October 2016 Moms

UPDATE WWYD: dog problems

kmvisiolikmvisioli member
edited May 2016 in October 2016 Moms
Let me start by saying we love our pet, and have taken good care of our rescue pup for the past 5 years, so this is not something trivial or light for us.

Here's the deal: Our dog is a rescue, and has his set of quirks and issues. One of those is that he is not great with kids, especially toddlers. With our 1-yr-old I basically have to always be in the same room as the two of them, just in case, as we have already had a couple of snapping incidents. With twins coming in the fall, I know I will not be able to referee between dog and toddler plus two newborns, and frankly it is already frustrating and stressing me out thinking about how to manage those dynamics. My H travels for work, so he is gone for 2-weeks at a time frequently, which means the usual attention and exercise the dog gets is gone.

I feel like the most fair thing for our dog is to find a new home for him, so he is not just always getting yelled at and sent outside. My H wants to give it time because he thinks we can manage it. I feel like the bad guy trying taking his dog away, which is awful. What would you do??

UPDATE: Otis was boarded the other day while some reno work was done at the house. After seeing how relaxed and happy he was there, and how much less stressful our day at home was, my mind is made up to find a new home for him. I also noticed that he has developed a bad anxiety habit recently- he has been licking his paws so much that he has created little bald spots and sores

Re: UPDATE WWYD: dog problems

• @kmvisioli this is a tough issue, but you've obviously put a lot of thought into it and I think you should trust your instincts.  I think it's unfair of your husband to make you feel guilty.  It sounds like with his travels, he isn't the one who has to deal with the dog most of the time.  I'd say if you can find a home for the dog with someone you know and who will let your husband visit, that would be the best bet, but, if not, you should still re-home the dog.
  • Loading the player...
  • kmallskmalls member
    I agree with @ignoscemihi. Your husband needs to try to see your point of view: you're stressed out from trying to keep both your toddler and dog safe from each other, and with two more on the way the situation is just going to escalate. If he's not around all the time to help, I don't think he should have an equal vote in this.

It's true that a tired dog is a calm dog, so in some cases I think doggie daycare is a good solution, but that won't fix a dog that is nervous around kids. A behaviorist is also a good option, however you need to have the time to reinforce all the tools s/he gives you in order to make that work -- which I know for me, is basically impossible. 

Rehoming your dog through a reputable rescue is nothing to be ashamed about. I'd do some research, figure out what your options are and then present them to your husband as "here's what we can do, and this is what I feel makes everyone safe." 

Good luck, and keep us updated! 
  • Let me clarify that my husband is not doing anything to make me feel bad, besides just feeling sad that we may have to say goodbye to our pup. He has agreed that it would take a lot of stress off me, which is better for everyone, but disagrees that rehoming is a necessity.

@samkins Yes, Otis always does so much better when we are able to give him plenty of attention and exercise! Sending him somewhere else for that would just not be our best financial choice at the point, and honestly I don't really see how that is much better than finding him someone who can do that regularly at home for him.
  • rebeccuhrebeccuh member
    edited May 2016
    That's a tough situation and I'm sorry it's one you have to deal with.

Personally, I'd be inclined to give it a little time, but do so knowing that the outcome may not be what I hope. (Although, as a practical matter, maybe it is better to make the decision before you have three tiny kids on your hands.)

It's really, really hard to grapple with idea that the best thing for your animal and your family is to rehome or surrender him. But, it's the compassionate thing to do if that's what it comes to. You're doing it to give your dog the kind of care and attention he needs to be happy and healthy, and to keep your little ones safe, happy and healthy too.

As much as it would hurt to do, I'd rehome him. I'd cry a lot, (like, a lot) but I'd do it.

My parents had to rehome their dog when I was little, actually, because of an accident that wound up with me getting a ton of stitches as a 9 month old. He was a really gentle dog, but I was crawling around and startled him when he was sleeping and he reacted in an instant. They still tear up when they talk about that dog, but in the end it was the best thing for everyone.

Good luck to you no matter what you wind up doing. 

ETA: Good call PPs on the daycare and behaviorist options too!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• blaf322blaf322 member
    I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I'm in your same boat...one of our dogs is not good at all with kids and we expect to have to re-home him. We're devastated at the prospect of this, as I'm sure you are and my husband sounds a lot like yours with regard to the situation so it's going to be a big stress on our relationship as well. If yours is anything like mine, his issue is a lack of trust with little ones that leads to fear bites. No reason behind it, he just doesn't trust and therefore can't be trusted around them. He has been through extensive obedience training and is the most amazingly well behaved dog, unless there's a child around.

