January 2017 Moms

2 vessel umbilical cord

(instead of 3 vessels)

Anyone have experience with this? Had the US on Monday, but just met with the MD this morning who told me about it. He said that it could cause growth issues, so will need to be monitored with an US about every 4 weeks. If they find growth is an issue, they will check to see if its the "cords fault" and if so, then I would need to deliver because basically the baby would be "starving". A bit scary, but hopefully nothing to worry about until MUCH later in the pregnancy. Baby is right on target now, and hopefully continues to be!!

Re: 2 vessel umbilical cord

• Wow!  I've never heard of this but I hope your babe continues to stay on target.  Is good they caught it now and can monitor the situation.
  • Yes, Owen had a 2-vessel cord and we also did later scans to check his growth. Luckily, he was completely fine and actually still ended up being huge at birth so the cord did not negatively effect his growth at all. The only thing was we induced at 40 weeks because they said the cord can stop delivering all the necessary nutrients after 40 weeks. I was totally on board with this plan and really wanted him out by 40 weeks. I also have a friend who's son had a 2-vessel cord - he was born 6 months ago and also completely fine (and huge too). Fingers crossed that you have no cord issues!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • No experience with it but most of what I've read is that it's fairly common and most of the time doesn't create any issues. Awesome that your doctor is monitoring it and telling you what the risks are instead of sugar coating it though so that you can ask questions and be aware of what may happen.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• I have no personal experience but I have heard of this from other women and what I gather is that as long as you are aware of this and keeping an eye on it (which you are), is shouldn't pose any problem.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My DD had a 2 cord vessel and was delivered right at 40 weeks at 8 lbs 1 oz.

• I don't have any experience but I will pray for everything to go smoothly and for peace for you and your family. ❤
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • My son had a two vessel cord and was delivered at 40 weeks at 8 pounds 15 ounces - totally healthy. It's scary but they said more often than not the baby is just fine. It was nice to get extra ultrasounds to see him though! I had my 19 week ultrasound for my second yesterday - I am so glad all looks well, but can't believe I won't get to see him again until he arrives!
    BabyFruit Ticker

DS Born 5/7/2014

• Had an ultrasound on Wednesday and was told that I have a 2 vessel cord. I have a level 2 ultrasound scheduled for this Tuesday. My doctor made it sound like it wasn't a big deal, but I came home and googled and now I'm super worried. Everything else looks good so really hoping this ends up not being a big deal. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • This is super common for identical twins- my girls both have 3 vessel cords but I know a bunch of twin moms who's babies had 2 vessel cords. Lots of uneventful births (or eventful but pertaining to placental sharing and not at all the cord) I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes smoothly!
  • My cousin had a two vessel cord and was told that the majority of the time baby is A-OK. In fact, she said it was nice to get to have the extra attention later in her pregnancy to soothe her anxieties. She recently delivered a perfectly healthy baby boy right on schedule with no complications. I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you that everything goes well!
    Me & DH: 27
    Met: 12.9.2007
    Married: 9.26.2014
    BFP: 5.1.2016
    Baby Boy Due: 1.13.2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My daughter had this and she's perfectly healthy