January 2016 Moms

Feeding baby solids

cali1710cali1710 member
edited August 2016 in January 2016 Moms
just curious as to what a typical day of meals for baby is like for everyone. I feel boring with food for her. Weve strarted with purees just until she gets the hang of it and tried a bunch of stuff. This is kind of our menu. 

730 am- 7oz bottle, baby apple and spinach oatmeal

12- 6os bottle, some veggies and fruit

3pm- 6 oz bottle

630 -rice cereal and veggies with fruit for dessert. Then a 7oz bottle. 

Is that similar to everyone else? 

Re: Feeding baby solids

• We're doing baby-led weaning at home, and baby food at daycare. We're doing oatmeal every breakfast, but tweaking the flavor by adding puree and cinnamon.
    Our daycare day:
    5:45 6 oz. bottle
    8:00 baby oatmeal, doctored with puree and cinnamon. 
    11:00 5 oz. bottle
    2:00 2 oz. baby food.(1/2 container) and a 5 oz. bottle
    4:20 5 oz bottle
    our dinnertime: she gets a little of what we eat on her tray to play with/eat
    Bed time: 6 ounce bottle.

We have to do smaller portions more often because of reflux.
    The baby foods we've tried are most of the fruits (avoiding acidic things like citrus and pineapple, due to AR.,) and she also really likes garden vegetables, green beans, and sweet potatoes.
    Real foods that she really likes have been pork chop, cucumber, broccoli, strawberries, carrot sticks, and noodles. The only thing she has not liked has been mashed potatoes. Some things--like cucumber and strawberries, she can pretty much eat until they're gone. The rest, she chews/sucks on them. Broccoli, she likes, but she mainly bangs it on her tray to watch it crumble.
  • We usually do:

breakfast 7:00 - 2Tbs oatmeal or rice and 2oz fruit and a 6oz bottle

11:00: 7 oz bottle

3:00 6 oz bottle

dinner 5:30 - 2Tbs oatmeal/rice and 2oz veggie

bedtime - 7oz bottle 

his pediatrician recommended for us to wait to do a third meal till closer to 8 months. 

But it curious as to amounts of solids others are giving their baby. Sometimes I feel like this is a lot but he LOVES it and would probably eat more if I let him 
  • Loading the player...
  • Our schedule (on weekdays/daycare days):
    6:00- nurse then 2oz of oatmeal with fruit puree.
    9, 12, 3 - 6oz bottle
    5:30- 3 oz of veggie or fruit puree
    6:30 - nurse

• But it curious as to amounts of solids others are giving their baby. Sometimes I feel like this is a lot but he LOVES it and would probably eat more if I let him 
    I feed her a bottle then as much solids as she wants. Sometimes its a lot, sometimes its not. Lovessss fruit
  • mestokesmestokes member
    edited August 2016
    On days I'm home with LO, I BF and on days I'm sleeping from working night shift and my mom watches him, he gets bottles. I can't get him to take more than 4-5oz at a time because of his reflex

7:30 nurse, fruit puree and Cheerios (doesn't like oatmeal!)
    9:30 nurse or 4-5oz bottle
    12:30 nurse or 4-5oz bottle, veggie puree and puffs (LO loves crunching things with his teeth)
    4:00 nurse
    5:30 fruit and veggie puree and some of what we are eating if he's interested
    7:00 4-5oz bottle

He still eats 1-2x overnight :/
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    edited August 2016
    Right now I'm just doing a breakfast and a dinner all other times I'm nursing. Some things he eats are scrambled/ hard boiled eggs chopped peppers sometimes boiled and soft and sometimes raw to chew on, roasted asparagus, roasted green beans, roasted zucchini, boiled spinach, brown rice, steamed broccoli/cauliflower, avocado, plums, ground chicken, whole wheat spaghetti noodles, sweet potatoes and everything PP have said! I'm not really strict with having certain foods at certain times I usually just let him try whatever I have available to explore different things!

he also loves crunching puffs with his teeth!!! It's so cute haha 
  • Our schedule can vary at times but it's basically like this:

7:30/8 wake up 7-8 oz bottle
    9:00 breakfast-usually a fruit. Which she also loves! 
    12/12:30: 7-8 oz bottle 
    1:30- she gets a snack. Yogurt usually.
    4:00- 7-8 oz bottle 
    5:30- veggies 
    7:30/8-bottle. Ounces on this one can be different. Can be anywhere from 2-8 oz. 

