October 2015 Moms

FFFC

So its been a while since we've done one. The board was active for a hot second and has cooled off again but...I have a confession.

I tried to take a super cute selfie of my LO and I snuggling in our bed last night (we don't co-sleep so this is rare)....And I dropped the phone on his head. He cried immediately and I thought it scared him more than anything. Got up this morning and he's got a nice size bruise on his forehead. Poor guy. He will be fine but I felt like a total ass. Injury by selfie = #momfail 

Come on ladies...fess up!

Re: FFFC

• Not a confession as much as a rant. I pretty much got laid off today. I notified my boss of my return date from Mat leave (we get a year in Canada), and they're not renewing my contract. I'm basically getting laid off bc I had a baby, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it legally bc I was a contract employee. 

My my son was totally worth losing my job, but I am still livid
  • My confession is I totally need a break! Like if I could disappear for an entire week I'd be in heaven! I want no contact with anyone just the radio, books, a bed, etc. 

and a vent...I ordered a Vermont teddy bear for SO for our anniversary. They had a great coupon on the website, $50 off!! So I spent $20 including shipping. They were supposed to arrive yesterday but they only shipped today. Of course the company got slammed with the coupon they put out but they shouldn't have said dates if they couldn't fulfill it, or at least sent bout emails saying production was behind. I ugly cried for twenty minutes when I got off the phone realizing his surprise wouldn't be here in time :-(
  • Loading the player...
  • FatPony said:
    Not a confession as much as a rant. I pretty much got laid off today. I notified my boss of my return date from Mat leave (we get a year in Canada), and they're not renewing my contract. I'm basically getting laid off bc I had a baby, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it legally bc I was a contract employee. 

My my son was totally worth losing my job, but I am still livid
    I've never posted here before, but decided to take a look at this board for support. The EXACT same thing just happened to me. I'm also in Canada and after informing my boss of my return date (supposed to be September 19th) I got a letter in the mail basically saying they're firing me by not renewing my contract. Just like you, legally there's not much I can do because I was also under contract. I can't believe it. Yes my son was absolutely worth it, but I'm outraged that I lose my job after working there for almost 10 years just because after always working 50+ hours a week, I decided to focus on myself and my family and have a baby. I hope we both find something much better soon! 
  • FatPonyFatPony member
    edited August 2016
    @jmallard1 - I know, what the f*ck, right???? Now I regret working so hard there and pulling everyone else's weight. I could've easily done dick-all and gotten away with it. They're keeping shitty people, and that's the part I'm furious about. I hope that company goes down in flames. 

What part art of the country are you working in? I'm in small town Alberta, where there are no jobs in my (white collar) field to be found. So I guess I'm a stay at home mom now, what the shit. Good thing I have a science degree (angry sarcasm). 

Sorry for the rant. I am so done with today. 
  • @FatPony by all means rant away, I know exactly how you feel! When I gave birth my (now former...) boss sent me a bunch of flowers and kept telling me how he was looking forward to when I would be back, bla, bla, bla... All AFTER my contract (SUPPOSEDLY) expired. Before I went on mat leave I was told by HR my contract would be suspended until I came back, but he says it expired DURING my mat leave and decided not to renew it... And decided to wait 9 months before telling me.... By letter! No phone call, no meeting. A effing letter in the mail. I was furious. I also gave everything I had to that job and them all going down in flames is the bare minimum I hope for!! (All the rest is highly illegal!). When my boss was on sick leave for over 6 months after an appendicitis I had to do his job and mine with NO help... I never asked anything in return, no raise, no vacation time.. I feel so betrayed. 

I'm in Quebec and there are also no jobs to be found in my field because of all the budget cuts the provincial government has been imposing (I work in health care). I really hope your science degree allows you to find something better soon. As much as I'd love to be a stay at home mom with my boy, SO can't afford the mortgage on his own.  

I say we drink wine tonight. Lots and lots of wine! 
  • FatPonyFatPony member
    edited August 2016
    @jmallard1 - wow, that is a super dick move on your boss' part. At least there was nothing personal about mine, that company is just stupid and cheap. 

At least next year our child benefits will go up. You know, like a year after we really need the money. Thanks Trudeau (not). 

Anyway, sounds like we're both getting drunk tonight!
  • @FatPony any boss that lays off an employee during or at the end of mat leave is a dick, no matter how cheap the company is!

Hey, at least all the stress has made me lose the rest of my baby weight... And then some! Gotta stay positive right?! (pours myself a second glass of wine...)

Maybe Trudeau can send us some of his child benefits he doesn't need!
  • @kaseyhunter85 Lol, poor baby. Now for my confession: Yesterday, I did not notice that the dog took off with baby's cooler while I was packing his bag. Thankfully, I did notice it missing when I went to drop him offf and had a spare jar of peaches in the car, but that and a little rice was all that I had to leave for him.