September 2016 Moms
Options

Blood Cord Banking

Any mommies out there considering or have banked their babies blood cord? I am considering it any feedback would be appreciate it.

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Blood Cord Banking

• Options
    We decided not to do it.

here is an article from lucie's list-  article
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Options
    My midwife advised us to put our money into a college savings account instead.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

@kosmo86 - Thank you for the article just finished reading it... Glad to know the true facts and stats of it all.

@Sbrown721 - I agree adding more to my baby's savings account wouldn't hurt at all.

Thank you ladies

Have a wonderful Tuesday.

• Options
    RG1RG1 member
    I listened to a great episode of the Pregnancy Podcast on this topic that was neutral and unbiased, so it was great at presenting the facts. I recommend it! 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    We donated ours both times.
  • Options

I had a childhood illness that was difficult to treat.

We had not considered cord blood banking at all, but then my husband asked whether it might be beneficial given my previous medical history, so we are looking into it.

I found a site that listed all the current trials/tests/therapies for cord blood - https://parentsguidecordblood.org/en/diseases

I didn't know that some only apply if the individual has their own cord blood, and some are from donated cord blood (has to be a match).

Bottom line - I've gotten back in touch with my childhood doctor to see if she thinks it would be worthwhile to bank our baby's cord blood. I have no idea what she'll say, but we figured it was worth a shot.

• Options
    We are doing it for the sole reason that it couldn't hurt to have it banked. Hopefully we never have to use it for anything 
  • Options
    frogdog06frogdog06 member
    edited July 2016
    How can we donate??

We've also opted against it due to the cost, but it doesn't stop ViaCord from harassing me via home phone, cell phone, and email.
  • Options
    JennM205JennM205 member
    edited July 2016
    @frogdog06 Ask your OB about donation options in your area! Unfortunately, not all hospitals participate in cord blood donation programs but if they do, they will most likely have a single agency they work with and can point you in the right direction.

But do it soon! In my experience, the donation agencies aren't super speedy with the registration process and it can take weeks. (The amount of work you have to do is minimal - maybe a 20min online questionnaire - but getting the paperwork through on their end after that seems to take a while.)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    frogdog06 said:
    How can we donate??

We've also opted against it due to the cost, but it doesn't stop ViaCord from harassing me via home phone, cell phone, and email.
    We went to the local blood center and they gave us a kit to take with us to the hospital.  I was there for maybe 15-20 minutes to fill out a questionnaire and pick up the bag.  I went a couple weeks before I was due.  I kept it next to my hospital bag and we took it with us when we went.  Easy peasy.
  • Options
    miam4miam4 member
    We saved DD and we are going to save DS as well. We see it like an insurance: we have for prevention, and we hope never need to use it! DD pediatrician told me before she was born "if you have money to do it, great! Do it!"
    We prefer to invest and save it just in case.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    RG1RG1 member
    The podcast I listened to brought up the recommendations from the American Academy Pediatrics (found here: https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/119/1/165). The most interesting point I read was "Cord blood donation should be discouraged when cord blood stored in a bank is to be directed for later personal or family use, because most conditions that might be helped by cord blood stem cells already exist in the infant’s cord blood". They recommend public banks. If you scroll down on that link, you can read the other recommendations from them. Its an interesting topic!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I was originally against it.  Then a member of my temple's husband died of leukemia.  He may not have been cured with his own or a family's stem cells, but, I know his wife would have tried anything.  My husband and I discussed it, and it came down to this: if either of us or one of our children developed a disease that is showing promising results through stem cells could we forgive ourselves for not banking? We decided to privately bank.
  • Options

Thank you ladies for adding to this discussion.

Greatly appreciate it.

• Options

@kosmo86 - Thank you for the article just finished reading it... Glad to know the true facts and stats of it all.

@Sbrown721 - I agree adding more to my baby's savings account wouldn't hurt at all.

Thank you ladies

Have a wonderful Tuesday.

Our hospital had a bank that they use for research and donating to kids who need it. We are going that route. 
  • Options
    We are doing the private banking. we were told by the doctor and a couple of other sources that if we had the resources to do it, then we should do it. Hope to never need it!  
  • Options
    I looked into public banking but my hospital would have to be a designated site and it isn't so we didn't and we aren't.

BabyFruit Ticker

November Siggy Challenge: Selfie Fails

Hidden for the sake of your eyes!

• Options
    We decided to privately bank blood and tissue. My doc also said if you can afford to do it there is no downside. There are so many new uses they are discovering for stem cells, we thought it was worth the money- plus we did it in July and it was discounted $400!
  • Options
    Did anyone register with CBR or cryocell? If you refer me, both of us get additional discount. .
  • Options
    I actually just found out at my birthing class on Sunday that my hospital does a public cord blood bank, where you can donate into it, and then if you or anyone in your family needs it in the future, you have access to all that is in the bank. I think we'll definitely be doing that, because I like the idea of donating to something that many people could benefit from. The cost of private blood banking is just too great for us, maybe see if your hospital offers a similar program? 
  • Options
    No, we will not be banking. Lots of money spent for, as of now, no gain. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We're donating... I think... I never got my kit. I should probably check on that like, now. I am delivering at a huge baby factory hospital that still makes it annoying hard to donate. They push one of the big banks so my suspicious mind wonders if there's some financial incentive to discourage donation.