September 2016 Moms

Toddler Sleep Advice

Okay ladies, I am desperate to find a solution and help my 3.5 yo stay asleep at night. We have been going on week 5 of non stop wake up calls that last anywhere from 1-4 hours. Before that I had a couple good months of sleep and before she moved into her big girl bed she was sleeping 12 hours straight.

very rarely does she ever say it's from a dream/nightmare. She only tells me she just wants to mommy to sleep/lay with her. 

Usually, I wouldn't be stressing AS much as I am now, however, there is absolutely no way I can continue to get up with her while getting up 3 or more times for a newborn. She already has a special blanket she has had since birth but it's not doing the trick anymore. 

Out of desperation I even tried giving her a binkie back at night. It worked one night. I've tried no night lights, night lights, we have a sound machine and the list goes on. 

I am looking for any tips or advice to maybe help her stay asleep and not cry for mommy. 

What I have tried: Binkies, bribing with a prize in the morning, tried getting her relaxed and telling her that mama needs to go back to sleep. She just screams and screams which then wakes up her little sister in the room next to her. Anyone have ANY advice?! 

DD #1 3/26/13
Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
DD #2 3/31/15
DD #3 8/25/16

Re: Toddler Sleep Advice

• Have you considered having your current 2 share a room? It was a rough transition when we moved our two in together (2 & 3.5) because they thought it was crazy play time, but now they are both sleeping great. Maybe she'll have some comfort by not being alone?
  • Have you considered having your current 2 share a room? It was a rough transition when we moved our two in together (2 & 3.5) because they thought it was crazy play time, but now they are both sleeping great. Maybe she'll have some comfort by not being alone?
    cam (17 months) is still in her crib and sleeps around 12-13 hours a night. I would hate to have her sleep be interrupted as well. We thought about putting them together once Cameron is around 2ish and D is 4. 

DD #1 3/26/13
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • Loading the player...
  • Has your DH tried to go in to console her when she cries for you?  It's very possible she's playing you because she knows she's not gonna be playing it solo for much longer.  She may stop if you take a hard line with her.  Have your DH go in and say, "It's me or no one."  Then on night too, be very clear about setting a time limit/number of times you're willing to engage her.  At this stage, this is where CIO can be the most useful.

Transitioning my DD to a big girl bed was the HARDEST act of parenting I've had to date.  She did the exact same things you're describing and it was awful.  We were all sleep deprived and it was just a mess.  Once I laid down the law and she realized I wasn't playing her games anymore, she basically shrugged it off and started going to bed/staying in bed without issue.

Good luck!

Piper, 4/10/10
    Connor, 3/16/15
    Morgan, EDD 9/22/16

• I don't have personal experience because my daughter is still in her crib and will stay there as long as possible, but a friend of mine literally locked her kids in their room...when they would wake up, they would whine a bit, walk around, play, and then just go back to sleep...she had to let them cry it out a bit a couple nights to get past the hump, but now she sleeps right through their middle of the night antics (she ensures their rooms are verrrry safe...all furniture anchored to wall, closets locked, etc)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Flowr4246 said:
    Has your DH tried to go in to console her when she cries for you?  It's very possible she's playing you because she knows she's not gonna be playing it solo for much longer.  She may stop if you take a hard line with her.  Have your DH go in and say, "It's me or no one."  Then on night too, be very clear about setting a time limit/number of times you're willing to engage her.  At this stage, this is where CIO can be the most useful.

Transitioning my DD to a big girl bed was the HARDEST act of parenting I've had to date.  She did the exact same things you're describing and it was awful.  We were all sleep deprived and it was just a mess.  Once I laid down the law and she realized I wasn't playing her games anymore, she basically shrugged it off and started going to bed/staying in bed without issue.

Good luck!
    I think this is great advice, and a huge possibility. Set the limits, make it clear that you mean business, and do not break no matter what. Consistency is key! 
    FORMER USERNAME: @runningisrad

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Consistency!!! To be honest, it sounds like she's not only getting away with this, but she's getting treats along the way AND getting alone time with her pregnant mama...any attention is good attention in her eyes esp. with a new sister on the way. I know your DH travels a lot so waiting for him to be around to help break the cycle (he goes into her room instead of you) may not be feasible by the time baby is here. 

