Infertility

Ovulating too soon, ER = 0 eggs

I just had my ER, but woke up in recovery to find out they got 0 eggs because I ovulated too soon. I had been taking ganirelix prior to my trigger shot. I saw the doc every day leading up, had scans but no bloodwork. The ER doc seemed a little surprised I didn't have bloodwork done, he actually thought I may have ovulated prior to my trigger. I haven't spoken the my RE cause I'm hurt and angry, I guess I'll return her call tomorrow. 

Has as this happened to anyone else? I just wasted 2 month, $5K worth of drugs, potentially 4 eggs, days off work, hotel and travel cost, and who knows if I have to pay the full fee for the retrieval since it also included the embryologist fee and transfer which didn't happen. 
Me & DH - 41, DH has a cyst blocking his tubes, I'm just old.
IVF #1 scheduled May 2016 - 375/525 follistim, 75 menopur - cancelled cycle Day 6
IVF #2 scheduled July 2016 - new protocol, switcharoo...IUI June 2016 - BFN
IVF#3 scheduled August 2016 - estrogen & testosterone primed for 3 wks - ganirelix 7 days leading up to stim - 500 follistim, 75 menopur, 150 clomid , no follicle growth on day 6, stopped injectibles. Scanned day 9 just to check, some growth, 3 days 200 mg clomid, day 12 more growth, 100 follistim, 75 menopur, start ganirelix on day 13, ER = 0 eggs, ovulated to soon ( :( )
IVF#4 scheduled Sept 2016 - Microdose Flare protocol, cancelled stim day 6 converted to IUI (one dominant follicle)  :(  IUI cancelled ovulated too soon again. Taking a mental health break.
IVF#5 December 2016 - New protocol, same results. My adventure is over.

Re: Ovulating too soon, ER = 0 eggs

• They mess up majorly! When you speak to them, you need to be inform and make sure she is aware that you KNOW she messed up. You 100% should have had bloodwork done prior to your surgery. My office took blood every other day leading up to my surgery and then every day for 4 days straight before my surgery.  There is a hormone that you can test in blood and tell when you will ovulate. They messed up, it's on them. You should AT LEAST get that cycle rebimbursed. You probably can sue if you want. But I would definately consider looking into a new doctor. 

I read your story in our other group and I've been thinking about you. I feel so horrible for you!!! Educate yourself before speaking to her and beside to rectify the situation. Best of luck to you! 
    Me 30 || DH 36
    Unexplained Infertility- Postive for MTHFR Gene Mutation

Natural cycles with 1 miscarriage
    -3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    -IVF #1-Follistim and Menopur= BFN
    ***11 Eggs, 10 mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 1 (day 5) 2 made it to freeze
    -FET #1- Transferred 2, day 5 embryos =BFN
    -IVF #2- Follistim and Menopur = BFN
    ***11 retrieved, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, transferred 2 (day 3), 4 made it to freeze (Follistim and Menopur) = BFN
    -FET #2- Transferred 2, day 3 embryos = BFN
    **Changed doctor**
    -IUI #4- natural cycle = BFN
    -IUI #5- Follistim (5 eggs) BFP- lead to Miscarriage  :'(
    -Laproscopic Surgery for Endometriosis, Polyp removal and Cyst removal. 
    -IVF #3- Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, Ganirellex- BFP lead to Eptopic Pregnancy  :'(
    ***11 Eggs retrieved, 10 Mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 3 embryos (day 3), 0 made it to freeze
    -Lapropscopic surgery- Removal of Fallopian Tube
    -IVF #4- Estrogen Priming with Vivelle dot, Menopur, Follistim, Ganirellex- BFP  :)
    ***15 Eggs retreived, 11 mature, 11 fertilized, 2 embryos transferred (day 3), 2 made it to freeze
    Found out I was positive for MTHFR Gene Mutation during TWW of IVF #4

• @KirstenCas Ugh!  You must be so angry... I am angry for you!  IVF is no walk in the park physically or financially, so to think you went through taking medications (that were expensive and often make you feel like crap) for no reason is ridic!  I too had bloodwork every other day the week leading up to my retrieval, along with USs.  You definitely need to get some answers from your RE... and hopefully reimbursement as well!

