Babies on the Brain

Going to FL, There's a Zika Travel Warning, And I Want A Baby....

My family is all in FL, so taking advantage my kids are still on summer vaca, and taking them down there to have family time. And, recently there's been a travel warning for zika in Miami. My parents are in West Palm Beach, which is over an hour from Miami, but still. My husband and I don't plan on trying til Fall of next year, but we have to go down to FL again in April of next year for my best friend's wedding. I know Zika stays in your system for some time though. THAT is what scares me. If we were to get bitten in April, I don't know if it would still somewhat be in our system by Sept/Oct of next year....but either way, I WANT confirmation that it is NOT. I don't want to assume we're in the clear, try for a baby, and then find out some bad news. Has anyone requested a blood test if you've traveled to an area w zika, just to make sure you are in the clear before trying? Not sure if my doctor would think I'm crazy. I just don't want any regrets, and want peace of mind before we do try...
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Going to FL, There's a Zika Travel Warning, And I Want A Baby....

• I think (I could be wrong) that I read somewhere that it stays in men's system longer (still matters since it can be sexually transmitted) and I want to say they said 6 months. So if you wait 6 months after traveling there, you should be ok. Now I could be wrong, so definitely do your research or ask your doctor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also, there are different things you can do to avoid getting bitten. There are some vitamins you can take that supposedly help but also where insect repellent.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @borgie05 thanks for your response. Yeah I am all ready with my repellent. Saw that the best all natural one was Repel Lemon Eucalyptus. Have done some more research, and starting to think Zika which has been around for 70 years, is bs. I think it's chemically related. Whether it be in water or food in the affected countries.
  • I have not requested a blood test and we just got back from vacation to an area with zika virus.  I have done a lot of looking on the CDC website, (I have also talked about it with my doctor,) and it recommends waiting 8 weeks after symptoms start for women, and 6 months after symptoms start for men.  If men have no symptoms, TTC can begin after 8 weeks. 

That being said, I treated our clothing with permethrin, used Repel lemon eucalyptus, DEET wipes, and regular bug spray regularly, and still was bitten by bugs.  I still think following the current guidelines, that you would be OK to try when you want to.
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited August 2016
    @Fergiegal There are no guarantees and researchers haven't been looking into it for long. My doc said wait 6 months even if there aren't symptoms. My friend's doc said wait 3 months. CDC says 2 months. Her friend was told she could pay $500 for testing each if she and her hubby wanted to get tested. It won't be covered by insurance since she isn't already pregnant. You can't even try to lie about being pregnant because they will do that test first. That being said, you only have 20% chance of getting pregnant each month, and you have even less of a chance of getting Zika, much less Zika with microcephaly. The docs say it's out of your blood within 2 weeks, but can stay in semen for up to 6 months.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • $500 for testing! How ridiculous is that rate. Just to draw some blood! Clearly this zika thing is a man-made disease to bank on. I have to go back to FL in April for a wedding with my husband. We don't plan on trying til probably October/November of next year. So hopefully if we do get bit by then, it'll be out of our systems by then.
  • hupp0013 said:
    I have not requested a blood test and we just got back from vacation to an area with zika virus.  I have done a lot of looking on the CDC website, (I have also talked about it with my doctor,) and it recommends waiting 8 weeks after symptoms start for women, and 6 months after symptoms start for men.  If men have no symptoms, TTC can begin after 8 weeks. 

That being said, I treated our clothing with permethrin, used Repel lemon eucalyptus, DEET wipes, and regular bug spray regularly, and still was bitten by bugs.  I still think following the current guidelines, that you would be OK to try when you want to.
    Thanks for this! Best of luck to you and your hubby!
  • what are these vitamins?