Find something she is DYING to have...create a sticker chart in which she has to stay in bed however many nights in order to get it. 

There are also lamps that glow green based on a timer indicating it is ok to wake up (many kid clocks can do the same). 

I have also come across a sleep superhero girl (she is a stuffed doll) that glows in the night indicating that she is protecting the child that she is sleeping with. Not sure if a book goes along with her.

Consistency. No means no. It'll get harder before it gets easier I'm guessing.
  • It sounds like you've tried talking to her but I'm going to offer this advice just in case it isn't quite to the extent that I'm suggesting. I've had my own issues with my three year old and sleep so I get it. Talking it out with my daughter was huge. Acknowledge your daughter's feelings and explain as calmly as possibly why you can't sleep with her. Ask her if she can tell you why she doesn't want to go to sleep. Explain to her that everyone else sleeps in their own beds but you will cuddle her in the morning once it's light out. Rub her back for a few minutes and then tell her that you're going back to your bed and that she needs to stay in her own bed. Repeat if necessary but stay calm and firm.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It sounds like you've tried talking to her but I'm going to offer this advice just in case it isn't quite to the extent that I'm suggesting. I've had my own issues with my three year old and sleep so I get it. Talking it out with my daughter was huge. Acknowledge your daughter's feelings and explain as calmly as possibly why you can't sleep with her. Ask her if she can tell you why she doesn't want to go to sleep. Explain to her that everyone else sleeps in their own beds but you will cuddle her in the morning once it's light out. Rub her back for a few minutes and then tell her that you're going back to your bed and that she needs to stay in her own bed. Repeat if necessary but stay calm and firm.
    This. When my 3 year old has bouts of not sleeping, we sit her down before bed and have a very firm conversation about sleeping in our own beds and what time we are able to get out of bed.  
  • I'll add that if you are going to move them into the same room eventually, I actually recommend doing so while DD2 is still in her crib. The only thing that prevented complete chaos for us was having DS2 confined during the transition. We went through another little adjustment phase once he moved to a bed, but it was pretty easy.

• We have a bunny clock like the one @Sbrown721 mentioned above. Both kids are really good at staying in their beds until bunny wakes up. If they wake up at night, I just show them that bunny is still sleeping and so it's time for them to sleep and they can come into mommy's room as soon as bunny wakes up.
  • @flowr4246 when DH is home and not traveling I make him go up there every single time she cries for me. She will literally scream her head off until I come up there. sometimes I don't and I just bury my head in the pillow and listen to the screams. Eventually DH gives up and it's back to square one. 

@noelani42  we actually do have a lock her on her door. Long story short, our master is downstairs and her bed is upstairs. She was coming out at night and traveling in the dark through the house. We decided it's safer for her to be in her room than getting hurt navigating the whole house in the dark, especially going down stairs. The kicker, she literally tries to kick the door down. Which, wakes up Cameron. I'm seriously so confused!! 

@runningisrad i probably could be more strict with her. Last night enough was enough and I walked out and listened her to bang and scream for 10 minutes while I just cried. It's hard to just listen to her like that especially when she is waking up her sister. 

@PSUBecky23  that's exactly what I do almost every single time. It works sometimes where I can just say "mommy is staying here for 5 minutes then she needs to go back to her bed" and I give her a kiss and hug and walk out. It's not always that easy and I've been trying that route every single night for the past week without budging. 

I am am afraid she might have some sort of anxiety or something? I just don't understand how she went from an amazing sleeper to this. I am going to have a chat with her pediatrician since I've tried basically everything (besides the sticker chart)

last night was particular hard and led to me having a panic attack at 2am. 

DD #1 3/26/13
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • I am going to look into those clocks thanks! 

