December 2016 Moms

Tell me about

the Rock and Play.  When I had my last baby (years ago), the Rock and play wasn't really offered- most people used the bassinet feature of the pnp or a regular bassinet.  Now I hear so much about the RnP and wonder if it would be a better option than the PnP bassinet feature we currently have. 

Do you like your RnP, was it worth it in terms of price versus usability?  Would you recommend it?

We are trying to start a list of things we need since there is a sizable gap between my DS and this baby, we are trying to figure out what we should spend the money on.

Re: Tell me about

• We loved our RnP while L would use it. He could nap in it, he could be out of the way while I was cooking/cleaning, or he could be in the bathroom while I took a bath/shower. It helped a great deal with my worries about him rolling off the bed or having a dog sit on him. Many people also love it because it sets LO at an incline that is really helpful with reflux.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• RnP 100%. DH slept in it next to my bed as a baby. Then he continued to take naps in it til way late. Hey it really really worked for us though. So excited to have it for this baby too :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks @Kate08Young!  The RnP sounds a lot like what we used our swing for (minus the napping part- since we have a small swing).  But both of my children had pretty bad reflux so it might be worth it just for that aspect alone!
  • I don't know much about them (FTM), but I was over visiting a friend and his wife yesterday who just had a baby (their second) a couple weeks ago. They raved about their RNP and how they loved it. It's just the baby in it, no pillows or anything else, and it pus him at a good angle. That's what they usually have him sleep in, I guess. They said it's easy to travel with too.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks @slartybartfast and @kacie209!  I think it might be something I put on my list of stuff needed.  I really like that the seat is on an incline.  @slartybartfast, did you find your baby slept for longer stretches in the RnP versus the crib?

• phoebecar said:

Thanks @slartybartfast and @kacie209!  I think it might be something I put on my list of stuff needed.  I really like that the seat is on an incline.  @slartybartfast, did you find your baby slept for longer stretches in the RnP versus the crib?

yea and went down easier. He was just so content in there. However, when we transitioned to the crib we fortunately didn't have any issues at all either. Not sure how to duplicate that...
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • My GF is gifting me her extra one because she is THAT convinced of its magical powers for sleeping. I hope she is right!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • jennbaylor12jennbaylor12 member
    edited August 2016
    RnP 100%. DH slept in it next to my bed as a baby. Then he continued to take naps in it til way late. Hey it really really worked for us though. So excited to have it for this baby too :)
    ^This. <3<3<3 our RnP!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have friends that swear by it, anf I may get one too since the pnp (that ds slept in for the first 6-8 weeks of his life) is big and takes up space. I have heard that it can be really hard to transition baby from rnp to crib though because they won't be as used to an open space and it's not at an incline. 
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @phoebecar I realized I missed part of your questions. I found our RnP at a yardsale for $5. That was definitely worth it. I think if I can scrape it up I will actually just get a brand new one (~$50 on amazon) so I have fresh batteries and a clean padding/holder - the dogs have stolen the old one. 
      They also have some pretty cool little features. Ours would shake or vibrate at different speeds, had soothing music, and when the over head thingy was on it would have a little light show. 

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• DD1 slept in a swing, but we're getting a RnP for DD2! My brother and SIL have one for my niece and after seeing her in it, I needed to get one. I figure she'll sleep in it in our room for however many months she'll tolerate it. For what it's worth, my SIL said the ones at Target were the cheapest while she was price matching! 

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• We bought one at the advice of everyone else. I can honestly say we never once used it. It was never really functional to us. DS1 slept in the bassinet section of his pack and play for one week before we moved him to his crib.
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • Love the RnP! My only advice would be to add some extra padding under the head (like a receiving blanket) to avoid any flattening. Our pedi suggested it early on and we never had any issues. But after reading some reviews it looked like a lot of other people had negative experiences with their babies developing a flat spot in the RnP.
  • I'm torn. Missed out on the RnP with DS and DSD had a mamaRoo swing that DH used for the same thing and THAT thing is amazing. I'm thinking we'll invest in another one of those (DH passed the one DSD used back and forth between him and DSD's mom and she lent it out to someone after DSD outgrew it, so bye bye $200 swing...).

So, I'm not sure if getting a RnP is worth it or if we should just just putt our money/gift cards into the mamaRoo.

