those already and possibly adding white noise if he is waking up because someone in the house is up and moving around. But you may just be stuck with an early riser. 
  • What time does your LO wake up from her afternoon nap? I found extending the time between the LO's last nap and going to bed time, helped! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I wish mine slept that late. My LO goes to sleep around 8-830 (even tho we start bedtime early like 645, she usually plays in her crib until she's tired) and wakes up at 530-6am! 
    I have tried everything, putting to bed early /later / black out blinds/overnight diapers.  
    Following for advice !
  • @jennahkross There's about 4 hours between afternoon nap and bedtime. If he's not up from his nap by 3, I wake him up at 3 and put him to bed by 7. Sometimes though he'll wake at 2, and I'll put him to bed by 6:30 on those days.
  • Yes, early bedtime help with baby is little but as they get older sleep needs change.  10-12 hours at night is normal but I think if you go back and take a peek at the thread "what time does you little one wake up in the morning" you will see that the vast majority of our babies fall into 10-11 hours which is exactly what you are getting now.  

Asking LO to sleep 11 or 12 hours overnight and then take decent naps may just be expecting too much since that would put you on the high end of 12-14 hours total sleep per day, maybe even over it depending on how chunky naps are. If a later wake up is important to you then you probably need to slowly move to a later bedtime.  Try 7 or 7:15 for a week and see where that gets you. 
  • Thank you all!!! I'm going to stick to a 7pm bedtime for a week and see if that helps.
  • I've been having the exact same issue.  Our LO was going down at 7:30 and waking up at 5, just short of the recommended 10 hour minimum.  Our ped recommended not going in to her room as soon as she wakes up but giving her time to play, fuss, etc and maybe go back to sleep.   We've been waiting 10 minutes to go in to get her each time she wakes up in the morning and she is gradually sleeping in more and more.  She is now sleeping until 5:50, so hopefully we'll be at 6 by next week!
    Married 6.21.2014
    DD #1: 8.16.2015
    #2 EDD: 1.13.2019
  • @hlb8179 That sounds like a good idea, I'm glad it's been working so far! Hope it continues to get later for you! 
  • What time does he go down for his morning nap? If it's earlier than 9, you may want to make it 9:30.  The theory being your baby is waking early because there isn't enough time between when he wakes and his first nap so he compensates by waking earlier.  This is what a sleep consultant told me and as soon as I changed, it worked.  
  • Oooh that's interesting @Livvyloo87! I put him down by 9am for his first nap. His naps are 1 hr 15 min on average, at 9 and 1:15.