DD #1 3/26/13
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • Does Cameron stay up long if she gets woken up? Mine used to share a wall and after awhile, it didn't phase them if one woke up. My younger one is currently teething and randomly wakes up screaming some nights. The older one either sleeps through it or literally puts his pillow over his head. Maybe Cameron will get used to it and you can continue with letting her throw a tantrum until she wears herself out?
  • Sleep stuff is so much harder when you have more than one kid to consider.
  • https://alphamom.com/parenting/toddler-parenting/best-kids-clocks-to-stay-in-bed-longer/

Not sure if Amazon has any updated ones since this article came out, but thought this may help you  :)
  • Do you have a monitor in her room? I remember we went through a phase with DS1 and I showed him where the camera was and that mommy can see and hear him if he needs to talk to me. If he needed something, then he could just call me over the camera (not scream and cry) and I would respond immediately, but refuse to go into his room.

• @Sbrown721 awesome thank you! 

you chicks are great. from most of the responses so far, i feel like i need to be more strict with her. i just feel at a loss because it breaks my heart to listen to her scream like that. then of course i just worry too much about Cam getting up, however @fireflygirl12 Cam doesn't stay up long when she does get up....buutttt i think that is because once Cam gets up I rush upstairs to get D quiet again. 

DD #1 3/26/13
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • Sbrown721 said:
    https://alphamom.com/parenting/toddler-parenting/best-kids-clocks-to-stay-in-bed-longer/

Not sure if Amazon has any updated ones since this article came out, but thought this may help you  :)
    We have that bunny one. The part where it shows the time actually has a picture of either a sun with yellow backlight or a moon with blue backlight depending on whether they should be up. It's super simple.

• Nothing to offer besides sympathy. My 3yo was a great sleeper for a brief period, and but now she wakes up screaming most nights. Fortunately, she's ok with H offering the comfort, too, so we trade off. But I know that's not an option for you. I'm so sorry, I hope some of this advice works! I think we'll try one of the clocks too. Sounds better than our current "maybe it will all work itself out when baby gets here" approach. :/ 
  • seitzy3 said:
    @Sbrown721 awesome thank you! 

you chicks are great. from most of the responses so far, i feel like i need to be more strict with her. i just feel at a loss because it breaks my heart to listen to her scream like that. then of course i just worry too much about Cam getting up, however @fireflygirl12 Cam doesn't stay up long when she does get up....buutttt i think that is because once Cam gets up I rush upstairs to get D quiet again. 

Yep. I think DS2 wasn't as good of a sleeper as a baby b/c we would always rush right in out of fear that he would wake up DS1, rather than letting him fall back asleep. It's hard.
  • I second what @fireflygirl12 said about the monitor...my daughter will sometimes call me, and I'll speak to her in the monitor which makes it so I don't have to go in...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• abberson said:
    Nothing to offer besides sympathy. My 3yo was a great sleeper for a brief period, and but now she wakes up screaming most nights. Fortunately, she's ok with H offering the comfort, too, so we trade off. But I know that's not an option for you. I'm so sorry, I hope some of this advice works! I think we'll try one of the clocks too. Sounds better than our current "maybe it will all work itself out when baby gets here" approach. :/ 
    It's so tough. I am under the mindset then when baby actually gets here it will just be worse because of the less attention she will be getting during the day. I have two weeks to figure this out! if not, then I will just be a half alive mombie for the next couple years. 

DD #1 3/26/13
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • noelani42 said:
    I second what @fireflygirl12 said about the monitor...my daughter will sometimes call me, and I'll speak to her in the monitor which makes it so I don't have to go in...
    ya'll are offering all this advice and support, which i totally appreciate, and I'm just here saying Yup, been there, tried that. I feel like a failure at this point. Last night I did talk in the monitor for about 10 minutes before I had to go up there. I swear I feel like I've tried almost everything.

I'm wondering along with the clocks if I should offer to take her to the store and pick out a "protection buddy" or something along those lines that she can sleep with. Or do you think that is just rewarding her behavior before it get's better???