All of that said, I think your instinct is correct. If he/she is already not trustworthy around one child, adding additional erratic little ones is going to add to his stress. It's not a good living situation for you or your dog and you need to do what's best for most. 
    Best of luck deciding what to do. I know the stress of that decision is overwhelming so feel free to reach out directly if you need someone to talk to/vent to/stress about it with. :)
  • @rebeccuh See, that is my big concern- It only takes one accident or one minute of not being right there for really devastating things to happen between little ones and a dog.

Thanks for the support ladies- I feel like there is often a lot of criticism of people giving up pets once kids come along. I think if we were just having one new baby, that would be a bit more manageable, but the thought of 3 under 18mos is overwhelming enough.
  • I don't think people with travel jobs should have dogs because it is confusing to their expectations, and essentially the animal can feel a sense of loss every time the human goes away. They don't understand why people leave them. They can get used to routine on a daily basis but not if it changes after weeks and so on. This could be a contributing factor to your dog's behavior. 

That being said, and since you already have the dog, rehoming can be incredibly damaging to an animal's mental health, and has the high potential to negatively impact future adoptability. Especially an instinctively pack animal, like a dog. Adult animals are hard to adopt out, and factors like color (black, mutt, tabby, whatever) can decrease adoptability. Add behavior issues (depression, abandonment, biting) and the likelihood of the dog being adopted becomes very slim. Sad truth: most adult animals who are given to the shelter to be rehomed because of changing circumstances (kids, moving, financial) end up euthanized. People honestly feel they are doing whats best for the animal, because they are doing whats easiest for their family. These are my experiences from working in a shelter environment. 

I would try your hardest to keep the dog, for the dog's sake. Rehoming is not what's best for the dog. Animals take work, and do not adapt to change as quickly and easily as humans do. Work with a behaviorialist. Your older child is getting to the age where he can learn, maybe the hard way, to give the dog space. Hire a daily dog walker, or pay a teenage neighbor. Give the animal routine and someone to bond with on a daily basis, during these turbulent times in your home.
  • kmallskmalls member
    edited May 2016
    @kathleenkat rehoming does not mean dropping the dog off at a shelter, nobody here is advocating that. Reputable rescue organizations place surrendered dogs within approved foster homes specific to each individual case. If a certain behavior means a dog will become a permanent foster (meaning it will never be adopted out), so be it. The dog will still be cared for and will not be at risk of euthanization. I'd honestly take that scenario over a potential biting situation any day. 
  • My sister was bit in the face and almost lost her eye when she was 8 years old. It was my aunts dog. She did not instigate the dog, and the dog was familiar with her, and other children, though there was no children in the home. It just happened that my sister went to all fours to play with our younger brother and the dog got startled and bit her. My aunt refused to rehome the dog for one incident and so we were never allowed to go to her house again.

So that said, especially if your dog is already having trouble nipping there really isn't anything to say he'll stop just because your child gets older. I am a dog lover and have two myself but I have no concerns when it comes to them being around children. They've actually turned into therapy dogs of a sort for my neighbor kids who use to be terrified of dogs (because local people here don't keep dogs as pets). But anyway.

Maybe you can find a new home in a local facebook group or craigslist? Or if you have any friends who are animal-adoption-activists maybe they can help? Unfortunately some dogs just don't do well with kids, it's nothing you or your husband have done wrong. 
    *American lady living in Tanzania.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior.
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB:November 19, 2013)
  • @kathleenkat I definitely see your concern for dogs sent to a shelter, and that is part of why we adopted a shelter rescue (previously abused) to begin with. When I say "rehome" I mean that we would personally find someone who is the right fit for him. I have talked to a couple of friends, as well as the people who take care of him when he is boarded or groomed.
  • I think a dog walker or neighborhood teenager is a great idea. Did you say what kind of dog it is? Big or small? How old? Re-homing is certainly never easy, but I also would try a rescue over a shelter. 

