January 2016 Moms

Crawling

My little one just started crawling today. I mean just started as in only takes a few strides before she is down. My question is what are you doing to protect their knees? For the most part she's on our area rug but soon she'll be going further on our hardwood and I don't want her to hurt her knees 

Re: Crawling

• We are almost crawling, and we also have hardwood floors. For now, we have those foam mats that look like puzzle pieces. We keep several linked together to get her a good space to be on the floor. We've used them since she started rolling, because for a while, she was dropping backward and cracking her head. We slide them behind a bookcase when we're not using them. We've been talking about getting her some kneepads, though, too. You can find them pretty easily on Zulily and Amazon.
  • My girl has been crawling for about a month now and when she ventures on the hard wood she bear crawls. 
  • Loading the player...
  • The good news is, babies aren't born with knee caps! Specifically for crawling!! They won't develop knee caps until their toddler years.  So luckily, your hardwood floors shouldn't do any damage at all, as babies were created to be able to crawl without injuring their extremities :)
  • The good news is, babies aren't born with knee caps! Specifically for crawling!! They won't develop knee caps until their toddler years.  So luckily, your hardwood floors shouldn't do any damage at all, as babies were created to be able to crawl without injuring their extremities :)
    I was just going to comment something similar!
  • l4rkl4rk member
    I didn't know the no knee caps thing but I also wasn't planning on doing anything about the hardwood. Our entire house is wood, laminate and tile (depending on room) and I figure she may as well learn to move on the surfaces she will be using every day for the next couple decades!
  • Out whole house is mostly wood too but I've been keeping him upstairs in the carpeted room for most of our floor time because has done some sudden drops and bumped his head pretty badly. Hopefully he'll stop doing that soon and I'll feel better about him being down on the wood floors
  • Did anyone else's sleep just get destroyed when their baby started crawling? He just started getting on his hands and knees maybe 3 days ago and now 2 out of the past 3 nights he's been AWFUL at night, had been STTN fine and now wakes up screaming and has been awake and won't sleep for over 2 hours now. I thought it was his teeth since he has five that I know of and who knows how many more coming in since he won't let me look but he got the Tylenol over an hour ago and still won't sleep, it seems like he wants to but is really agitated! Anyone experience messed up sleep when the crawling started? 
  • We had a couple of nights of him waking up and crawling around his crib, but he is back to his normal sleep routine now. It was almost like he had to relearn to reset his sleep cycle after being able to crawl around his crib. Hopefully he gets the idea quick and you get your sleep back! I did let LO wiggle around a fuss for a bit before going in to comfort him. 
  • Ours is up and down. She was sttn but has been up a couple nights this week and her naps went downhill but I think we're getting back on track! Developmental milestones are known to do it! Standing and walking are next! 
  • @cricket99 @cali1710 thanks for the input! I was in and out of his room for almost 4 hours straight last night. I don't know what on earth was happening haha he better have sprouted a molar or be an Olympic crawler this morning 
  • No crawling yet- but he's started rolling every way possible and sleep has vanished. He's also decided to start sleeping on his side/tummy..... 
    I just need sleep
  • No crawling yet- but he's started rolling every way possible and sleep has vanished. He's also decided to start sleeping on his side/tummy..... 
    I just need sleep
    Yesss rolling really screwed up sleep for us. But once she got used to sleeping on her tummy she slept soo well. Took a week or so but it doesnt last! They start rolling in their sleep and wakes them. Soo annoying lol. 
  • @carlyhammond the rolling did it for us too but it didn't last! I would just give him a few minutes to fuss when he rolled over before I flipped him and he eventually got used to it, I hope it goes quickly for you! 
  • @cali1710 and
    @kaym6
    he will roll onto his side and he likes to sleep that way. Which is alright with us- but sometimes when he goes to get on his side he will over estimate his turning poets and end up on his tummy- he can't get comfy this way. He will keep moving his head- putting his head in the blankets/pillow ( we co-sleep ) and most of the time his head is turned and he will move when his head gets pointed down. 
    So he flip him back to his back and then he will start fighting and wake up. 
    We have a crib at my moms house that we are going to get tomorrow and try to start letting him sleep by himself because we are getting too nervous and we are losing sleep as well.