DD #1 3/26/13
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • @seitzy3 Let her focus on one or the other...make a REALLY big deal out of either the clock or the protection buddy...I think buying both will be too much for her and could become distracting esp with the limited amount of time that you have.
  • I had pretty bad anxiety when I was a kid. I was always scared at night, but thought something would happen to mom if I told her what I was afraid of. Some things that helped me were mom walking through the house with me to show me all the doors were locked and the windows were too. She also told me the Windows were break-proof, which I believed until about 10 years ago...haha my mom also had my older brother "buy" me a stuffed animal and I would sleep with it. She made me some bunnies too that I slept with every night that helped. She put on her perfume and then rubbed her wrist on the bunnies so they smelled like her, which was comforting. I slept with those for years, and now DD carries them around. Does D have an older cousin, or grandparent or someone that could give her a protector stuffed animal that would make her feel safer? It meant something that my brother was the one that gave it to me. Sometimes she would pray with me, but my anxiety was partly due to religion and some things I learned in a pretty extreme church that my friend went to about the mark of the beast and stuff, so that was a lot of my fear, so I'm not sure I would encourage prayer if there's any possibility she's fearful of that because it just made me anxious if I didn't get to pray before bed because then, definitely going to hell and all of my family is going to die. Lol 

i dont know if any of this would help her, I know jt would help me for a night or two and then I was right back at it. I think it would've helped me if mom knew to say to me, "nothing bad will happen to me, or anyone in our family, or anyone we know or care about if you tell me what you're afraid of". (Yes, she would have to list all of those possibilities, because, anxious) Lol 
  • seitzy3 said:
    noelani42 said:
    I second what @fireflygirl12 said about the monitor...my daughter will sometimes call me, and I'll speak to her in the monitor which makes it so I don't have to go in...
    ya'll are offering all this advice and support, which i totally appreciate, and I'm just here saying Yup, been there, tried that. I feel like a failure at this point. Last night I did talk in the monitor for about 10 minutes before I had to go up there. I swear I feel like I've tried almost everything.

I'm wondering along with the clocks if I should offer to take her to the store and pick out a "protection buddy" or something along those lines that she can sleep with. Or do you think that is just rewarding her behavior before it get's better???
    I'm just throwing out every possible thing we have tried, but assuming you've likely btdt. Like @sbrown721 said, it might be overwhelming to do too many new things at once. I would maybe try a wake up clock, explain that's when she can get up or when you'll come in her room, and then try to stick to your guns and not go in. But I really suck at tough love in practice. 
  • seitzy3 said:
    noelani42 said:

Maybe along those lines you could try a lavender EO spray to act as protection from whatever she's scared of. (It's monster spray in my house.) Lavender EO has soothing/relaxing properties too. I make one with just water and oil.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't think it's rewarding her behavior unless you think she's only doing it to
    get attention. If you honestly think she's afraid, then I think getting her a buddy would be a great idea. I know you said one time she was shaking when you went in. I was legitimately terrified when I was a kid and my bunnies helped me a lot. 
  • My 2.5 year old went through this last month. We could not pin point the reason. The only thing I could think of is all of the changes going on. She knows babies will be coming home soon, she started potty training, and there is a bunch of baby gear in the house where it wasn't before. She seems to have gotten over it for now let's hope. 
    We did let her sleep in bed with us one night, however no one got any actual sleep as she decided to play with the dogs and try to play with my face and my husbands face. 
    Have you tried a night light?
  • I had the same issue with DS2.  DS1 is a fantastic sleeper and DS2 isn't and it drove me MAD.  He used to get up all the time and just ask for me to rub his back or lay with him or "one more hug"... it was always something, but never anything important. He's 4 now and we seem to have gotten over the hump now, but 3 1/2 was when it was at it's worst.

I started to learn what things he would ask for and gave them to him right before bed.  Our bedtime routine is long, but it works.  We do potty, bath, brush our teeth, read books, small drink of water (like minuscule), the potty again, then pick out two toys to take to bed, then prayers, rub his back, lay with him for a minute or two, then it's goodnight.  I told him that if I had to come in there, for any reason, then I would take away his toys.  I only had to do that a couple times then he learned I was serious.  

FWIW - we also have one of those kid clocks that turns green when they can get up.  It's great!

