Breastfeeding
Options

Distracted Breastfeeding, 11 month old

Hi Mamas:
I am still breastfeeding my 11 month old son.  I just recently started having a very hard time getting him take his breast milk before bedtime.  He usually drinks milk at 7:30 and goes down at 8:30.  Recently, he will only latch on for a few minutes at a time and then will come off and want to crawl away play.  He will go on like this for up to 1 1/2 hours, not really drinking much until he is completely exhausted.  He will drink more milk when he is worn out but that is past his usual bed time.  I have considered giving him a later bed time and letting him play later, but that doesn't seem quite right as he already goes to bed kind of late.  I know wanting to play is very normal at this age.  Does anyone have any advice as to how I should adjust my routine to better meet his needs?  Also, I don't plan to wean any time soon.  I plan to let him wean naturally or due to a second pregnancy.  I have read/heard that babies this age can give the impression they want to wean but that babies rarely self wean before 18 months.  Any advice will be much appreciated.

Re: Distracted Breastfeeding, 11 month old

• Options
    I'm pretty sure my ds went through this at that age or around it and I was scared he was weaning but it could be a number of thing like you said he's just distracted he's at that age where he is grasping everything around him or it could be his teeth. Maybe just try nursing him a little later closer to his bed time like around 8 instead. I don't have a ton of advice but its probably just a phase. Just keep offering and stick to your routine what does he play inbetween your nursing session and bed ? When my ds went through this I usually just would nurse him to sleep I know that isn't everyone's choice but just in my experience if he was done nursing and wanted to play he would just have quite time in his crib or we would read a book and I kept the lights off otherthan a distant light for dimming. He grew out of it quickly and he's 22 months now and still nurses 3 sometimes 4 times a day.
  • Options
    Also what time are his naps or nap? Maybe if he is still napping twice cut one out if he's ready or if its a late nap push it a little earlier to ensure he is tired for bed time and will be reading to nurse and sleep. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am at this exact stage. We are 11 Months and still nursing. I have found a little help with the teething necklace (or anything really) around my neck, or the tag of my shirt or strap of my nursing bra if I point it out he will stay occupied and stay latched.  However when that stops working I switch positions...we are usually belly to belly but then ill flip him to the football hold and he will finish that way -- I think he Is able to see more outward so he "isn't missing anything."  I have also resorted to reading books with him while hes nursing (again in the football hold) we will read a short little book and talk about the pictures.. so he nurses and reads.. ha not sure if that is way over board but it works for us :)
  • Options
    Maybe try waiting to nurse him at 8:30 when you put him down for bed?  I hope you find a solution!