Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Fifths disease, heat rash, eczema, skin irritation?

It's too late to go to the doctor today, but I'm hoping on of you mamas may know what this is. From my research, it sorta looks like Fifths. I'm really hoping not... I had hand, foot, and mouth while I was prego and fifths seems a lot like it. Anyway. So far it's just on his face. I know you all are not train professionals (well some of you might be I suppose), but just curious if you even think a trip to the doctor's tomorrow is worth it or if we should wait it out. He really doesn't have any other symptoms other than this rash.

Re: Fifths disease, heat rash, eczema, skin irritation?

• DD (5 months) had a very similar rash on her face that I was worried was Fifths. I didn't take her to the pediatrician (though a call never hurts) and it cleared up within a few days. My guess on hers is maybe from the sun even though I'm extremely careful about that. I made sure to put Mustela face cream on her for a few days and haven't seen it since. 
  • SmrBrd2012SmrBrd2012 member
    edited July 2016
    My son used to get rashes on his cheeks like this when he was around 6 months. We never quite figured out why but it would always go away and now it doesn't happen at all. It seemed to happen after eating. Could be an allergic reaction or food sensitivity or something. I'm not sure familiar with HFM but I thought that was smaller spots and not really a big rash like that.
  • Loading the player...
  • @korpatch did you ever figure out what the rash was?
  • @runningwild  Absolutely no idea! I put eczema cream on it several times a day for several days. It cleared up but will still look red after a good cry.
    It's so sweet of youo check! He has his four month check up (way late) on Wednesday and I'm sure it will be brought up then.
  • Looks like ezcema to me. What's the texture? I have ezcema on my fingers and my second had it once but on her cheeks. It looked exactly like that. The cold weather was her trigger. I put ezcema cream from the cortisone brand. But you have to be careful with creams. Definitly ask a dr to make sure.