• The dog walker idea is a good one, thanks. @ByeBabyBunting he is a puggle (beagle/pug mix), so high energy but medium size (30lbs), 5 1/2 yrs old. We've had him 5 years.
  • Sorry, my entire post was deleted somehow. 
    Have you looked at petfinder.com? A lot of people look there for dogs. I am a behaviorist, and I can tell you from first hand experience that even with training you will only be managing a problem. No amount of training will change a dog's personality, you can only hope to change the way he reacts to a situation. Even with that training, you can never really trust he will react the way you want. 

From my experience rehoming dogs, the best thing you can do is start looking for a new home now while you are able to keep him with you, and before he has an incident with biting. Once he bites anyone you will have a much more difficult time. You can also give his information to your local shelter but keep him with you, just to broaden your search area.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Just to prepare you, a lot of rescue groups or shelters will be very judgemental about you looking for a new home. Not all dogs are meant to be around kids, just like not all people are meant to be around kids. It doesn't make them bad dogs at all, they just can't easily get labeled that way. Good luck, I hope this helps a little. 
  • I also have a rescue with some issues that we are really trying to work through before our baby comes. We seem to be making progress so I'm hopeful that we can all live happily together. I feel an extra responsibility to her because she only does well with me. She won't eat, drink, play, or really sleep if I'm not around. She won't let anyone else touch her. I think if I ever had to rehome Her it would be the end of her life. I don't really have any advise to add but I can definitely relate. I hope you find a solution that works for all of you.
  • Do you think there will be anytime at all for you and your dog to just hang out and enjoy each other? Maybe snuggles and tv while the kids nap? Trips to the park with kids and pup (on leash)? I realize some of this may sound idealistic, especially for those first few months. But what about in a year or two? 

If you think that there will be even just 45 minutes a day of you-dog time that you BOTH enjoy, maybe it's worth keeping him. I honestly think that with the right routine/precautions, you could make it work safely. Small things like a dog door, dog gates, busy dog toys, a daily dog walker, a fenced in yard, a crate, play dates with neighbor dogs, etc. can make a huge difference. I agree that the dog shouldn't be left alone with the kids, but that goes for ANY dog. If you do decide to keep him, find a place for him that's isolated from kids where he can be safe, happy, and entertained (on his own). A trainer could probably help you establish this and the training to send him there easily on command (plus dog gate to be sure). I also agree that dogs shouldn't just stay in the yard/crate all the time either, but if he's getting an hour or two a day with you and keeping himself entertained the rest of the time, he is doing pretty good IMO. (Think of all the dogs whose owners work all day.)

With that said, if you think you will have ZERO time for him or if you think dog-human time sounds like an extra chore, maybe he would be better off in another home. You'd be happier and he'd be happier. Sounds like you are being smart about how you find him a good home.... Stick to word of mouth. Be cautious of shelters and Internet strangers.

(Disclaimer: I haven't yet had dogs and children together, but I have worked through challenging dog situations. My rescue had serious separation anxiety, I lived in an apt and worked 10 hrs a day plus grad school at night. We were both miserable together for the first 6 months, but we eventually found an easy routine and have lived happily ever after for 4 years. I just really believe any issues can be solved with the right combo of training, toys, routines, and hired services/products. The question is just whether or not it's worth it to you (and it's OK if it isn't, as long as you find him a good home.)
  • Thanks for the ideas, perspectives, and support. @kennelchick, we have already dealt with a couple of bites, so unfortunately we know that will be an issue :-/ I think your point that just not all dogs (even good dogs!) should be around kids is true. I'll have to look at petfinder.com- I had not thought of that yet.

@NicholeL16 I hope you are able to work something out for your dog, too! To encourage you, we have been managing well with just one baby around for over a year now. Dogs generally understand that newborns are fragile, and they learn to deal with the new things (noises, crawling, etc) because they happen gradually. It's a really slow process, but may be manageable for you.

@strickland8052 We have all the things you mentioned, since we have had Otis for 5yrs already. Unfortunately putting him in a separate "safe" space for himself just gives him anxiety and he jumps and whines at the door/gate the whole time- he wants to always be right in the middle of things. I'm glad you were able to find something that worked for you and your dog!
  • samkins said:
    I'm not sure what your financial situation is but exercise and play are huge for pups and managing behavior. Would it be possible to use doggy daycare while your H is away? Or try an animal behaviorist now to get it under control before the twins arrive. 