Me: 35 DH: 41, Married since 2009

TTC since June 2012

Aug. 2012: CP

2013 Several cycles of TI with Clomid = BFN

Feb. 2014: IUI = BFN

June 2014: IUI w/Clomid = BFN

Jul. 2014: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN

Apr. 2016: Consult to begin IVF

May 2016 TI w/Follistim and Ovidrel = BFN

Jul. 2016: BCPs, baby aspirin, Vitamin D, COQ10, DHEA, Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide, Novarel, Leuprolide Acetate: 21 eggs retrieved, (10 w/ ICSI, 11 w/conv. IVF) 13 fertilized

Jul. 2016: Endometrin, Fresh Transfer 2AB = CP

7 frozen

Oct. 2016: BCPs, baby aspirin, Estradiol, PIO, FET 4AA = CP

6 frozen

Nov. 2016: Hospitalized for small bowel obstruction

Mar. 2017: Diagnostic Laparoscopy = Twist found in intestine - part of small intestine, part of colon, and appendix removed, bowel resection - caused by Endometriosis

May 2017: 3.75 Lupron Depot

June 2017: FET postponed due to complex cysts in breasts

June 2017: Endometrial scratch

Jul. 2017: Baby aspirin, Estradiol, PIO, FET 4AA (lost 1 4AA in thaw) = CP

4 frozen

Sept. 2017: ERA testing

Oct. 2017: Breast cysts biopsied

Dec. 2017: FET

• Loading the player...
  • @KirstenCas I don't post much but I've been following your story and silently cheering for you.  It is crazy that they didn't check your LH and estrogen levels leading up to your retrieval as this is really the only way to know if you are close to ovulating.  I've ovulated prematurely before during an IUI cycle which was upsetting but NOT nearly even close to the amount of time, energy, money and heartache that an IVF cycle entails.  You absolutely should push the envelope with your doctor and demand some compensation for the cycle that I'm sure you already paid for...in addition, I would go to a new doctor.  This is just unexcusable!! I'm so sorry for what you are going through and from one "old" gal to another, don't give up.  
    TTC since August 2014 
    Me: 41, Him: 43 

DX: Unexplained secondary infertility 

History:
    Multiple months of Clomid/Femara
    End of March 2015: BFP with Femara! Saw heartbeat at 5.5 weeks. M/C at 11 weeks
    Multiple more months of Femara
    IUI #1 with Femara and Follistem 75 units: BFN
    IUI #2 with Follistem 150 units: BFN
    Dec 2015: 1st IVF. 10 eggs retrieved with 8 eggs fertilized.  5 day transfer of two embryos with 2 frozen embies. BFN
    January 2016: FET #1 2 embryos: BFN
    March 2016: 2nd IVF cycle. 4 eggs retrieved with 2 fertilized. Quick two day transfer of both embryos: BFN
    April/May 2016 IVF #3. 11 eggs retrieved. 10 mature.  7 fertilized.  2 5AA blasts transferred 5/11/2016 BFN
    September 2016 IVF #4: 17 follicles growing, premature ovulation through Cetrotide. Retrieval cancelled. 
    April 2017 IVF #5: 9 follicles growing, 6 eggs retrieved with 5 fertilized. Transfer of three blasts. BFN
    June 2017: IVF #6: 2 follicles growing, 5 eggs retrieved with 5 fertilized. Transfer of 5 3-day embryos. Chemical pregnancy. BFN
    Nov/Dec 2017: Donor egg cycle. 33 eggs retrieved, 26 mature. 26 fertilized. 
  • So what blood work do they need to check i want to go into ivf educated i would hate for this to happen to me
  • So what blood work do they need to check i want to go into ivf educated i would hate for this to happen to me
    @Hoping4Success they check your LH, estrogen, and progesterone and several others.  I also had daily U/S to monitor everything.