• I'm impressed with these menus! DD started solids on Wednesday and hates it. We tried avocado twice for 2 days at dinner and she was so upset I decided to move onto oatmeal. I've been mixing both with breastmilk and she still makes a face like we're poisoning her. I'm thinking it's going to be fruit next so she's not totally traumatized by solids. I'm having trouble wanting to stick to the 3 day rule when she doesn't like what she's eating. She'd been watching us eat and chewing with us for a month plus. She also had been reaching for food at meals, so I thought she'd be totally ready for solids.
  • I'm impressed too. We've been trying solids for a few weeks now and about 95% of the time she's not into it. The stuff she seems to like, she only eats like a couple tastes, and most of it she spits out. She usually gives us this WTF face which is pretty funny, but I hope she starts liking food a bit more! She is still on a bottle strike so I'm wondering if this is part of it... like no way anything is going near that mouth that isn't a boob. Silly girl. 
  • 7:30-8:00- 6oz bottle

10:30-11:00- About 3-4 oz of food. At this point we mix it up. He's had so many different kinds of foods now and he hasn't boycotted one of them yet. We just make sure that whatever he eats, he has either peaches, prunes, or pears with it, as it ensures that he'll poop that day. He gets a 4 oz bottle after that. 

Around 2, another 4 oz bottle

Around 5- Another 3-4 oz of food, followed by a 4 oz. bottle

7-7:30- A 6 oz bottle then bed. Sometimes if he eats around 4:30 and then he's ready for bed by 6-6:30, we'll only give him a 4 oz. bottle before bed because he had just ate not even 3 hours previous. 

In 1 day he eats about a jar and a half of food and gets 24-26 oz of milk. I am hoping to spread his feedings out a little more and drop that 1, 4 oz bottle he gets mid afternoon. 