I would exhaust all options before rehoming. That way No one can feel resentment and you don't have to feel as guilty, you did all you could. 
    I agree with all of this. Couldn't of said it better myself. That being said, I had a similar problem when I had two kids 17 months apart and our dog was super cranky with our 1 year old and I couldn't get her over it, and a 1 year old is just learning, but the dog was not forgiving. We tried keeping them separated but she was spending way way too much time in her crate which created a whole other set of issues cause she was mad. We re homed her to my grandmother and it's been the best decision of the most crappy situation we could of made. 

Good luck, and if it doesn't work out and you have to re home, don't feel bad. It happens. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Updated in the post section! I'll keep you posted further
  • I'm an animal lover of both cats and dogs, and I have a dog that has some issues, but we are going to work with her and creating a safe space for her, so I can definitely see both sides of this situation.  It sounds like you learned a lot through the day care/boarding scenario, @kmvisioli.  I would definitely try to ask questions so you can get a better profile/understanding of what made her less anxious while at boarding (no kids, etc. etc.).  This will help in finding a better permanent home for your dog than your current and future home environment would provide. I would guess that there are a few triggers in your household as dogs are very perceptive.  I'm hoping you are able to find a wonderful home for your dog.  He deserves to be in a place that he feels love and feels safe (as do you all). 

Having children should be a consideration when adopting a dog, and sometimes these are known triggers when adopting/rescuing. I don't know if that was a consideration previously.  If anyone considers adopting a pet in the near future, please do your research and ask for temperament tests with other animals/children/food aggression, etc.
  • kmvisiolikmvisioli member
    edited May 2016
    @piperella We have had Otis for 5 years, and have done a lot of training and work with him to overcome other issues from his past. We discovered he didn't do great with kids, and have been working on that since welcome our son a year ago, but I just don't think that particular anxiety and discomfort is something that all dogs can overcome. Like someone else mentioned, some dogs just shouldn't be around kids.

It would be one thing if Otis was content to be in a separate space from time to time or to go outside when he feels overwhelmed/anxious, but he always wants to be in the same room as everyone else (while simultaneously not wanting DS to be near him or touching him or looking at him...). 

To add: you mentioned triggers, and unfortunately that seems to just be the toddler being in the house. He is totally his normal, sweet self during nap time and after DS goes to bed, and he is actually great with him outside, but when everyone is just in the living room or wherever, he is notably stressed.
  • @kmvisioli  I am having such a similar situation.  We have a 95 lb. Alaskan Malamute.  He loves people, but small children are confusing for him.  Our daughter is 2 years old and they are constantly separated (unless we are holding her or she's strapped into her booster seat at the table).  We have tons of gates in our house and I'm always checking where both are.  It can be very exhausting.  I want to try putting them together, but after several almost bad situations (especially when our toddler had food in her hand), my husband won't even consider letting them get together.  Our daughter loves our dog and really all animals, but now she's even becoming anxious when she's eating at the table and he comes over to her.  I don't know what to do.  I am dreading having 2 and having to worry about our dog, but I know that if I find a new home for him I will always feel guilt and sadness.  He will be 9 years old in July and we've had him since he was 11 months old.  I wish you luck deciding what to do as this is not an easy decision.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Oct 16 March Siggy Challenge

Oct 16 Feb Siggy Challenge

• @Lauren0216 Sorry to hear you are dealing with the same issue! It is so hard when you love your pet and they are a part of the family, too. That is awful that your daughter is developing anxiety about your pup :( One thing I think about too is that my toddler is starting to imitate my frustrated noises at the dog- I don't want him learning those things already! I hope you guys are able to find a solution or have an easier time as your toddler gets bigger!
  • I'm glad your at peace with your decision and the dog and somewhere that it will be treated well! It's one of the hardest things you have to do as a pet owner. I feel for you! 
  • @kmvisioli I was just reading through this tread- I am glad you were able to find Otis a new home that will be a good fit for him! I think you did the right thing as a responsible dog owner. It's great that you can check in on him too!
  • I am glad it all worked out! Hard on the heart for sure, but it was meant to be by the sounds of it!
  • Rehoming a dog is so hard emotionally! I'm glad your guy is living it up with his new family. I had a German Shepard once who was a fabulous dog, but his previous owners never spent the time to train him how to behave in a house. I worked and worked with him, but the breeder he originally came from had a Schutzhund training facility and we were friends, so for the well being of him I returned him to the breeder. He was 2 years old at that point and they retrained him then adopted him out. Even though I knew he'd have a much better (and more stable) life it still hurt to drop him off.