Pregnant after IF
Options

Dr appt after BFP?

babymama619babymama619 member
edited August 2016 in Pregnant after IF
Jumping over here from IF after I got my BFP today. I'm wondering if you could tell me what your first appointments were after your positive test. I'm asking because with my first, who was conceived naturally, they really didn't care when I came in for my 1st month appointment. There was no rush.

I changed jobs this month and I have 10 days until my insurance kicks in, ugh! I know the RE said to come in for blood work if I got a BFP, but why? Obviously, I'll call in the morning. Just wondering if they just want to track betas or what. It's not like if something was wrong we could do anything about it, right? Maybe I'm totally wrong! TIA!!

also, when did you move on to a regular OB?

Re: Dr appt after BFP?

• Options
    I'll give you my timeline for this pregnancy and my past one:

Beta 2/26
    Beta would have been 2/28 if I was in town
    Beta 3/4
    RE Ultrasound 3/11, 3/18, 3/25, 4/1, 4/8, 4/9
    Insurance Appointments 3/18, 4/4
    A MMC was discovered at my RE on 4/8

Beta 8/7, 8/9, 8/14
    RE Ultrasound 8/19, 8/25, every friday until 10 weeks
    I'll go in to my insurance if everything looks good at this weeks ultrasound.

I'm assuming that since you're on the pregnant after infertility board you've been seeing an RE who should closely monitor you until 8-10 weeks.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Options
    And if this was a medicated IVF/fresh or frozen embryo transfer cycle, you don't have a corpus luteum (the follicle that releases the egg in a natural cycle) secreting hormones until the placenta fully takes over (at 10 weeks), so your pregnancy is at the mercy of what Meds you are taking/injecting/etc. RE will want to check levels usually at least once to make sure your doses don't need adjusting. 

If if you did iui, you do have a corpus luteum working for you but RE may still want to make sure you don't need to take something else to supplement. 

Totally depends on on what you were seeing them for and what kind of cycle you have. Good luck!
    Me, 38. DH, 46 married 11/14
    TTC since 11/14 for #1
    first RE visit 11/15, me - blocked left tube and Low AMH, DH - low count, motility not great
    1/16 clomid, 3 follicles on left. cancelled iui due to blocked tube
    2/16 Clomid/ovidrel/IUI, 3 follicles - BFN
    3/16 clomid, 4 follicles on left. cancelled iui due to blocked tube
    4/16 Clomid/ovidrel/IUI, 4 follicles but only one on right side 
    5/16 Lupron, gonal f, menopur, dexamethasone (5/19 suppression check: 13 resting follicles; 5/24: estradiol 457 - decreased menopur;    
             5/27: estradiol 1417, progesterone 0.18, 5 follicles >15mm, 9 follicles 5-15mm; 5/30: estradiol 2964, progesterone 0.8, 9 follicles  
              >16mm, 6 follicles 6-11mm; 5/31: estradiol 3149, progesterone 4.1; 6/1 ER)
    6/16 egg retrieval 6/1 (15 eggs, 14 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI); 5 day update (5AB (biopsied and frozen), 4AB/C (biopsied and frozen), 2/3, 3 morula, 1 multicellular); 7 day update (4 frozen and sent for CCS: 5AB, 4AB/C, 5AB, 4BB); CCS results (2 normal, 1 abnormal, 1 inconclusive)
    7/16 attempt to retest inconclusive - didn't survive thaw
    8/16 transfer day 8/1: 2 5AB hatching blasts, beta 8/10 = 250!!, beta #2 8/12 = 572, ultrasound on 8/24...TWINS!

BabyFetus Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi! Congrats on the BFP!

I just had to POAS and if it was positive I would book an ultrasound for week 7.
    No bloodwork needed to confirm. 
    This was after my IUI's, IVF and FET's.

I did get bloodwork done after my IVF and FET's as I was on progesterone and I was to scared to stop when I had a BFN, wanted to be sure I wasn't pregnant.
    But I ordered those myself at my regular doctors office.
    My clinic was just happy with a positive test.
    I live in Norway and my clinic is in Denmark, which might be the reason they were OK with just a BFP on a stick :)

I ended up with bleeding at week 5, so was happy I had done bloodwork as I could see a proper increase of beta at week 6, which meant I was still pregnant.
    Might have doubted I was pregnant if I hadn't done my bloodwork. 

I only checked for my beta, hormone levels (progesterone and estrogen) were never checked. I took those until week 10 and stopped cold turkey without bloodwork done.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    Thanks so much for the responses! I did 2 IUIs this cycle with donor sperm. I was on clomid then gonal f and trigger. I'm currently taking 300 mg of prometrium daily. I'll call in the morning, but this is good I for just to know what to expect.

• Options
    Congratulations on your BFP !! REs monitor the beta levels to make sure it is growing well and also to rule out the ectopic pregnancy etc. I had 3 or 4 beta tests, but my insurance was covering thos tests. After Beta level reached 2000, they did an U/s to make sure it is in the uterus and one more to see the heart beat at ~7 weeks. My OB wanted to see me between 8-10 weeks and they did an U/S to confirm the due date , size and location of the embryo.
    As you said, i also believed that these many beta tests were a little excessive since they cannot really do much but i was also happy to have them  to ease my mind because i was really anxious those days.

• Options
    *update* doc said I could wait until insurance kicks in on the first for bloodwork. He said that b/c I'm already on prometrium, even if there was something wrong, there's nothing they would do. Thanks for the info and support!