• jrouge12 said:
    I'm impressed with these menus! DD started solids on Wednesday and hates it. We tried avocado twice for 2 days at dinner and she was so upset I decided to move onto oatmeal. I've been mixing both with breastmilk and she still makes a face like we're poisoning her. I'm thinking it's going to be fruit next so she's not totally traumatized by solids. I'm having trouble wanting to stick to the 3 day rule when she doesn't like what she's eating. She'd been watching us eat and chewing with us for a month plus. She also had been reaching for food at meals, so I thought she'd be totally ready for solids.
    Have you tried cucumber? I quarter a cucumber and then cut off a piece about 3 inches long, and then (making sure the seeds are gone,) I just hand it to her. I don't know that she loves the taste, but she LOVES the way it feels on her gums. Sort of a natural teething ring. It's solid enough that it gets pulverized before anything comes off of it. Just a thought on something to try. Since your LO doesn't like it, maybe the soothing sensation will get them on board.
  • @jrouge12 are you doing strictly purees? We are doing mostly BLW but have also given him some purees which he reacts exactly as you described! He LOVES regular food he can feed himself though. Maybe something to look into if you're interested. If you are wanting to stick with only purees as I know a lot of people do my pediatrician said it can take 10 or more times of being offered a food before they may like it! 
  • kaym6 said:
    @jrouge12 are you doing strictly purees? We are doing mostly BLW but have also given him some purees which he reacts exactly as you described! He LOVES regular food he can feed himself though. Maybe something to look into if you're interested. If you are wanting to stick with only purees as I know a lot of people do my pediatrician said it can take 10 or more times of being offered a food before they may like it! 
    I second this. My LO only tolerated purees for a short period, now he gets annoyed with them and would much rather feed himself. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • People who startes with purees, how did you get to the chunkier food ? Just put some out and let them play? I'm trying to get her to eat normal but she just plays. Of course food is the ONE thing she doesnt put in her mouth. 
  • @cali1710 Same here! I thought it would be easy since everything goes in his mouth, but when we tried "real" food, he didn't know what to do with it so we've only done purees
  • @cali1710 exactly! I also tried real food and she looks confused. She also doesn't know what to do with it.  When I put food on her high chair table she just smashes it. But the remote on the other hand, right in the mouth
  • My LO can't feed herself except for mum-mum crackers. She tries with Cheerios but only gets like 1/10 in. She also won't eat purees. I spoon feed her but give her chunkier foods like slightly mashed banana or avocado. I've added quinoa to purees to give it some texture. I also mix purees with thick rice cereal to get her to eat them. She can eat blueberries cut in half.  She loves sucking on cucumbers, peppers and peach pieces. She occasionally gets small pieces off but either manages to get them down or just plays with them until I take it out of her mouth.
  • @cali1710 exactly! I also tried real food and she looks confused. She also doesn't know what to do with it.  When I put food on her high chair table she just smashes it. But the remote on the other hand, right in the mouth
    Omg. The remote! Have to hide it everyday.
  • @cali1710 @JanuarysBaby1 I am so sick of hiding the remote!!! Lol when we started BLW it seemed like he was mostly playing with it for a good 3 weeks before he actually started eating things. Also starting with things cut in shapes he could pick up helped. He preferred things shaped similar to carrot sticks more so than smaller pieces! My pediatrician is a big BLW advocate and she said the main point of the food right now is the play and getting used to textures and hand eye coordination so not to stress. It really did seem like overnight that he started actually putting the food in his mouth consistently although he still does a ton of playing! Lol 
  • Lol yes, the remote and everything else but food goes straight to her mouth! With food, she either mashes it or drops it on the floor. 
  • Anybody experiencing challenges giving baby milk (whether breast milk or formula) since starting solids?  My baby has always been a rather light nurser, usually nurses a max of 5 minutes at a time and does not take bottles (I tried with pumped milk but she either spits it out or plays with it without getting milk out of it).  Since starting solids, which she loves so far, she has even less interest in breastfeeding.  Most things I've read about feeding though say that until 1 year a baby should get most food from breast milk or formula and solids are to supplement and try out.  It seems my girl might be done before that and I'm wondering if others are experiencing this too and whether you still try to get baby to take milk or if you follow baby's lead...  My baby will breast feed a bit before naps and bedtime too, but otherwise it's sometimes a bit a struggle to get her to breastfeed.  To make sure she gets some baby milk, I pump and mix some milk with her food and give her to drink in a regular glass, but I doubt she gets the recommended minimum of 20 or so oz...  I'll check with a doc of course but am interested in hearing if others have similar experiences.
  • @juliaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa My LO definitely doesnt eat as much  formula as she used to. Obviously because I have been giving her solids but she doesn't finish her bottles anymore and I've decreased her bottle amounts on top of that.  I let her eat as much soids as she wants and then give her a bottle after. Eventually they're going to start eating more solid than formula but for sure talk to your doctor about it. it's better than not eating at all as long as they are getting some sort of food right ?
  • @juliaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa yes, ever since starting solids my LO doesn't take as much formula. She gets about 4 7-8oz bottles a day but sometimes she refuses her bedtime bottle after solids which means she only gets 3 bottles for the day. My pedi told me not to be surprised if she drops that 4th bottle completely. 
  • I give my babe his solids before the bottle. And he LOVES solids so far. His pedi recommended that if he starts drinking less than 24oz milk (till 9 months old) then we should reverse it and have him drink the formula first and food second. Also, if it gets to that point maybe even skip solids for a day or two so he gets use to milk being the primary nutrients. But I'd def reach out his pediatrician because s/he is more familiar with your babe then me. 
  • cali1710cali1710 member
    edited August 2016
    I should note the only time I don't feed solids first is the first bottle of the day. When shes really hungry she wont eat solids until shes had a bottle. So until 9 months she shouldnt go under 24oz? She eats 26 now so I'm not worried but never knew that
  • Thanks!  I breastfeed so can't really tell how much she takes, but it probably isnt 24oz.  I'd think she'd be hungry in the morning but that's when it's the hardest to get her to nurse, she'll do 2 mins top!!  I guess she knows what she wants and when she wants it though, can't really force a baby to eat...
  • jrouge12 said:
    I'm impressed with these menus! DD started solids on Wednesday and hates it. We tried avocado twice for 2 days at dinner and she was so upset I decided to move onto oatmeal. I've been mixing both with breastmilk and she still makes a face like we're poisoning her. I'm thinking it's going to be fruit next so she's not totally traumatized by solids. I'm having trouble wanting to stick to the 3 day rule when she doesn't like what she's eating. She'd been watching us eat and chewing with us for a month plus. She also had been reaching for food at meals, so I thought she'd be totally ready for solids.
    We are in the same boat. He hates solid. I tried almost everything but he persists. I've been giving fruits Purée but it's a fight, I wonder if I shall leave it and try later, I'm confused. 
  • @stephanienjer The cucumber sounds like a great idea. She has her bottom teeth and at her 6 month the doctor said her top gums were swollen. She might like that. Someone gave us those mesh feeders I was thinking of trying. We just tried baby mum mums. She kind of likes them. 