Like pp said, attention is attention.  It's hard, but as long as you know there's nothing "wrong" and she just wants to be with you, you need to be firm.  I think giving her a few minutes of mommy time, right before she goes down may help too, since it sounds like that's what she really wants.  You might also need to talk with her, on her level, to tell her how important it is that everyone sleeps in their own beds.  It will probably take a few nights and it might get worse before it gets better, but once she realizes she can't play you anymore, she'll give it up.  Like others have said - be consistent.  Hang in there mama!
  • Also not sure if you have this option but we have been letting one of the dogs stay in her room at night until she is asleep. That also seems to have helped. 
  • I can definitely empathize. DS1 was an awesome sleeper from newborn to about 16 months and then at that point, started waking up at night several times and was inconsolable unless we put him in bed with us. That nighttime disaster went on until this past April when he was just over 2.5. We had put him in a big boy bed around age 2 because we figured we could sit in there with him to at least make him go to sleep in his bed (which he did, but then always ended up with us).

Anyway, in April, we started telling him before bed that he would get a reward if he stayed in his room all night. Surprisingly, that worked for him. If he woke up and cried in the middle of the night, DH would go in there and firmly tell him "You have to lay back down and then tomorrow mommy will give you xyz." For a few nights he did cry out for us a few times but we just stayed really consistent and said you have to stay in Calvin's bed, you can't come in our bed and reminded him of his reward. He got it after a few nights and the rest is history. We stopped rewarding him after about 6 weeks and he kept sleeping.

Once he realized that no matter what, we weren't letting him back in our room and we just kept telling him to lay back down, he stopped crying for us. He started looking forward to getting his prizes--which were usually DD munchkins or something else equally terrible like a cupcake or going to the playground. I would have fed him donuts every single day at that point if it meant that he would sleep through the night!! I saw you tried rewards already though...I guess I would ask her and see what she wants her reward to be and then give it to her in the morning. That's what we ended up doing with Cal--he would get a choice of a few different rewards before bed.

It's too bad that the paci only worked for her the one night because if a reward system didn't work, if I were you, I would give that thing back in a heartbeat if it would make her sleep!! We actually just took DS1's away like 3 weeks ago and I was so nervous that he would go back to not sleeping without it, but he has been fine thank God. But believe me, if not having the paci would have interrupted his sleep, I would have given it right back. With a newborn coming, I think the top priority is just getting your other kid(s) to sleep in any reasonable way possible! I know a 3.5 year old having a paci isn't ideal but you can always work on that later when she is sleeping well again. Good luck!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • @MrsVoorhees I know you and I have talked about it multiple times. Sounds like you had it a little rough as a youngen. I put a call into her pediatrician and made an appointment next week so I can have a nice long chat with her about my concerns. Maybe she can refer me to someone that could help further because at this point, I think she may have some sort of anxiety, especially related to me. She is all about mommy all the time. Recently she has even been crying when I drop her off at school which she never used to do. Unfortunately, we have absolutely no family here. Mine on east coast and H's on west. However, maybe I can ask H to bring home a protection buddy for her and explain to her what it means. 

@Tippy05 our situations sound similar. I also have a strict bedtime routine with her. Potty, brush teeth, get a glass of milk or water, read a few books and then I will rub her back for a few minutes and leave. It's never an issue when I leave then but in the middle of the night it's a different story. Hoping it gets better soon, thanks! :) 

DD #1 3/26/13
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • How long has she been sleeping in a big girl bed? Has this been happening ever since you transitioned her to a new bed or is this a new behavior? It's normal to have a difficult phase if she's in a new bed.

I would suggest temporarily using a lock to keep her in her room. The first few nights you may have to stay by the door and sing or soothe, and there will certainly be a lot of tears, but the most important thing is that you do NOT give in and go into her room or lay down with her or this behavior will likely continue. Every time you go in it is reinforcing the behavior.

If that seems too harsh then start taking things away. I still have evenings/nights that are challenging with DD, but I can tell when she really needs something or when she is just playing me for attention at this point. I am now quick to get stern with her and start taking away privileges. It's hard, but a mama's gotta do what a mama's gotta do. You could take away her blankie and say "the next time you get up or cry for mommy, the blankie is mine" or something similar with another toy that she sleeps with or wants in bed with her. You could buy her a new toy to cuddle with and use that as leverage also.