Anniversary

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We already bought a swing and a bouncer seat before I'd heard of the magical RnP. I put it in my registry just in case someone wants to buy it, but don't really expect anyone to. If lil bubba hates what we have, then maybe I'll go out and get one. But I don't really want a their baby holder contraption taking up anymore space. 
  • yellingbananayellingbanana member
    edited August 2016
    We didn't have one for either DD's, we used a bassinet and a Graco swing. But I think we might get fancy and go for a Mamaroo this time round, they seem amazing, like swing/RnP in one. And you can change speeds/sounds with your phone. 
    I still have my co-sleeper bassinet from DD 1, it will get one last use from me before moving on to another family. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• thanks everyone!  It sounds like everyone loves the RnP!  I'm placing it on my need list.  It is so amazing to me what they've come out with since my last was born.  Just as an example- they did not have (that I'm aware of anyway) the option to do the NIPT testing and I was AMA then too.  It's so interesting/awesome what people have invented that helps make a mama's job easier.

thanks again for everyone's advice!!

• cjt121413 OMG now I really really want an adult RnP.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • After reading this thread I just scored a used one on Craigslist for $20!

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• i'm still debating the RnP.  it didn't exist 7 years ago with DD1 and by the time i heard about it with DD2 i didn't really see a need.  i'm drooling over the halo bassinet though considering i don't want to haul my butt upstairs 1000x per night if we immediately put LO in the crib.  but those cost a fortune.  maybe we are better off just putting the crib in our room for 3-4 months. i have also heard a lot of moms have issues getting LO to sleep in crib after RnP too and i don't want to go through that.  but i also see it as a great place to put baby down and pretty portable. decisions!
  • We are getting a hand me down swing.  Thoughts on whether or not it's still worth it to register for a RnP?  Not sure I'll spend the $$ on one myself unless we need one/the swing doesn't work out, but no harm no foul if someone else buys it, right?
  • another RnP plus - it packs up so well. We traveled all over with it. Never a worry about sleeping spot. I think we usually checked it but I feel like we even got it in a carry-on once...
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • I'm fairly certain all instruction manuals will tell you to not allow baby to sleep in swings and stuff at night due to issues with breathing. So check manuals and with your pedi before you do that. 

A heads ads up about the mamaroo too- we have one and ds didn't like it more than ten minutes. I know quite a few people whose babies hated it. So maybe try finding a jsed one or pray you get to off of your registry because it's a lot of money to spend for something baby could hate. Or love. Who knows. Babies are weird. 
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • A heads ads up about the mamaroo too- we have one and ds didn't like it more than ten minutes. I know quite a few people whose babies hated it. So maybe try finding a jsed one or pray you get to off of your registry because it's a lot of money to spend for something baby could hate. Or love. Who knows. Babies are weird.

Stuck in the box

This....DS and DD weren't a fan of the mamaroo. When I went to Babies R Us to do a small registry, the lady asked me if I heard of the mamaroo. I told her I had one and both my kids hated it, she said that is what she hears a lot it's really 50/50. The baby either loves it or hates it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had read in the Baby Bargain book that it was better to just get a PnP, since it could be used for a variety of things. But, after seeing my friends RnP, and every post on here since I posted, I think I want one. Our room won't be big enough to hold a PnP, and we want him in our room for awhile. He could go in the living room in a PnP, but I think a RnP is a better option, and still get a PnP for other reasons. IDK... so many decisions!

It would help if my SIL would let me know what we can have of hers, as I have vented about in other posts, cos I know they had something like a RnP for their youngest (now 4) that I remember him being him in their living room, and want to decide if I want what she has, or buy something else.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• Stupid question: is the mamaroo thingy the same as a RnP?

• @ve304856 ahhhhh got it. That makes sense! Thank you :blush:

• A friend of mine with two young children insisted that I get the Rock n Play so my newborn could sleep in it next to me for the first few weeks home. She even found a friend who had received one and never even opened the box, so she gave it to me! It's the adorable "snuggapuppy" model, too. So excited to use it. :)
    Type 1 Diabetic (high risk)

• DiFazetteDiFazette member
    edited August 2016
    Love the RnP! My only advice would be to add some extra padding under the head (like a receiving blanket) to avoid any flattening. Our pedi suggested it early on and we never had any issues. But after reading some reviews it looked like a lot of other people had negative experiences with their babies developing a flat spot in the RnP.
    I'm super late to this thread (and apologize if this point was already made) but make sure you put your cushioning UNDER the fabric and above the hard plastic frame.  You don't want any chance of suffocation from extra blankets around babies head.  

We we had to do this with DS, he started to get a flat spot but would NOT sleep without the incline.  

ETA - I would also say that a RNP is not comparableto a swing because it's so portable.  It folds flat for travel as @slartybartfast mentioned above and you can bring it all over your house with very little effort.  Mine are lighter than my bouncer chairs.  It goes from bedside to bathroom to kitchen to wherever you are.  

Pregnancy Ticker