@kaym6 I'm just not sure what is OK to offer her. I'll keep the 10 times thing in mind. 

@Tachen The last few days when trying solids, I've just been putting DD on my lap and giving her a couple finger fulls of whatever puree. She still hates it but I'm hoping it takes away the stress from both of us. I'm just going to keep trying in small amounts. 

@juliaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa My DD can nurse super fast these days. She can clear both breasts in under 10 minutes. I thought for awhile too she wasn't nursing enough, so I'd pump afterwards and get less than an ounce. The only time she nurses slowly is when she's dragging out bedtime.

DD is getting her first bottle of formula tomorrow so we'll see how she takes that taste change. 
  • @jrouge12 according to his pediatrician any food is ok to offer in an appropriate form except for honey. I would definitely ask your own though as they may have a different opinion. I'm sure it's stressful but the main thing I've taken away is to try not to stress! I'm sure you're doing a great job whatever you decide to do :) there is a baby led weaning cookbook which is apparently extremely helpful, that is just what I've heard I do not have it! 
  • Has anyone fed LO prunes? (Not prune juice). I was thinking of giving him one in the mesh feeder but it's so much thicker than the other things I've fed him in it. 
  • I've been increasingly casual with what I give my little one. He gets vegetable purees and fruits but I also offer him stuff he can pick up. He loves to feed himself scrambled eggs and those little gerber puffs and banana halfs.  I've given him little bits of meats (chicken, pork) as long as they are super moist.  I let him gnaw on garlic bread at a restaurant the other day. His primary food source is still his bottle since a lot of the food I offer him ends up on the floor or in his highchair

He has gagged a couple of times but is always able to work it out quickly
  • Today my husband used a juicer and juiced a bunch of veggies and fruit, and LO seemed interested. So we let her chew on his cup and slowly drink some of what we had juiced. Well she loved it!!! And LO has been refusing a bottle and most food, so we were surprised and excited. I'm not sure if it was the taste of the combined veggies and fruit, the consistency (liquid vs textured), or using a real cup and not a bottle or sippy cup.... but maybe we'll be able to get her to try new foods and maybe even give her milk this way. We'll see I guess. 
  • @fishee333 thats awesome!! What a good idea! My LO has a cup obsession. We will give her water in a sippy cup but the second she sees a cup, thats all she wants. We let her drink out of it (as long as its just water) and loves it. Whatever works!! 
  • @mamadcb we feed W pureed prunes and she LOVES them.  Sometimes I combine then with applesauce or pears, but she'll also eat them by themselves.  I've found they're easier to puree after they've soaked in hot water for a while.
  • @akrenelk Thanks for the tip! I soaked it and then gave it to him in the mesh feeder and it was a HUGE hit!