I would make sure to try any new plan ONLY when your DH is there to help partner you through it. If she knows that daddy isn't there to step in, it will be impossible to enforce on the first night or two.  

I used this site as reference A LOT with DD1's sleep and it was enormously helpful. There isn't as much information about older toddler's sleep, but here is an entry you might find helpful:

https://www.preciouslittlesleep.com/when-your-kid-wont-stay-in-bed/

I know it has to be so hard on you right now. I am thinking of you and hope you can find a solution before baby arrives <3 
    Anniversary       

• Okay so I just realized this is a MOTN thing and not bedtime. I think it would be fine to go check on her one time, and that be it. As in, go in, sit by her and soothe (but don't lay down with her) and then not go in again after you've made sure she is okay. 
    Anniversary       

• How long has she been sleeping in a big girl bed? Has this been happening ever since you transitioned her to a new bed or is this a new behavior? It's normal to have a difficult phase if she's in a new bed.

I would suggest temporarily using a lock to keep her in her room. The first few nights you may have to stay by the door and sing or soothe, and there will certainly be a lot of tears, but the most important thing is that you do NOT give in and go into her room or lay down with her or this behavior will likely continue. Every time you go in it is reinforcing the behavior.

If that seems too harsh then start taking things away. I still have evenings/nights that are challenging with DD, but I can tell when she really needs something or when she is just playing me for attention at this point. I am now quick to get stern with her and start taking away privileges. It's hard, but a mama's gotta do what a mama's gotta do. You could take away her blankie and say "the next time you get up or cry for mommy, the blankie is mine" or something similar with another toy that she sleeps with or wants in bed with her. You could buy her a new toy to cuddle with and use that as leverage also.

I would make sure to try any new plan ONLY when your DH is there to help partner you through it. If she knows that daddy isn't there to step in, it will be impossible to enforce on the first night or two.  

I used this site as reference A LOT with DD1's sleep and it was enormously helpful. There isn't as much information about older toddler's sleep, but here is an entry you might find helpful:

https://www.preciouslittlesleep.com/when-your-kid-wont-stay-in-bed/

I know it has to be so hard on you right now. I am thinking of you and hope you can find a solution before baby arrives <3 
    Wow thank you! :) 
    she has been sleeping in her Big girl bed since late February. The transition actually went really smooth and she slept like a champ. Then around her 3rd birthday at the end of March everything switched. It was on and off, she would sleep great for a couple weeks then have a horrible week and so on and so forth. Then I had a couple good months from May-June. July hit and she's been up every night since. I think I may have gotten two, maybe three nights of actual sleep since then. 

We do have a lock to keep her in her room since she learned how to break open the baby gate and venture downstairs to our room multiple times a night. The problem is that when she wakes up she starts kicking and banging the door on top of screaming. So naturally, I just run upstairs because Cams room is right next to hers and I don't want two kids up. 

H doesn't arrive back home until Thursday so I will take your advice and not try taking anything away until he is home to help! Thanks so much, I'll get to reading tonight :)

DD #1 3/26/13
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • The very best of luck to you, tonight, @seitzy3 !!!
  • We also just switched to the big girl bed and it was a tough transition! If we weren't in bed with her until she fell asleep she would scream, cry, get out of bed etc. After a week of this and my hips aching from laying in her tiny bed we decided to go the tough route and it worked. We taught her that if she really needs us she has to say "mommy, daddy I need you" and that was the only time we would go in. She cried a lot and if she got out of bed, we went in, put her back into her bed, told her we loved her and just left. No delays - it was very hard but after 3 nights she was only whimpering when we left and now a month later
    she sometimes will whimper but mostly rolls over and goes to sleep on her own. It took 2 full weeks of tantrums and tears though. She loves Elmo and the book, Elmo got a big bed, worked very well for her. We probably read it 20 times a night before bed. We also keep her bed full of her blankies and favorite baby dolls. Good luck! It's so tough and the mom guilt is intense! Just remember you are teaching her a life skill to sleep alone and fall asleep on her own.