April 2016 Moms
Options

Struggling to lose baby weight

Hello moms! So, this idea that "oh, just breastfeed and the weight will FLY off" is total horse poop. I'm not seeing any weight just "fly" off. My son is in daycare so I'm pumping a couple of times at work, and breastfeeding when he's at home, but I feel like I'm just at a slump with my weight.  
Being at a desk all day, I have little time to be active while I'm at work.
Any recommendations, aside from the standard "just work out" answer?  I'm walking as time allows, but admit I'm slacking on my water intake. What has helped you???

Re: Struggling to lose baby weight

• Options
    I agree with you. I'm EPing and definitely not where I want to be . I'm stalled at 10 lbs over pre preg weight, but this is my third baby... so I'm trying not to be hard on myself. Hoping it comes off easily when I'm done BF. 

For now I would say just try your best to really up your water intake, watch sugar and squeeze in any physical activity wherever possible. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Take some lemon with one tbsp honey in warm water right after you wake up, before breakfast. It might help. Its a slow process but very effective and tention free!
  • Options
    Try downloading the app MyFitnessPal to keep yourself balanced. It's good about helping you realize what hidden sugars are in things and letting you know "oh wait, I'm really low on protein today and there was a lot more sugar in my coffee than I thought".

Often times some very simple adjustments can really help, as long as they're the right ones. I lost a decent amount just by having a sweet potato as my carb with my meal at night while my husband had whatever I would have otherwise made. The app helps me find what I eat too much of, and where I slack. Also Weilos is great and SO motivating, like Instagram for people who are all trying to lose weight. And you can search by group (10 pounds to lose, 100 pounds to lose, etc). You can do this! You already did the hard part, you made a baby!
  • Options
    I'd echo what others said, watch what you eat, a healthy diet is key!  My husband and I are doing low carb and although I'm still eating more carbs than him (hello BF) it has helped us both lose weight.  Just not buying junk foods has really helped too...if it's not there you can't eat it!
  • Options
    I haven't been on an exercise regimen since I was pregnant with my first, 6 years ago. My weight came off in 4, 6, and 9 mos with my first three, with ebfing and no exercise (aside from walks with babies in tow). However, with this one, it's not coming off as easily. I'm hoping that once preschool starts in September, I'll be better able to get some exercise in. I still have about 15lbs to drop.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I gained 55 and have 10 left to lose. Its a slow process!(Im not bf). I can wear my one size up "early pregnancy" jeans unbuttoned with a belly band coverimg it, but have muffin top if I button them. I havent tried on my regular prepregnancy jeans. I thimk my body shape might be different because in the past I had gained 10 pounds one summer and was still able to wear my normal jeans (they were tight) but now I cant wear jeans that are one size bigger and Im only 10 pounds from my prepregnancy weight. I already have a hard time finding jeans that fit, so now with my new awesome PP body I imagine jean shopping will be even worse. Ugh! Who invented jeans and when did jeans become the thing we wear all the time?? 
  • Options
    loveymay said:
    I gained 55 and have 10 left to lose. Its a slow process!(Im not bf). I can wear my one size up "early pregnancy" jeans unbuttoned with a belly band coverimg it, but have muffin top if I button them. I havent tried on my regular prepregnancy jeans. I thimk my body shape might be different because in the past I had gained 10 pounds one summer and was still able to wear my normal jeans (they were tight) but now I cant wear jeans that are one size bigger and Im only 10 pounds from my prepregnancy weight. I already have a hard time finding jeans that fit, so now with my new awesome PP body I imagine jean shopping will be even worse. Ugh! Who invented jeans and when did jeans become the thing we wear all the time?? 
    Yea I had to buy new jeans. They're the same size as my Pre-Pg jeans BUT a different cut/brand. I couldn't even get my fat jeans over my hips though I haven't tried since about 8-10 weeks pp.
  • Options
    @yodiggity. I tried on my prepregnancy jeans when I was a week PP....seriously dont know what I was expecting to happen?  I couldnt get them up my thighs! I refuse to try them on again until I reach my prepreg weight.  And Im totally expecting them not to fit right and I'll have to go shopping. *sigh
  • Options
    I still have about 12 lbs to lose before I'm at my prepreg weight. I am able to wear a few pairs of prepreg pants that were big on me before, but I definitely have a muffin top in my favorite pair of jeans and can't get a lot of other pants over my thighs. I can definitely tell that my hips are wider, too, so I may not ever get back in those skinny jeans. Anyways, I stalled out losing weight with about 20 lbs to go. I'm not BF so I'm doing WeightWatchers. It's really just about avoiding carbs, fats, and sugars, but you can budget your points if you do want to indulge in those things every now and then. You can eat all of the fruit & veggies you want though, and a glass of wine is only 4 points. It has helped me lose about 8 lbs so far, and I'm sure it would be more if I wouldn't eat like crap on the weekends. I also sit at a desk all day, and I got a FitBit to help me remember to get up and move around. It'll buzz me at 10 till each hour if I haven't gotten at least 250 steps that hour. I'm competitive and OCD so it drives me CRAZY if I don't get my steps in so it has really helped me be a little more active. It only takes about a 3 minute walk to get the 250 steps so I'll usually just get up and go to the bathroom or go up and down the stairs. I also try to squeeze in a 30 minute workout when I get home, but lately my teething, wonder week, 4 month sleep regression bundle of joy hasn't really let that happen.