@KirstenCas. I am so sorry this happened to you, someone dropped the ball big time!  I had bloodwork and U/S the day before my ER and they could tell off of the U/S alone when I needed to start and up my Cetrotide. 

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• yes! definitely should have been checking hormone levels! I can't believe they didn't. not just for ovulation bit to check that you have been over stimulated and at risk of OHSS. I'm so sorry @KirstenCas that you had to deal with such a roller coaster of a ride this cycle. I hope you stand your ground - although confrontation is not my strong point - definitely question why no bloodwork was done at your regular scans. if they're slacking off in this area, they could be slacking off in other areas of treatment. was this your first cycle? 
    **TW**
    Me & DH - 31
    TTC since December 2011
    Diagnosis: Unexplained, although mild polycystic ovaries (not syndrome) and irregular cycles
    2013/14: 6 rounds clomid,
    Aug 2015: IVF #1 = Antagonist Cycle: 100 Puregon and Orgalutran
                                     21 eggs collected, only 1 viable embryo, transferred but BFN
    July/Aug 2016: IVF #2 (with acupuncture) = 87.5 Gonal F and Synarel Spray 2xdaily
                                          ER 8/8, transferred 1 day 5 blastocyst 13/8, 2 frosties.
                                          Beta #1 = 85  Beta #2 = 242
                                          EDD 1st May 2017 *Baby Boy*

• @Hoping4Success   They only checked my LH once a couple of weeks before my retrieval.  During the week leading up to retrieval, I was in for bloodwork and US every other day.  They were checking my estrogen level and looking for OHSS.  My RE told me they can see it coming based on these tests.  Then they knew when to tell me to begin my Cetrotide injections (I had to have the first dose with me at all times because I never knew when they'd tell me I needed to start it right then) to keep me from prematurely ovulating.

Me: 35 DH: 41, Married since 2009

TTC since June 2012

Aug. 2012: CP

2013 Several cycles of TI with Clomid = BFN

Feb. 2014: IUI = BFN

June 2014: IUI w/Clomid = BFN

Jul. 2014: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN

Apr. 2016: Consult to begin IVF

May 2016 TI w/Follistim and Ovidrel = BFN

Jul. 2016: BCPs, baby aspirin, Vitamin D, COQ10, DHEA, Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide, Novarel, Leuprolide Acetate: 21 eggs retrieved, (10 w/ ICSI, 11 w/conv. IVF) 13 fertilized

Jul. 2016: Endometrin, Fresh Transfer 2AB = CP

7 frozen

Oct. 2016: BCPs, baby aspirin, Estradiol, PIO, FET 4AA = CP

6 frozen

Nov. 2016: Hospitalized for small bowel obstruction

Mar. 2017: Diagnostic Laparoscopy = Twist found in intestine - part of small intestine, part of colon, and appendix removed, bowel resection - caused by Endometriosis

