April 2017 Moms
Options

things to buy/things you've bought - Week of 08/15

Thread to chat about purchases for baby. Things you've bought, things you're planning on buying, recommendations from STM+ to FTM's of things you can't go without/things to not even bother registering for!

Re: things to buy/things you've bought - Week of 08/15

• Options
    Curious to know if any STM's have used a Pack n Play with bassinet for the first few months and, if so, what your experience was.  I anticipate that we will be moving cross-state when LO is 2-3 months old, and I plan on keeping him/her in the room with us until that time, so we will not have a nursery until we move into a larger space.  Thanks in advance!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I'm not a STM, but in my research I've found people who use only a bassinet for the first four months. I have this bassinet on my list right now. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Fisher Price Rock and Play - best $50 I ever spent on baby. Easy to fold and move around and small, the baby feels cozy in it. 
  • Options
    STM2017STM2017 member
    edited August 2016
    @schef070911, STM here. We used our pack n play with bassinet for the first 4 months. I think we used the bassinet portion for 2 months and then had to switch to the pack n play itself because he outgrew the bassinet portion. It wasn't our original plan (FIL made us a beautiful cradle but used the wrong stain on it and it STUNK) but it definitely worked well for us! 

At 4 months we transitioned him out of the pack n play in our room and into his own crib in his room. He's now 15 months and we still use the pack n play when he has to nap at other people's homes/if we are away overnight. 
  • Options
    @schef070911 We have found the Pack N Play to be very useful.  I had a regular old bassinet next to the bed in our room on the second floor, and had the pack n play with bassinet on the first floor for naps when DD was very little - she did outgrow that bassinet pretty quickly.  I had an emergency c-section, so I was glad to have the bassinet downstairs so I didn't have to walk up and down the stairs.  It was great too because DD was jaundiced so we put the pack n play in front of a window to give her some sun.

Like @STM2017 , we still use the pack n play on overnight trips.  So, it has definitely been a worthwhile purchase.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @STM2017 @JaneArson Thanks so much both of you! That's super helpful.  Yeah I'm really interested in items that serve multiple purposes as LO gets older, so I think this is the way to go.  We can buy a crib once we move!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @schef070911 Our DD slept in her rock n play next to our bed for the first three weeks then we transitioned her to the Arms Reach Co Sleeper. We never attached it to the bed so it essentially operated as a smaller crib. We also had a pack n play but it took up too much space in our room. We plan to have #2 in the co sleeper and use rock n play for naps. We transitioned her to her room at three months but she still had plenty of room in the co sleeper if she had stayed with us. 
    DD March 2015
    Baby #2 due April 2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We used the pack n play in our living room as a changing station and nap area when LO was newborn and we have an Arms Reach Co Sleeper for him next to our bed until he was about  months old.  We will use the Co Sleeper for this one but not sure about the pack n play as we now have toys over flowing for our 10 month old in our living room!
  • Options
    We used the Rock n Play for the first two months or so then transitioned to the Pack n Play until 4 months, then he went in his crib.  This time around I may get the Halo Swivel Bassinest or a Dock A Tot.

Or, I may just stick the babe in the crib from day 1 and hope for the best.  We'll see.
  • Options
    I couldn't stop myself....I bought a set of Tula blankets and let me tell you...I AM EXCITED!
  • Options
    For people who cloth diapered, how many cloth diapers did you feel were necessary to keep up?  I'm fine with using cloth and disposable but I want to prepare myself for how many liners and covers I would need to at least try to mostly cloth diaper.
  • Options
    mokay19 said:
    For people who cloth diapered, how many cloth diapers did you feel were necessary to keep up?  I'm fine with using cloth and disposable but I want to prepare myself for how many liners and covers I would need to at least try to mostly cloth diaper.
    It really depends on how often you want to do laundry.  I would count on at least 8 diapers a day, so if you are using hybrids I would get 10 covers and 16 inserts in order to do laundry every other day.
  • Options
    clover28 said:
    mokay19 said:
    It really depends on how often you want to do laundry.  I would count on at least 8 diapers a day, so if you are using hybrids I would get 10 covers and 16 inserts in order to do laundry every other day.

Thank you!  I figured these are something that I can slowly buy over 9 months when I see deals. 

Any specific brands that anyone recommends?  Or insight?

• Options
    @mokay19 @clover28 I'm going to start a cloth diapering thread if you don't mind :)  I don't want your question to be lost in the shuffle!  There's also a cloth diapering board on here that you can check out - I don't know how active it is though.  Everyone is going to have lots of different opinions on what works for them but that way you'll have lots of options!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @schef070911 My LO slept in his crib in his own room from day 1, but I have two pack-n-plays. My house has three floors, so we have the graco travel bassinet on the main floor and a full-size one in the basement. In the early days they were great for naps or bathroom breaks. I now use them as "baby-jail" when I'm trying to cook and DS won't stay out of trouble. The larger pack-n-play has also been great for overnight trips as it is a familiar place to sleep.
  • Options
    We also used the PNP on our main floor for naps, and the crib in his room upstairs at night.  Second what @JaneArson said about avoiding the stairs after a CS too.  You'll want 2 sets of the essentials if you have 2 floors.
  • Options
    We originally used our PNP each night in our room (our graco one was able to have a second level so she slept on that part. Around 1 month we put her in her crib but then moved her back into PNP (and cosleep) until about 6 months. We are now in a house so PNP stays downstairs for naps and she is sleeping in her crib (hopefully for good now!)