February 2017 Moms

Has anyone discussed cloth diapers vs. regular diapers with their SO?

Re: Has anyone discussed cloth diapers vs. regular diapers with their SO?

• We were forced in to doing cloth with #4 because two of my older kids have contact allergies to wheat/gluten.  We couldn't find a single sposie that didn't have wheat in it and I can't have something in the house that will make either of them really sick.  We ended up loving CDs and are excited to do it again with this baby.  Since #4 though we upgraded to front loaders and dh doesn't want to deal with adding big wet towels to each diaper load, so we bought a Samsung Baby Care Washer:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KNNOIWU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for not wanting to deal with poopy CDs, you're already having to clean it off the baby, spraying it down is way easier than that.  No biggie.
    Expecting #5
    Rainbow baby after 3 losses
    Due February, 2017

• @LaurenAshley04 I use cloth pads too and found it has made a huge difference.   
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We used cloth with our first. We will use cloth again with this one. The washing wasn't a big deal at all. My DH has always been pretty easy going and didn't have an issue with using cloth. I did the majority of the washing (I do in general anyway), but he helped when I needed him too.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• @Starfish113 I use to have a front loading HE and it never used enough water to really clean the diapers. Now I have an older model top loader and I don't find it necessary anymore, I just run a bigger load size.
    I did the opposite! I had a top loader and then it died and we got an HE. So I went from tonssss of water to "how do I make this work?" Haha
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • FTM here-- we're going to do CDs but I'm totally overwhelmed by the options (what type do you use, prefolds? pockets? inserts? all in one? how many do you need? how well do they grow with baby?) Anyone have a cloth diapers 101 resource?
  • @Gretchypoo if you go to the cloth diapering board they have a lot of resources posted there!! I personally think that pockets are the easiest to start with. 
  • @Gretchypoo I used one size pocket diapers from the time that my daughter was about 6 weeks to the time she started to potty train at 3 years old. I also used them on my son for a few months before he potty trained. They have completely different body types (ds is long and skinny, dd is more of a chunky monkey) and the same diapers worked for both. It's all about getting the snaps in the right setting so you don't have gaps around the legs or the rise too high or low.
    I had I think 25-30 diapers for the two kids and I washed every other day.
    Married 5/29/09
    DS 8/10/2010 8lbs 6oz
    DD 11/28/2012 8lbs 7oz
    It's a Girl! Due 2/5/2017
  • What brand pockets do you love?
  • For pockets, we loved Bum Genius.  I have a stash of mostly 3.0 with some 4.0 (I have no idea what they are on now, lol).  The velcro ones went on and off so much like a regular diaper so they were easy for other people to change them.   The velcro did wear down a bit over time, and with my youngest I much preferred snaps. 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I started with pockets and kind of branched out to fitted from there.  I LOVE fitteds over pockets but everyone likes different things.  Pockets are easy because you just stuff with the inserts and put on.  I also much preferred snaps to velcro.  Some brands have really bad velcro (BG is notorious for this - unless they have changed things in the last year or so).

For pockets I have mostly BG and Kawaii.   
  • I used sunbaby mostly. But I also had some Alva's, bum genius and a few kawaii.
    I got rid of my entire stash after dd potty trained because we weren't having anymore. Now I have to buy everything all over (diapers, wet bags, pail liners, etc). 
    Married 5/29/09
    DS 8/10/2010 8lbs 6oz
    DD 11/28/2012 8lbs 7oz
    It's a Girl! Due 2/5/2017
  • I have bought a wide variety of brands... some based on sales, others based on styles I wanted to try or recommendations. I figure if I like some better than others, I can always sell the ones I don't love.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • I agree that snaps are better as they get older. For pockets I liked Bum Genius and Thirsties
  • We CD until about 18 months and then daycare wouldn't allow so we switched back to disposables. Now we're starting to transition since I'm back to being a SAHM but my question is about wipes. For those of you that have done this for years what have you found to be best? We used disposable wipes and threw them into a separate trash but I know others have luck with cloth wipes. What was your wipe situation? 
  • We CD until about 18 months and then daycare wouldn't allow so we switched back to disposables. Now we're starting to transition since I'm back to being a SAHM but my question is about wipes. For those of you that have done this for years what have you found to be best? We used disposable wipes and threw them into a separate trash but I know others have luck with cloth wipes. What was your wipe situation? 
    Ugh that's a bummer! Our center was okay with them, MA state laws just require a container with a locking lid for them. 

but we did cloth wipes too. I made my own solution... It's been years but it was like 8ozs water, 1oz baby shampoo, and 1oz olive oil or something. Then I just washed them with the CDs and stacked them in a wipes container. I will definitely do that again too!
    We used cloth wipes. My first had horribly sensitive skin and our doctor recommended we not use disposable wipes. We would just wet our wipes with water. I found mixing a solution was a pain.

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• We did CD with DD from about 1mo in or so until she potty trained. Thankfully, I got mostly gender neutral diapers so we can use with our next kid too. We'll probably do the same use disposables for a month and then switch once they are big enough for cloth diapers (around 8lbs) then we'll use those. We did it mainly for the savings and believe me, two kids using the same diapers we bought for maybe $350-400 is a helluvalot of savings ;)
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
    We used cloth wipes. My first had horribly sensitive skin and our doctor recommended we not use disposable wipes. We would just wet our wipes with water. I found mixing a solution was a pain.
    We did the same. It was super easy to just wash it all together vs having to go buy some. We just wet ours with water and called it good.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • We did sposies with DS and will do them again with this one.  I researched both options and honestly, while cloth may save some money, it's a lot of extra work and I'm just not into it.  