May 2017: 3.75 Lupron Depot

June 2017: FET postponed due to complex cysts in breasts

June 2017: Endometrial scratch

Jul. 2017: Baby aspirin, Estradiol, PIO, FET 4AA (lost 1 4AA in thaw) = CP

4 frozen

Sept. 2017: ERA testing

Oct. 2017: Breast cysts biopsied

Dec. 2017: FET

• During my IVF fresh round they had me in to monitor my BW and complete USs at least 3-4 times before ER to check both hormones for Ovulation and estrogen levels to see about OHSS. By them monitoring me closely they knew that I was going to have OHSS even before I had my ER. The Dr walked in the room calling it a freeze all based on bw alone. @KirstenCas I too have been keeping up with your story on the other boards we're on and my heart just aches for you. I would feel so betrayed by my team of Dr.s as they are supposed to take control to make sure those things DON'T happen. Fight for your cycle and fight to get a refund because you absolutely deserve it and they owe you a lot more than money!! You are in my heart girlie.
    Me: 29 DH:38
    First RE Consult 3/9/2016
    IVF ER 5/5/2016
    23 eggs retrieved; 15 mature; 8 developed to embryos; 6 frozen day 5; 2 frozen day 6
    Transfer canceled OHSS
    FET #1 6/2/2016 transferred 2 embryos
    Beta #1 6/15/2016 BFN
    FET #2 8/1/2016 transferred last 2 embryos (lost 4 in the thaw)
    Beta #1 8/12/16 BFN
    IVF #2: Started stims 12/2 
    ER #2 12/14/2016; 16 follies retrieved, 8 fertilized to day 1, 4 frozen day 5, and 1 frozen day 6
    Praying my frosties are strong through the next thaw FX
    FET # 3 2/07/2017 2 embabies thawed 2 embabies transferred
    2/14/2017 *TW* First ever BFP
    Beta #1 2/20/2017 277 Beta #2 2/23/2017 8,945...did I hear you right!
    3/10/2017 One beating heart HR 168!! So very happy
    3/10/2017 Official graduate from Jones Institute for Reproductive Health!! Couldn't help but cry
    6/8/2017 Anatomy Scan proves ITS A GIRL! 
    10/30/17 An angel was Born; Riley Charlize 7:50 AM my heart is so full
    *Praying that 3 is our charm*

• Thank you all so much for being so kind. I'm only now starting to feel better about the whole thing. I thought I should update you :) So I talked to my RE and you could tell by her voice that she knew this was wrong. She explained that Ganirelix doesn't work for 5% of people and since my follies were still growing she didn't have any bloodwork to check progesterone (my estradiol would have come back weird from the amount of clomid i was taking). She also says that she wishes she had had it checked, she's incredibly sorry and she know that this is not  okay. I wasn't changed anything for the retrieval.

So I'm waiting for AF, and trying to decide if I should go to a new RE. I really like mine and she has been consulting with other doc on using a microdose flare lupron/clomid hybrid cycle, something similar to mini-ivf (which would cost less in meds.) But I just don't know.

I just feel like everyone in the office feels sorry for me now and I don't like that much. I wish this whole thing wasn't so hard, for me, and for you all too!
    IVF #1 scheduled May 2016 - 375/525 follistim, 75 menopur - cancelled cycle Day 6
    IVF#3 scheduled August 2016 - estrogen & testosterone primed for 3 wks - ganirelix 7 days leading up to stim - 500 follistim, 75 menopur, 150 clomid , no follicle growth on day 6, stopped injectibles. Scanned day 9 just to check, some growth, 3 days 200 mg clomid, day 12 more growth, 100 follistim, 75 menopur, start ganirelix on day 13, ER = 0 eggs, ovulated to soon ( :( )
    IVF#4 scheduled Sept 2016 - Microdose Flare protocol, cancelled stim day 6 converted to IUI (one dominant follicle)  :(  IUI cancelled ovulated too soon again. Taking a mental health break.

• @KirstenCas I'm so sorry that happened to you.  Are they refunding you for the medication or offering to help pay for the next?  $5,000 is a lot and it seems only fair they'd help out since it was their mistake.  Again, so sorry you had to go through that for nothing.  :(
  • @KirstenCas Sounds like they are trying to meet you half way and are at least owning some errors on their part.   Glad you are coming to peace with it and I hope whatever decision you make for the next one that it is successful.
    Me: 41  DH: 44  DD: 9
    IVF: ER 7/16 40 follies, 23 eggs, 19 mature,
    12 fert w/icsi, 6 blasts, 3 PGS norm, 1 unknown.

FET: 9/1/16 transferred 1 CP beta 5.9
    FET 2: 11/15/16 transferred 1 CP again!
    FET 3: TBD

• KirstenCasKirstenCas member
    edited August 2016
    I'm jumping in feet first! Starting a Microdose Lupron Flare protocol this week!  Yikes! I'm really excited. It's with my current doc, I decided not to switch. I'm thinking I may get extra special treatment.

Again, thank you all for getting me over that patch. Good luck on your journeys!

***edit*** I joined the Sept/Oct boards if ever you want to chat :)