September 2015 Moms
Options

Paranoid about choking? *TW*

is anyone else feeling overly paranoid about their babies choking? I feel like I may have some post miscarriage anxiety about this one but I cannot stop overly worrying and thinking about my DS choking on something, I picture it and I dwell on it and it's driving me crazy, I'm too afraid to let anyone watch him even my DH because I am afraid he will choke when I'm not there (and both my parents are nurses -my dad a NICU nurse- and my father in law is an EMT) please tell me it will go away with time, or does it just morph into something else as they get older you start worrying about other things? He just puts any and everything into his mouth! I try to be vigilant about keeping stuff off the floor but the other day he almost choked (was coughing gagging and turning red faced) on a leaf that we had tracked in after trimming the bushes and almost gave me a heart attack! Ugh, this worry is crazy. 

Re: Paranoid about choking? *TW*

• Options
    I had the same worry until a couple of months ago. It's dwindled as he's gotten older and I've gone over how to do the baby heimlick with everyone who's kept him. Basically for the same reasons, he eats any and everything within a five mile radius. The leaf thing has happened multiple times. My husband actually had fish out a small twig a few weeks ago. I mean you can be  a helicopter parent but sometimes you have to turn your back and sometimes these things will happen. Everyone is different but I have found with time that the panic I used to feel when he coughed or showed signs of having eaten something he's not supposed to has really dwindled. I feel somewhat prepared and able to deal with it. My fear was really bad when we first started solid foods (not purees) and I think it's also what helped to alleviate the fear. Once I saw he had no issues with solids. 
  • Options
    RobsMrs77RobsMrs77 member
    edited August 2016
    shelbydd said:
    I had the same worry until a couple of months ago. It's dwindled as he's gotten older and I've gone over how to do the baby heimlick with everyone who's kept him. Basically for the same reasons, he eats any and everything within a five mile radius. The leaf thing has happened multiple times. My husband actually had fish out a small twig a few weeks ago. I mean you can be  a helicopter parent but sometimes you have to turn your back and sometimes these things will happen. Everyone is different but I have found with time that the panic I used to feel when he coughed or showed signs of having eaten something he's not supposed to has really dwindled. I feel somewhat prepared and able to deal with it. My fear was really bad when we first started solid foods (not purees) and I think it's also what helped to alleviate the fear. Once I saw he had no issues with solids. 
    Exacy this ^^ great advice.

Try not to worry, love. The fear of choking will lessen. These little people have so much more control of their mouths now than what they had 3/4 months ago. :)

eta: we have a plant eater here, lol,  and he's never choked.... Whilst en route to me removing it from his mouth that is! Eyes needed in the back of my head. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I do to now that he can feed himself. He really like the aspect of chewing and hoards food in his mouth before he swallows, just so he can bit more food. It's frustrating 
  • Options
    Same fear here.  It does get better with time, though.  I swear, more expletives came out of my mouth in the first few years of my kids' lives than any other time, because of the tiny little things they decide to eat!

I wonder if some of it is related to having parents in the medical field?  My mom is an ER nurse, so I tend to catastrophize things in my mind if I'm not careful to edit her "voice" out of my own thoughts.

Hang in there.
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • Options
    Same fear, and my LO never puts stuff in his mouth! He plays with everything forever then might randomly put it in his mouth.
    My fear is gagging and choking because he does this with anything that isn't an apple sauce consistency, still!!!!! Almost 11 months old and zero finger food, puffs, blueberries cut up, NOTHING. He can't have any of it because he just gags and vomits. RIGHT after we told FIL about his, he picked up a piece of cheese and tried to shovel it in my babies mouth?!?! What the fuck, dude?! Then when my DH batted it away, he said 'he will choke on this?!?!' We said yes, remember it's ANYTHING. Can't wait until he can handle stage 3 blends. Ugh. 
  • Options
    Oh yes. Same worry here. I still cut up my 3 year old's foods more than any other parents I know. And it's my mom's voice in my head too...she used to be a nurse and she's scared me with her stories. I'd say just do what makes you feel comfortable, and don't worry what others think. Everyone has things they get anxious about. Sorry you're going through this.