I don't want to wash shit. I just want to wipe it off an ass and throw it in the garbage ASAP.
    This. Even though I have several friends IRL who were and/or still are all about cloth. They LOVED it. And even though financially we should do it, I just don't wanna. I'm all set. The last place we lived also didn't even have any coin ops or w/d hookups so to the laundromat we went and for all I know we could end up in another place similar so yeah... No.
  • We did cloth wipes too.  I used a wipes warmer, sometimes, where wipes were soaked in a solution similar to above.   Just baby shampoo, baby oil and water.  When that was a pain, I used a spray bottle with the solution and then just tossed the wipes in the diaper pail.

I am a non sewer, but my mom helped and we just made all of ours.   
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • MedicMomma84MedicMomma84 member
    edited August 2016
    Thank you to all of you ladies who responded! This definitely helped me and I am more confident now that we can make this work. I have read a few posts out there on the interwebz that disposables are great for overnights initially and for long trips. I think I'm going to try to stick to mostly CD's with disposables as back up. :smiley:

@yogadevil It's funny you mention that your husband is an EMT. I am a Paramedic and I have the same view on bodily fluids (no big deal) and although you would think my DH would be used to it as well (he is PD) ....not so much. LOL
  • I went to a baby store this weekend and saw the diapers in person... it was so nice to be able to touch and compare and also talk to someone knowledgeable at the same time. It was super helpful and now I'm so excited. 
  • Any of you like me who are planning on doing cloth diapers for the first time, I found an awesome youtuber who has a great series about cloth diapering. I watched the whole series, and actually a lot of other people's videos too, but this is a good place to start and made me feel sooooo much more comfortable with it. If you look up NaturallyThriftyMom and go to her Cloth Diapering 101 playlist and just start from the beginning.

DH wants to cloth diaper to save money and I was feeling super overwhelmed by the thought of it, especially because this is our first kid and I'm pretty much overwhelmed by all of it in general, lol. This board is actually what inspired me to go do some more research, because even with all the awesome STM knowledge we have here, just reading these posts talking about "prefolds, pockets, etc" I was like....huh? I had no idea what any of it meant, and I needed some explanations with visuals. I found these videos to be super helpful and I'm starting to come up with a plan for what I want my stash to contain :)

(edited to clarify)
    That is an awesome link! Thank you so much for it I am sure it will be ridiculously useful to DH and I. Bookmarked to watch after work tomorrow :)
  • @pennylucille thank you for that resource! I watched the series tonight and feel SO MUCH BETTER. I was feeling super overwhelmed but now I feel like I know the basics and can ask less stupid questions.

I sent the link to Hubs and even my mom. THANK YOU!
  • There's also fluff love university where you can look up your washer and find a specific wash routine for it!
  • There's also fluff love university where you can look up your washer and find a specific wash routine for it!
    ooh! looking now :-)
  • @Gretchypoo Awesome! I'm glad it was helpful
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Experienced cloth diaper peeps, do you keep your dirty diapers in a closed wet bag, in an open pail with a liner, or something in between? The internet seems pretty split on which option is best for minimizing smells and washing issues.
  • That's what I was leaning towards @WinchesterGirl. Can't decide whether to keep it in the nursery or bathroom though (they're tight next to each other). 

Cute, what brand are those? I'm buying a little each paycheck and just placed my second order. So much fun. 
  • @Xstatic3333 The lady I spoke with at the store said just use a trash can or a diaper pail lined with a washable bag. I'm going to start out with that attempt because it seems super simple. 
  • @Xstatic3333 They are Ragababe brand.... pretty pricey compared to other options, but they get Rave reviews. I have to say, they are extremely well made from what I can tell.
  • Experienced cloth diaper peeps, do you keep your dirty diapers in a closed wet bag, in an open pail with a liner, or something in between? The internet seems pretty split on which option is best for minimizing smells and washing issues.
    I used an open large hanging wetbag the entire time DD was in diapers, her room never smelled like dirty diapers.

Also if anyone is looking for great reviews on cloth diapers Dirty Diaper Laundry on YouTube has reviewed virtually every cloth diaper ever made. She's a great resource.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I've bought two so far. But now that I know it's a girl I can go crazy!
  • I may have gone a little overboard... I started buying them a few a paycheck when we were talking about/starting TTC so my stash is already pretty huge. 

Also I know this sounds bat crap crazy, but I'm really looking forward to starting all the pre-washes. Somehow that seems to signify that a baby is really coming and is finally going to use them!
  • @Xstatic3333 My SIL used a flip top regular trash can (inexpensive kind with the foot lever) lined with a large elastic top wet bag. Before putting a diaper in she gave it a squirt or two with bac-out, and she washed every 2-3 days. There was never a smell in the nursery. 

ETA: I got fluff mail this week! I'm so excited!

The one on the left is SOOOO CUTE! It reminds me of Rainbow Brite
    Pregnancy Ticker
    We always used a wet bag. The only issues with smell is when you open it, but otherwise it's contained. I just wash the same as I do the diapers on the wash day and then air dry or you can dry on a low heat. If you dry on high heat, the inside lining will get overheated and bunch up. The overheating is really the only issue I've had with the wetbags. I will say that from when DD was a month old to when she potty trained, the wet bag was pretty worn out by the end. I tossed it once she was fully potty trained, but it lasted all throughout that time. I already went ahead and bought the ones we'll need for this baby. We just had a big one & a medium one for diaper bag.
  • There are so many options of type and brands, how does one pick without getting overwhelmed and spending all their money?
    J (Ma--I'm the one posting) & E (Mommy--I'm the one carrying)

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker